Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398247 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Law School
« Reply #1680 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Possible for someone with a Yeshiva undergrad to get into NYU? I heard they don't take anyone regardless of stats. True?
Why NYU specifically? Columbia is possible. I know some people that go into NYU, but that was a while ago.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 05, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
Why NYU specifically? Columbia is possible. I know some people that go into NYU, but that was a while ago.
I think, notwithstanding my Yeshiva degree, that's the best school/scholarship I can get with my numbers (3.93/173). Will apply to Columbia as well but doubt I'll get much $$$$.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1682 on: January 05, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
I think, notwithstanding my Yeshiva degree, that's the best school/scholarship I can get with my numbers (3.93/173). Will apply to Columbia as well but doubt I'll get much $$$$.
Awesome score and gpa! Congrats on that! How did you prep?

I'd highly recommend Penn and take this into consideration http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2016-law-school-rankings/#rankings

I assume you'll apply to all the top schools? Those scores should open up the possibility of just about any school besides Yale, Stanford, and some others that like real degrees possibly nyu included I do remember hearing something like that. It is just a tad low for full scholarship but with some good letters it's definitely possible.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 05, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Possible for someone with a Yeshiva undergrad to get into NYU? I heard they don't take anyone regardless of stats. True?

I know people who got in.  However, the people I know who got also got into Harvard. So maybe the real answer is that they take BTLs but only the ones with a good enough package to get into Harvard.

Definitely worth applying.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
Awesome score and gpa! Congrats on that! How did you prep?

I'd highly recommend Penn and take this into consideration http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2016-law-school-rankings/#rankings

I assume you'll apply to all the top schools? Those scores should open up the possibility of just about any school besides Yale, Stanford, and some others that like real degrees possibly nyu included I do remember hearing something like that. It is just a tad low for full scholarship but with some good letters it's definitely possible.

Thanks! I also have a MS in accounting/CPA plus a year + of big 4 experience so not quite a guy straight out of BMG but I heard the Yeshiva credits was a deal breaker unfortunately.

I'm definitely applying to all the relevant T-14   and would love Penn if they gave me a good offer but, as my wife has a job here in NY, I would love a great scholarship to NYU.

My prep was limited time wise due to my job but it mainly consisted of just doing a million LG sections individually( my weakest section), a bunch of individual LR, and almost no RC. Didn't really take any fully timed tests. I used 7Sage videos in the beginning and LSAThacks for the LR explanations.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks! I also have a MS in accounting/CPA plus a year + of big 4 experience so not quite a guy straight out of BMG but I heard the Yeshiva credits was a deal breaker unfortunately.

I'm definitely applying to all the relevant T-14   and would love Penn if they gave me a good offer but, as my wife has a job here in NY, I would love a great scholarship to NYU.

My prep was limited time wise due to my job but it mainly consisted of just doing a million LG sections individually( my weakest section), a bunch of individual LR, and almost no RC. Didn't really take any fully timed tests. I used 7Sage videos in the beginning and LSAThacks for the LR explanations.

Well done.

you should apply even to the non-relevant T14s, since they can be valuable in negotiating scholarship.  For example, NYU will likely be more willing to give you cash if you tell them you are going to Stanford, even if you've decided you wouldn't live in CA for 3 years (FYI, there's a yeshivish kollel in Palo Alto)

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 05, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Well done.

you should apply even to the non-relevant T14s, since they can be valuable in negotiating scholarship.  For example, NYU will likely be more willing to give you cash if you tell them you are going to Stanford, even if you've decided you wouldn't live in CA for 3 years (FYI, there's a yeshivish kollel in Palo Alto)
Thanks!

Do you know if schools will increase a scholarship offer with just an offer of acceptance from a superior school even if that doesn't come with any money i.e. Stanford/Harvard?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
Thanks!

Do you know if schools will increase a scholarship offer with just an offer of acceptance from a superior school even if that doesn't come with any money i.e. Stanford/Harvard?
For sure.

Someone told me they got into Harvard and when Penn found out they offered them a full ride, they took it.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 05, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »

Sounds like a good resume! And very impressive with the score and not taking a full test before. I'm angry you didn't prep more, a 180 sure could do you some good. Although no guarantee of a scholarship or acceptance even with a 180...

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 05, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
For sure.

Someone told me they got into Harvard and when Penn found out they offered them a full ride, they took it.
Sounds like a good resume! And very impressive with the score and not taking a full test before. I'm angry you didn't prep more, a 180 sure could do you some good. Although no guarantee of a scholarship or acceptance even with a 180...
Good to know! Thanks!

In that scoring range it's a total crapshoot. I'm lucky the sabbath observer test didn't have one of those crazy new games otherwise I would have been screwed lol. 

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1690 on: January 05, 2017, 11:35:35 AM »
what is the 3.93 from, a btl yeshiva? i did early decision with CLS many moons ago with similar numbers and got $0 scholarship. NYU might be a bit nicer, esp with an MS and accounting experience. penn is also a smart option.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1691 on: January 05, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »

really --  A "180" isn't enough? What else are they looking for? Letter of recommendation? Undergrad?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 05, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
Undergrad?
Yes what school someone came from is a big one, and how they sound on their application, as well as resume of what they've done with their life... Essay on the LSAT  ;)

For the vast majority of law schools all that matter is lsat/gpa.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 05, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
really --  A "180" isn't enough? What else are they looking for? Letter of recommendation? Undergrad?

For yeshiva guys, a 175+/4.0 really is not enough, because the 4.0 means nothing and all they have to go on is a 180.  So the rest of the package (personal statement, resume, letters) actually matters.  I've seen some very high BTL LSATs significantly under-perform in admissions. 

I encourage people to hire a consultant, although I have no idea if that actually helps.  Maybe I should become a BTL law school admissions consultant. 

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 05, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
For yeshiva guys, a 175+/4.0 really is not enough, because the 4.0 means nothing and all they have to go on is a 180.  So the rest of the package (personal statement, resume, letters) actually matters.  I've seen some very high BTL LSATs significantly under-perform in admissions. 

I encourage people to hire a consultant, although I have no idea if that actually helps.  Maybe I should become a BTL law school admissions consultant. 

Count for probono hours?

I think that's pretty much what this thread is.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: January 05, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »

Do you think my CPA/masters/work experience will alleviate some of that or is the BTL a killer?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 05, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
Do you think my CPA/masters/work experience will alleviate some of that or is the BTL a killer?
It all depends on the story you craft in your PS.

i.e. what brought you from rabinical school, to accounting, to law. And don't say you wanted more money to feed the fam :P

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 05, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »

Will definitely help.

But see:
It all depends on the story you craft in your PS.

Feel free to post your PS here for us to make fun of, btw.  People do it on top law schools, I think.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
Feel free to post your PS here for us to make fun of, btw.  People do it on top law schools, I think.
My PS worked well for me.

Harvard emailed me and wanted me I said no fwiw :P

Oh also I did early admissions somewhere else ;)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »
My PS worked well for me.

Harvard emailed me and wanted me I said no fwiw :P

Oh also I did early admissions somewhere else ;)

Good deal.

I meant eph should