Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 403519 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Harvard is practically a BMG affiliate these days.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
Ya, I hear their degrees are worthless.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
If you do well on the LSAT, apply to most of the T-14 schools. The extra $1,000 that you may end up spending on application fees is worth not being limited. It can also sometimes be easier to get into non-NY schools because the demand for NYU and Columbia is very high. Speaking from personal experience, I'm in law school now. And FYI, NY isn't the only city that has Jewish communities...

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »

I think henche is jealous

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
If you do well on the LSAT, apply to most of the T-14 schools. The extra $1,000 that you may end up spending on application fees is worth not being limited. It can also sometimes be easier to get into non-NY schools because the demand for NYU and Columbia is very high. Speaking from personal experience, I'm in law school now. And FYI, NY isn't the only city that has Jewish communities...
Agree 100%. But I don't think the conversation even starts until you take the lsat...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »
Agree 100%. But I don't think the conversation even starts until you take the lsat...

+1000. I expected us to agree. After all, we went to the same school  ;)

Offline heimishbrisker

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
Confirmed

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
Totally not true. You have to do exceptionally well on the LSAT and then a minority of those gets in. For every one you hear went from BMG to Harvard there are a few who tried but didn't get in.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »
Confirmed

Brisker, my not frum law school professor (same school as JJ and CS91) told me that he considers Brisk as the Harvard of all yeshivas.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
If you arent getting into columbia/NYU, and you plan on wearing a yarmulke to interviews/your job, i recommend not going to any law school without a huge scholarship; the odds are heavily against you making your investment (plus loss of 3 years work oppty) back. Unless your family is rich and you want to waste their money to make people think you are smart (or foolish).

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
Brisker, my not frum law school professor (same school as JJ and CS91) told me that he considers Brisk as the Harvard of all yeshivas.

So you know who I am but I don't know who you are?  ???

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
So you know who I am but I don't know who you are?  ???

No - I only know which school JJ went to. Feel free to introduce yourself via PM though.  :)

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
To answer the OP's questions, I would definitely consider broadening your search to other cities.  Regarding others' observations that you must go to a top law school for it to be worth it, that's BS.

Disclaimer:  I went to MD Law, which was in the 30s at the time, but I never had big law aspirations.  And I do alright.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »
No - I only know which school JJ went to. Feel free to introduce yourself via PM though.  :)

Sent you one :) Happy to know I'm not the only one on this site at the law school when I should really be studying.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
If you arent getting into columbia/NYU, and you plan on wearing a yarmulke to interviews/your job, i recommend not going to any law school without a huge scholarship; the odds are heavily against you making your investment (plus loss of 3 years work oppty) back. Unless your family is rich and you want to waste their money to make people think you are smart (or foolish).
That's ridiculous. Take off your yarmulka to succeed in the workplace? I must vociferously object lest some innocent person be discouraged by your post. If you are talented and motivated, you will succeed. Your Yiddishkeit is not an obstacle; it's an asset.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »
That's ridiculous. Take off your yarmulka to succeed in the workplace? I must vociferously object lest some innocent person be discouraged by your post. If you are talented and motivated, you will succeed. Your Yiddishkeit is not an obstacle; it's an asset.
A separate discussion but it's actually common practice among frum lawyers, especially partners, and it's not without a good basis (though I'm not saying yes or no, just pouring out it has its merits).

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2015, 11:47:06 PM »
A separate discussion but it's actually common practice among frum lawyers, especially partners, and it's not without a good basis (though I'm not saying yes or no, just pouring out it has its merits).
I repeat my vociferous objection. I cannot stand by idly when such a comments are posted.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2015, 12:10:56 AM »
Success in life is achieved by being able to attract peoples attention and trust. The only well paid lawyers are those who carry clients. Doing well is a fiction that only works in school and few narrow technical fields, where the maximum upside earning potential is extremely limited (actuaries, etc).

You can argue that all parnassa is from hashem, but then Talent/motivation are irrelevant, and it the question is only if taking off Yramulka is permitted and required for hishtadlus.

There are many locales and fields where Jews are respected and a yarmulka is an asset (Asia), there are many locales where it is an absolute liability (Saudi Arabia), and there are many place like the US where it's up for debate.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2015, 12:17:18 AM »
I'm always against justifying actions based on the number of people doing it. For all you know they could all be wrong.
What is the good basis?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2015, 12:58:14 AM »
I'm always against justifying actions based on the number of people doing it. For all you know they could all be wrong.
What is the good basis?
It's indoors, they feel it's necessary for parnassah (definitely can't make a brachah/eat or drink though). IIRC there's a tshuva from Rav Moshe about it.