Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 402705 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »
So you're emailing a client 2 minutes before lecht bentchen on erev pesach.  You know the contact at client is frum.  He has no idea who you are.

Do you sign off happy passover? gut yontif? chag kasher v'sameach (you know he is not at inlaws or hotel)?

I'm going with happy passover.

ETA:  I've also been tempted to sign emails today with "Good Friday, henche."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:59:23 PM by henche »

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Law School
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2015, 04:49:24 AM »
So you're emailing a client 2 minutes before lecht bentchen on erev pesach.  You know the contact at client is frum.  He has no idea who you are.

Do you sign off happy passover? gut yontif? chag kasher v'sameach (you know he is not at inlaws or hotel)?

Fan of that one!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »

I've received unprompted "good shabbos" signatures from clients/counterparties on Friday correspondence. A Jewish geography email volley inevitably ensues.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »
I've received unprompted "good shabbos" signatures from clients/counterparties on Friday correspondence. A Jewish geography email volley inevitably ensues.

I should have added that there were 2 other people from the client and a partner from the firm on the email.

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
Going To Law School & Pros And Cons Of Being A Lawyer Master Thread
« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
Originally I was planning on only applying to law schools traveling distance from Brooklyn, intending to commute to and from law school daily. Recently, however, people have been telling me that I may be unnecessarily limiting my opportunities by doing so,as getting into a top law school is very important to job prospects and I may not be able to get into the two top law schools that are within traveling distance - Columbia and NYU.

Thoughts? Comments? What would the pros/cons be of limiting myself to NY/going away from NY. Anybody here with experience moving for law school? What do you do for Shabbos and Yom Tov?

Especially interested in people with personal experience/people who personally know of individuals who moved for law school. What are the challenges of being frum and moving for law school?

My background: Born, raised and went to yeshiva in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:55:38 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Originally I was planning on only applying to law schools traveling distance from Brooklyn, intending to commute to and from law school daily. Recently, however, people have been telling me that I may be unnecessarily limiting my opportunities by doing so,as getting into a top law school is very important to job prospects and I may not be able to get into the two top law schools that are within traveling distance - Columbia and NYU.

Thoughts? Comments? What would the pros/cons be of limiting myself to NY/going away from NY. Anybody here with experience moving for law school? What do you do for Shabbos and Yom Tov?

Especially interested in people with personal experience/people who personally know of individuals who moved for law school. What are the challenges of being frum and moving for law school?

Don't limit yourself. Get out of New York. Broaden your horizons. There are so many nice communities outside of the tri-state area. You will be a better Jew for it. If you go to Pitt, I will have you for your first shabbos.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I'd apply to other schools. Nice opportunity to experience another place.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »
are you single? if yes, go for it man

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
All depends on your options in NY vs your options out of NY.  If your option in NY is Fordham, that may be different than if it was BLS. If your option oot is Penn, that may be different than if it was GW. Apply everywhere and come back when you get your results.

If you have decent lsat scores, I'd recommending asking some schools for fee waivers. Some might send you them on their own.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dave A

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
There's no challenge to "being frum" and moving to a number of cities for law school, including LA, DC, Chicago, and Philly.  That said, don't go to law school if you can't get into a top-25 school (unless you can get full scholarship, and even then it could be a waste of time, unless you really want to be a lawyer).

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2015, 03:20:57 AM »
" could be a waste of time"

No education is ever  a waste of time

I think one of the best education is law school even if never practice--- it teaches "a way of thinking" in my family - my wife is an attorney- 8 nieces and nephews are attorney or judges  , my long time business partner was an attorney ( In an industry  with no need to be an attorney )

GO TO THE BEST LAW SCHOOL YOU CAN

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:17 AM »
I have a relative who is a yeshiva guy, and is going to Harvard. It's not impossible to keep your hashkafa and go to a good school.  Some of my friends that I am most impressed with are the ones who remained "yeshiva guys" throughout university/law/med school
And to add a little chabad hashkafa, you never know the impression/influence you may have in a less frequently area. An opportunity to raise more sparks

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »

There's no challenge to "being frum" and moving to a number of cities for law school, including LA, DC, Chicago, and Philly. 

I went to the frumest law school in America and witnessed many people fall, particularly the single guys. It takes a great deal of strength to go to an out of town school and maintain your level of frumkeit.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2015, 07:16:08 AM »

I went to the frumest law school in America and witnessed many people fall, particularly the single guys. It takes a great deal of strength to go to an out of town school and maintain your level of frumkeit.
+ 1

Seen it happen right here in NY.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »

maybe they weren't at frum as you thought

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »

First take the LSAT see what you get and then worry about where to apply.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »

Let's be realistic. That IS the main challenge. It's not "hashkafa" that leads people astray. It's basic human desires. Afterwards comes the hashkafa adjustments.

Ideally, you should get married before law school. If you don't know how to get through law school while supporting a family, ask the kollel guys. In other words, there's no excuse to say that it's financially impractical.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »

You're missing lots of info. Are you married? CAN you get into Columbia or not? If yes why go anywhere else (unless it's Harvard or something)?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Let's be realistic. That IS the main challenge. It's not "hashkafa" that leads people astray. It's basic human desires. Afterwards comes the hashkafa adjustments.

Ideally, you should get married before law school. If you don't know how to get through law school while supporting a family, ask the kollel guys. In other words, there's no excuse to say that it's financially impractical.
Not everybody can make the sacrifices kollel memebers (supposedly) make.
Besides, many receive financial support which may not be availble or offered to a law school students.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

ftfy
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.