Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 406364 times)

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #720 on: May 07, 2015, 03:18:08 AM »
What is the issur then? It's different than going on a packed train?
For one, inadvertent vs. purposeful touching (at least I hope so).

Offline ah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 07, 2015, 03:24:34 AM »
Wow. Just wow. I have no idea WTF your problem is, but there is clearly something wrong with you. While most people here are having a mature discussion, you don't stop putting people who have differing opinions down. People that grow up in MO homes don't always wear yamulkas? Since when? Do you even realize how ridiculous of a statement that is? Get off your high horse and take your crap elsewhere. Just because someone doesn't dress the way that you do or have the same exact opinions that you do doesn't give you the right to put them down. And yes, I reread what I just wrote before posting it, and tried toning it down a bit, but there were no two ways about it.
not sure why you took such offense to this statement, MO can mean sooo many different things these days, and I know MANY people, friends and relatives as well who consider themselves MO and do take off their yarmulkas in certain situations (and have grown up with parents doing that as well), work being a big one but not the only one. There are also many MO who wouldn't dream of it. Thats why the title MO has very little meaning without explanation. (modern left, modern right, liberal, or machmir etc.)
Disclaimer: I am not following this thread, and am just commenting on this particular reaction, if I'm missing the context, I apologize .

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 07, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »
not sure why you took such offense to this statement, MO can mean sooo many different things these days, and I know MANY people, friends and relatives as well who consider themselves MO and do take off their yarmulkas in certain situations (and have grown up with parents doing that as well), work being a big one but not the only one. There are also many MO who wouldn't dream of it. Thats why the title MO has very little meaning without explanation. (modern left, modern right, liberal, or machmir etc.)
Disclaimer: I am not following this thread, and am just commenting on this particular reaction, if I'm missing the context, I apologize .

I'm aware that there are people that classify themselves as MO that don't always wear their yamulkas. I am also aware that MO encompasses a wide range of people. The reason that I got upset at OP is because he made a blanket statement that was incorrect, degrading, and a clear indicator of his disrespect towards those that don't see eye-to-eye with him. Most of his other posts on the topic gave off the same impression as well. This last one was even worse than the rest, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm all for having this discussion. I find it interesting to hear everyone's take on the matter and their personal experiences, but there's no reason to put people down.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #723 on: May 07, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
Let's take a different scenario for a second, that isn't so contentious, and I actually had yesterday. A co worker is an avid baker, and she offered me, all excited, a piece of something she had baked.
Her, all excited, in front of several others: Want to try a piece of this cake I made, it's really good, and I never made it before
Again, I'm not coming to knock anybody, or say anyone's doing the wrong thing. It's a very difficult call each time. But to say that one who is machmir is wrong is also not right.
u make a pretty good point re the baker case, except that there there is no animus assumed, as opposed to the no handshake, which sometimes may lead to more animus (altz mysogeny and/or basic social requirements, dietary restrictions are always more complicated).
- re the hug/kiss paralegal, again, halacha pretty much comes down to cost/benefit analysis (except for the big 3), and kissing/hugging is a real big line that we generally wont give up on. i have had that from my secretary, and i told her i just cant do that and she took it well (because i give her money).

I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, im saying after i thought about it and consulted with my swammy, i came out this way and went machmir on what i consider might be a chillul hashem. sorry if i implied otherwise.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 07, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »
A discussion for another day.

Today!

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #725 on: May 07, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Can someone post the definition?
This boils down to the Rebbe's worldview I was alluding to earlier. Parnassah comes from Hashem, the only reason we need to work is because HASHEM told us to (וברכך ה' בכל אדר תעשה, ששת ימים תעבוד ועשית כל מלאכתך), so the work we do is not what gives is our Parnasah it's just a too (Keli) Hashem uses to give it to us through, sort of life when a tree is chopped down you don't say "look at that axe, it really did a fine job with that one" rather you realize it was the lumberjack who chopped the tree using the axe as a tool.

To say that lowering your spiritual standards will help with your Parnassah is ascribing more importance to the tool than to Hashem.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 07, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
This boils down to the Rebbe's worldview I was alluding to earlier. Parnassah comes from Hashem, the only reason we need to work is because HASHEM told us to (וברכך ה' בכל אדר תעשה, ששת ימים תעבוד ועשית כל מלאכתך), so the work we do is not what gives is our Parnasah it's just a too (Keli) Hashem uses to give it to us through, sort of life when a tree is chopped down you don't say "look at that axe, it really did a fine job with that one" rather you realize it was the lumberjack who chopped the tree using the axe as a tool.

To say that lowering your spiritual standards will help with your Parnassah is ascribing more importance to the tool than to Hashem.

Thanks. So you are using "anti keli" to describe a theory inconsistent with the rebbe's?

