Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 406378 times)

Offline solls108

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
First take the LSAT see what you get and then worry about where to apply.
+1

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 03, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
+1

Did you really just +1 a comment from 2 weeks ago?  :o You gotta find better ways to procrastinate...

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 03, 2015, 11:42:01 PM »
If you ever do go to law school, don't EVER take a 24 hour take-home exam. They are terrible. (I'm in the middle of one now.)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »
If you ever do go to law school, don't EVER take a 24 hour take-home exam. They are terrible. (I'm in the middle of one now.)
Word limit or not?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »
First take the LSAT see what you get and then worry about where to apply.
+1

Speaking of which, any tips for LSAT preparation? Books you recommend? Class instructors who are great?

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:27 AM »

Word limit or not?

Page limit. But what makes it bad is because you have 24-hours to do it, the professors demand a polished product.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #546 on: May 04, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »
Speaking of which, any tips for LSAT preparation? Books you recommend? Class instructors who are great?
Lsat by fisch. But no matter how you study you need to set a side at least a couple months to study at least 6 hours a day. And take real timed and simulated practice tests, preferably all of the recent ones. The lsat can be mastered and learned it's a question of how long it takes for each person. The questions are repetitive at a certain point that's why you need to learn all the previous tests well.

Also join top law school forums they have an invaluable amount of information there.
Did you really just +1 a comment from 2 weeks ago?  :o You gotta find better ways to procrastinate...
I always thought take home tests would be the absolute worst.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 04, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
I never did a 24 hour. I had two 8 hours, both as a 3L

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
Lsat by fisch. But no matter how you study you need to set a side at least a couple months to study at least 6 hours a day. And take real timed and simulated practice tests, preferably all of the recent ones. The lsat can be mastered and learned it's a question of how long it takes for each person. The questions are repetitive at a certain point that's why you need to learn all the previous tests well.

Also join top law school forums they have an invaluable amount of information there. I always thought take home tests would be the absolute worst.

+100
 And wow, JJ advising a DDF member to join another forum?!?!  :o

Lucky you. Just submitted! And now have to study for a 12 hour on Wednesday  >:(

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »
+100
 And wow, JJ advising a DDF member to join another forum?!?!  :o

Mods...?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 04, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
Does anyone have personal experience with Fisch? His class is a decent amount more money than other courses, so I just wanted to make sure he's much better than whatever else is available.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 04, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
Does anyone have personal experience with Fisch? His class is a decent amount more money than other courses, so I just wanted to make sure he's much better than whatever else is available.
Yes, I did Fisch and it was money well spent. Especially for how he helps you master games.

Reading comp advice is a bit lacking, but it seems to be that way everywhere. Just have to do a lot of them and make you own way of doing it.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 04, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

Reading comp advice is a bit lacking, but it seems to be that way everywhere. Just have to do a lot of them and make you own way of doing it.
+1 There doesn't seem to be a system for reading comprehension. I took powerscore and my instructor said the same thing. Keep doing them, find what works, and stick with that.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 04, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
I recall a three day take-home exam in Accounting for Lawyers. The class was pass/fail (with the exception of a couple of gunners who took it for a grade), so as long as the 12 pages submitted corresponded remotely to the financial statements analyzed, you were fine. There were several 8-hour take-homes which I made a point of taking in school with other exam-takers, which made for less distraction.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2015, 02:33:31 PM »
I personally did not use him, but just keep in mind as you prepare, that the difference between an average score and an exceptional score can mean significant $$$ scholarship incentives from better schools. You could be saving many multiples of the cost of the class in tuition reduction.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 04, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
There were several 8-hour take-homes which I made a point of taking in school with other exam-takers, which made for less distraction.
I like that idea, makes a lot of sense.

I personally did not use him, but just keep in mind as you prepare, that the difference between an average score and an exceptional score can mean significant $$$ scholarship incentives from better schools. You could be saving many multiples of the cost of the class in tuition reduction.
For me it was T14 or bust. So it was a no brainier to pay the extra money for who I was told is the best guy out there.

So besides scholarship money it can be the difference of being in a law school that gets jobs or one that doesn't get jobs.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 04, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »
I didn't use anyone for LSAT.  I don't think I even knew they existed.  Call it luck.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #557 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
  I didnt go to kaplans or any other classes (no idea what fisch is), and found in my small sample size that my smarter friends did much worse than i think they would have done had they studied hard on their own. I used a used "LSAT 180" advanced book (this was back in 2003) from Kaplan, a bad kaplan compter program, and 2 used books of 10 actual tests (yeshiva handme-downs).
i erased all the answers etc. (took some time actually) then did it all from scratch and redid the tests, making sure to figure out each time why i got a wrong answer and burning it in my skull.
I find that some classes have a laid back feel and cater to the person who has a 150 and wants a 160, but for those who start out at 160, the best thing is prob your own regimen. i studied hard for one full month, and gained about 11 points on my initial cold test.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 05, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
  I didnt go to kaplans or any other classes (no idea what fisch is), and found in my small sample size that my smarter friends did much worse than i think they would have done had they studied hard on their own. I used a used "LSAT 180" advanced book (this was back in 2003) from Kaplan, a bad kaplan compter program, and 2 used books of 10 actual tests (yeshiva handme-downs).
i erased all the answers etc. (took some time actually) then did it all from scratch and redid the tests, making sure to figure out each time why i got a wrong answer and burning it in my skull.
I find that some classes have a laid back feel and cater to the person who has a 150 and wants a 160, but for those who start out at 160, the best thing is prob your own regimen. i studied hard for one full month, and gained about 11 points on my initial cold test.
Fisch doesn't just teach strategy he also gives you a regiment to work by for studying.

Obviously every person is different. I believe I heard once that something like 1/3 of Fischs students get 170+. Now that could be a lot of factors but it still shows something to me. Also I've seen him improve students by 20+ points from the practice test.

As I mentioned for me the games are his strongest point. I could barely do a single game before his class, going into test day I could finish any game section with at least 5 minutes to spare, after double checking all my work.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
As I mentioned for me the games are his strongest point. I could barely do a single game before his class, going into test day I could finish any game section with at least 5 minutes to spare, after double checking all my work.

I didn't take Fisch but I've heard that he's great too. Though, the games do have a system so I wouldn't necessarily go to him just for that. I did PowerScore and I had them down like JJ too. But it he gives you a regiment for studying then maybe it's worth it because my instructor didn't really do that...