Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 402497 times)

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1620 on: September 24, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »
what are the options for s/o looking for an aba accredited law school online

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: September 24, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
Are there much better, amazing results from "Fish" ($2300 + 4 days/week classes + HW)
vs. 7 Sage online course ($180)

Not about the money, but more about the work and 4 days/week commitment -- Anyone seen major proven 10-12 point increase results? Any advice?
10-12 point increase from first diagnostic that was done pre-studying, or after studying already?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1622 on: September 24, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
10-12 point increase from first diagnostic that was done pre-studying, or after studying already?

After independent studying and taking LSATS without a course.

(i.e. mid-160s on first LSAT) would you recommend taking 2 months off of work to take Fish's 8 week $2300 course in Washington Heights? (4 days/week communte from Brooklyn)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1623 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »

(i.e. mid-160s on first LSAT) would you recommend taking 2 months off of work to take Fish's 8 week $2300 course in Washington Heights? (4 days/week communte from Brooklyn)
One of the biggest advantages of his course is how much he pushes you. i.e. Would you really be studying 8+ hours a day without him?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 24, 2016, 11:23:10 PM »

I don't think a 10-12 point increase but I do think that there would be one. Also really depends on what the strong/weak sections were. If the weaknesses are in Logical Reasoning or Logic Games, then definitely worth it IMO because there are systems/methods to be learned. If the person is already really strong with those sections and the weakness is in reading comprehension, then a course won't do as much.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: September 24, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
One of the biggest advantages of his course is how much he pushes you. i.e. Would you really be studying 8+ hours a day without him?

Yes, in this case, a lot of motivation -- however 7sage.com has 4-6 hrs a day of work, as well.

Any specific results of LSAT increases from Fish over the other high-ranked programs?

(Main concern is the 4-Day Manhattan commute from Brooklyn)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 24, 2016, 11:42:47 PM »
Yes, in this case, a lot of motivation -- however 7sage.com has 4-6 hrs a day of work, as well.

Any specific results of LSAT increases from Fish over the other high-ranked programs?

People say Fish is king but I know many people who experienced 15-20 point increases from diagnostic (myself included) with some of the other popular programs. I don't know anything about sage though.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1627 on: September 24, 2016, 11:44:09 PM »
I don't think a 10-12 point increase but I do think that there would be one. Also really depends on what the strong/weak sections were. If the weaknesses are in Logical Reasoning or Logic Games, then definitely worth it IMO because there are systems/methods to be learned. If the person is already really strong with those sections and the weakness is in reading comprehension, then a course won't do as much.
Agreed.

I have no doubt Fisch's results are better than any program as a general rule, but every student is different. I once heard 1/3 of his students score in he 170's no other program can even touch that number.

People say Fish is king but I know many people who experienced 15-20 point increases from diagnostic (myself included) with some of the other popular programs. I don't know anything about sage though.
I went up 25+ points from diagnostic lol.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: September 24, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »
I have no doubt Fisch's results are better than any program as a general rule, but every student is different. I once heard 1/3 of his students score in he 170's no other program can even touch that number.
Ya but he has a smaller sample size and could be that his students are usually of the smarter variety. Most of the people that are going to him (at least the people that I know) are really smart and are targeting the top schools in the country.

I went up 25+ points from diagnostic lol.
Maybe you had a really bad diagnostic  :P

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: September 25, 2016, 12:12:41 AM »
Ya but he has a smaller sample size and could be that his students are usually of the smarter variety. Most of the people that are going to him (at least the people that I know) are really smart and are targeting the top schools in the country.
No doubt, but those numbers are still amazing, assuming this guy wants the same and will work hard, he may be able to do the same.

@CS1 4-6 hour for the December test may not be enough at this point ftr.

Maybe you had a really bad diagnostic  :P
I think I maybe finished 1 game... So ya...

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 25, 2016, 01:02:37 AM »
@CS1 4-6 hour for the December test may not be enough at this point ...

True, but after a mid 160s LSAT score, the 4-6 hrs per day may be fine for a 170+ on the next test.

To commute to Fisch and study well, he'd probably have to stop working in Oct & Nov.

The 1/3 gets in the 170's is a great motivator. If there's a 75% + change in that, then this is worth doing full time. (Married and paying Brooklyn rent)
The goal here is to try to get into Northwestern; ideally with a scholarship.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
what are the options for s/o looking for an aba accredited law school online

I don't know if that exists, but I'm sure very few of is graduates would get jobs, if it does exist

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: September 25, 2016, 01:33:42 AM »

I don't know if that exists, but I'm sure very few of is graduates would get jobs, if it does exist
Would work for someone who has a job waiting for him in the family law firm.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: September 25, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
Would work for someone who has a job waiting for him in the family law firm.
yes

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: September 25, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
True, but after a mid 160s LSAT score, the 4-6 hrs per day may be fine for a 170+ on the next test.

To commute to Fisch and study well, he'd probably have to stop working in Oct & Nov.

The 1/3 gets in the 170's is a great motivator. If there's a 75% + change in that, then this is worth doing full time. (Married and paying Brooklyn rent)
The goal here is to try to get into Northwestern; ideally with a scholarship.

Maybe it is enough. Maybe not. The best practice is taking dozens of simulated tests and hundreds of simulated sections with timers. And some with no timers just trying to get every question correct.

The thing is improving to the 170's is the hardest part and while someome can get in the 160's with not studying intensely it has no indication they can do the same to get in the 170's. But I'm not saying he can't.

What is he working as now? If it's not an important job I don't see how it can be worth it to work now regardless if he knows he wants law school he should be putting his blood sweat and tears and whatever the cost to get the best score possible. Why go for a 170? Go for a 180. Striving high is a great motivator, and can help a lot.

And remember even with all the practice tests there is nothing like test day. Nerves are something that is hard to practice for. I say next to someone that was getting a 178-180 on all his recent simulated practice tests. He cancelled his score on test day because he set read his watch wrong for how much time he had left and bombed an entire section...

Also how much have you looked into Northwestern scholars who gets them? what GPA/lsat/work experience they have to have?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:57:02 AM by jj1000 »

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: September 25, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »

i saw an article from a few years back that william mitchell was available online. wondering what their job placement is like and if there are any other ones that opened online since.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1636 on: September 25, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
The LSAT is the single most important test a lawyer will ever take in his career.

Spend the extra money and go with fish.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 25, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »
i saw an article from a few years back that william mitchell was available online. wondering what their job placement is like and if there are any other ones that opened online since.
of you don't have a family job lined up, and are not planning to hang a single, it's a very bad bet

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: September 25, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
of you don't have a family job lined up, and are not planning to hang a single, it's a very bad bet
In NY you can waive in with one year of law school and 5 years of work experience. The rules are very specific. If the family firm is the option its a way around full law school.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
whats that