Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398436 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Law School
« Reply #1700 on: January 05, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »

Good deal.

I meant eph should
How embarrassing.

Agreed, if he's comfortable.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 05, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

Good deal.

I meant eph should
lol I'll have to pass but thanks for the offer:)

I definitely tried to construct a narrative explaining my path to law school as I know that's probably their first question when they see my info.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1702 on: January 05, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
lol I'll have to pass but thanks for the offer:)

I definitely tried to construct a narrative explaining my path to law school as I know that's probably their first question when they see my info.
You just turned down what clients pay hundreds of dollars an hour for...

But I understand not wanting to post personal information online.

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1703 on: January 05, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
You just turned down what clients pay hundreds of dollars an hour for...

But I understand not wanting to post personal information online.

just leave some parts blank. We can all benefit. (The recommendation letters are great to read, too.)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline TheSlightEdge

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 06, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Do you think my CPA/masters/work experience will alleviate some of that or is the BTL a killer?

If you didn't start working on your application materials then don't bother applying this cycle. It's already pretty late in the application process and a lot of schools have already given out scholarship $, especially the good ones. With your great score, you'll be in a much better position if you apply early next cycle, lots of schools will give you great, some even full offers. One great option would be to do ED Northwestern. You automatically get $150,000 scholarship if accepted and I think you'd get it. Also great location for frum guy.
I see a lot of yeshiva guys do this: they get a really good score on the LSAT but rush the app process and have no idea what they're doing. Hire a consultant, work hard on your apps, and apply early in Sep for 2018. I know it's tough to hear this but that's the more prudent choice. You'll be saving a lot of $ in the processs. I mean, you could apply this cycle, see if any schools make you a great offer but I'd just wait.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 06, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
If you didn't start working on your application materials then don't bother applying this cycle. It's already pretty late in the application process and a lot of schools have already given out scholarship $, especially the good ones. With your great score, you'll be in a much better position if you apply early next cycle, lots of schools will give you great, some even full offers. One great option would be to do ED Northwestern. You automatically get $150,000 scholarship if accepted and I think you'd get it. Also great location for frum guy.
I see a lot of yeshiva guys do this: they get a really good score on the LSAT but rush the app process and have no idea what they're doing. Hire a consultant, work hard on your apps, and apply early in Sep for 2018. I know it's tough to hear this but that's the more prudent choice. You'll be saving a lot of $ in the processs. I mean, you could apply this cycle, see if any schools make you a great offer but I'd just wait.
I agree with it being a good idea to wait, but I don't agree on ED for Northwestern. His score should get him into better schools. Maybe not on a full ride, but personally I'm of the opinion that generally, one should go to the best school possible even if it means taking out loans. Chances of getting a big law job out of NYU/Columbia are better than Northwestern, and with a big law job, he'll have no problem paying back his loans.

Offline TheSlightEdge

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
I agree with it being a good idea to wait, but I don't agree on ED for Northwestern. His score should get him into better schools. Maybe not on a full ride, but personally I'm of the opinion that generally, one should go to the best school possible even if it means taking out loans. Chances of getting a big law job out of NYU/Columbia are better than Northwestern, and with a big law job, he'll have no problem paying back his loans.

Good point, agree but if someone is really debt averse then Northwestern ED is a terrific option. The school has great employment numbers, and personally I'd go with Northwestern 150,000 over NYU sticker. Columbia is a different story, it's in a different league. But that guy should wait, especially if he didn't start working on apps. Rushing everything would really hurt him.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1707 on: January 06, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
good points about waiting, i always thought the second most important stat on your app was the date. maybe use the time to take the LSAT again after some test practice and get a 180...

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 06, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
Ironically, I did apply ED to northwestern with my previous score but, thankfully, was held.

I've followed this cycle pretty closely and don't think I'm too late but I guess I'll find out. If I underperform my numbers, I will absolutely sit out this cycle and reapply next year.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 06, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »
Also, the Sept LSAT was supposedly very hard and the top scores are way down. The data for December isn't out yet but the consensus is that was difficult as well. So schools will, hopefully, be competing harder for the higher scores.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: January 06, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
Ironically, I did apply ED to northwestern with my previous score but, thankfully, was held.

I've followed this cycle pretty closely and don't think I'm too late but I guess I'll find out. If I underperform my numbers, I will absolutely sit out this cycle and reapply next year.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do apply this year and then decide to sit out, the schools that you did get admitted to may decide not to accept you when you apply again next year. Some schools don't like when people don't accept an offer and then later re-apply.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 08, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you intend to become a tax attorney (figured it may be relevant as you are in accounting), and you intend to pursue an LLM at NYU (the best option locally), NYU allows 12 of the 24 required credits to have been taken as a law student. But only if you went to NYU. This may save a boatload of time and money in the future.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you intend to become a tax attorney (figured it may be relevant as you are in accounting), and you intend to pursue an LLM at NYU (the best option locally), NYU allows 12 of the 24 required credits to have been taken as a law student. But only if you went to NYU. This may save a boatload of time and money in the future.
Yah,  but if you go to nyu, then you don't need an llm to be a tax lawyer

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Yah,  but if you go to nyu, then you don't need an llm to be a tax lawyer
FTFY Plenty of opportunities for tax lawyers with JDs from good schools and no LLM.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
FTFY Plenty of opportunities for tax lawyers with JDs from good schools and no LLM.

Sure. But many firms (like mine) want their tax attorneys to get an LLM, on a part time basis. Had I gone to NYU, I'd have saved myself 12 of 24 credits. I'm nearly done now, four years in.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »

that's what I said.

The NYU LLM is for folks who went to Brooklyn.

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
Just curious, why isn't UCLA ever discussed as a good option for Yeshiva guys. LA is a good jewish community to be around and they also don't have that same BTL disdain as the the NY area schools, cmiiw.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
Just curious, why isn't UCLA ever discussed as a good option for Yeshiva guys. LA is a good jewish community to be around and they also don't have that same BTL disdain as the the NY area schools, cmiiw.
Employment rate isn't as high as the other schools being talked about.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1718 on: January 10, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »

for the same $200K/yr earned in other cities where you can buy a single family house, in LA you can rent an apt or a duplex.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 10, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »
for the same $200K/yr earned in other cities where you can buy a single family house, in LA you can rent an apt or a duplex.
I was only referring to schooling, not living there long term. Also, I would imagine salaries in LA reflect the higher cost of living.