(Also, I like that approach)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 07, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
You can tell that most of the people on this thread are lawyers. Only a brief break in activity, between the hours of 3am and 5am.  :-\

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #728 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
Thanks. So you are using "anti keli" to describe a theory inconsistent with the rebbe's?

(Also, I like that approach)
i didn't use anti-keli, what I'm assuming Dan meant is something that can take away from your Parnassah (a Keli is a tool used to give someone Parnassah, an anti-Keli would be a wrench that gets stuck in the way).

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 07, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
u make a pretty good point re the baker case, except that there there is no animus assumed, as opposed to the no handshake, which sometimes may lead to more animus (altz mysogeny and/or basic social requirements, dietary restrictions are always more complicated).
- re the hug/kiss paralegal, again, halacha pretty much comes down to cost/benefit analysis (except for the big 3), and kissing/hugging is a real big line that we generally wont give up on. i have had that from my secretary, and i told her i just cant do that and she took it well (because i give her money).

I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, im saying after i thought about it and consulted with my swammy, i came out this way and went machmir on what i consider might be a chillul hashem. sorry if i implied otherwise.
Points granted.
But perhaps your secretary would have understood even if she wasn't your secretary and even if it was just a handshake? Just throwing it out there,  obviously I have no idea.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #730 on: May 07, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
What is anti keli
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #731 on: May 07, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »
What is anti keli
i didn't use anti-keli, what I'm assuming Dan meant is something that can take away from your Parnassah (a Keli is a tool used to give someone Parnassah, an anti-Keli would be a wrench that gets stuck in the way).

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #732 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »
What is anti keli
It was explained by achas a bit.

A keli is something we do to form a vessel for G-ds blessing. Such as doing his mitzvos getting a job etc.

So an anti keli would be not looking for work if you are unemployed, or eating treif etc.

What Dan implied was taking off ones yalmuka would probably also be an anti keli, meaning doing not what hashem wants, but in this case people are saying that taking off the yalmuka gives more parnasa, so this apparent anti keli is actually a keli for more money...

Now the question is what else falls into this category, if we eat our co-workers or boss's cupcake do we also make more money, and therefore it is allowed according to halacha...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 07, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Now the question is what else falls into this category, if we eat our co-workers or boss's cupcake do we also make more money, and therefore it is allowed according to halacha...
Are you being serious?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #734 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
Are you being serious?
He is taking the argument that you can take your Kippah off for business a bit further.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
He is taking the argument that you can take your Kippah off for business a bit further.
He sure did.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
Disagree. I'm simply raising the bar.  If you see a guy with a yarlmuke in Legal Sea Food with 2 other lawyers, 99 times out of 100 he's not eating treif.  If you see a guy in a yarlmuke sitting alone eating a big plate of ribs at an out of the way Texas BBQ, 99 times out of 100 he's eating treif.

Who cares what things you do specifically for what purposes--the main question is what the percentages are, and what normal people watching you will assume.
Is that really the question? Is that something you've come to from learning the sugya in depth? /sarcasm

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
Is that really the question? Is that something you've come to from learning the sugya in depth? /sarcasm

Fair point, I'm talking from my boich.

But my boich is having trouble understanding any other definition. And the "remove the yarlmuke" definition seems as arbitrary as a "remove the factor most having to do with the color green" definition.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:00:53 AM by henche »

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
Wow. Just wow. I have no idea WTF your problem is, but there is clearly something wrong with you. While most people here are having a mature discussion, you don't stop putting people who have differing opinions down. People that grow up in MO homes don't always wear yamulkas? Since when? Do you even realize how ridiculous of a statement that is? Get off your high horse and take your crap elsewhere. Just because someone doesn't dress the way that you do or have the same exact opinions that you do doesn't give you the right to put them down. And yes, I reread what I just wrote before posting it, and tried toning it down a bit, but there were no two ways about it.

Must've hit a raw nerve there. It's alright, I'll excuse you for your lack of comprehension due to the late hour of your post.

Nowhere did I state that ALL people who grow up in MO homes sometimes don't wear Yarmulkes. I stated that SOME people from MO homes sometimes don't wear Yarmulkes. That is a FACT. I know plenty of MO families like this, including some relatives. It's too bad that this FACT hurts your feelings. (Not sure why it does though.)

Everyone on this thread has a right to their opinion, something which you clearly don't believe in. You want to state your opinion, but you refuse to hear the opinion of others. There are those that are arguing that a man should take off his Yarmulke at work, and that there is a Heter for this, and I am arguing that for someone who grew up in a Heimishe household, that Heter might have a technical basis, but is still Prikas Ol nontheless.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Are you being serious?
No.
It was a reductio ad absurdum
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.