Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396661 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1960 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
YES many times only because they are lucky to have superhero wives who run a house and sometimes work too at a decreased pay level... we are all just counting the days til we retire.

That's a very sad thought.

I am not counting days until I retire, and I do not count hours until I stop working for the day (I'd be too tired to count anyway).  I like my life.

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: October 25, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
That's a very sad thought.

I am not counting days until I retire, and I do not count hours until I stop working for the day (I'd be too tired to count anyway).  I like my life.
+100
While I'm sure all of us have frustration in our occupations, if you don't love what you do it's time to find a new occupation...

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:28 PM »
My law firm has two sheitels. Both work four days a week.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: October 26, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »
+100
While I'm sure all of us have frustration in our occupations, if you don't love what you do it's time to find a new occupation...
Love is a strong word...

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: October 26, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
Not quite sure what the difference between a frum man and a frum woman is. Both are frum, both keep Shabbos/YT. Why is it "normal" if a frum guy works in big law but not normal/doable for a frum woman? It's almost like Jews are stuck in the 1800s while the rest of the world has moved on.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1965 on: October 26, 2017, 12:24:46 AM »
Not quite sure what the difference between a frum man and a frum woman is. Both are frum, both keep Shabbos/YT. Why is it "normal" if a frum guy works in big law but not normal/doable for a frum woman? It's almost like Jews are stuck in the 1800s while the rest of the world has moved on.

More like stuck in the 1800s BCE, but ya, it is what it is.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: October 26, 2017, 01:17:47 AM »

Actually, it's the same for non frum ppl.  The starting classes are half men and half women,  and then the women disproportionately  leave as they want to have a family and be there for their family. 

The women making partner often or maybe even usually don't have kids.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: October 26, 2017, 07:29:35 AM »
Oh, it's because frum women help their husbands fullfil the obligation to bear children.

After that female mothers are the needed to nurture the young children.

Is this news to you?

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: October 26, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Oh, it's because frum women help their husbands fullfil the obligation to bear children.

After that female mothers are the needed to nurture the young children.

Is this news to you?
So you're telling me that non-Jewish women either don't have kids, or they have kids but they don't nurture their children? Wow, that's really interesting.

Or, maybe, it's because many if not most "frumer" girls schools put these ideas in their students' heads that Jewish women should only get a degree in making chulent and kugel and if a girl would actually say that she wants to be a lawyer or a doctor when she grows up, she'd get looked at like she's from outer space. There's a reason why once you shift over to more modern schools, you have plenty of girls going to college / grad schools.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:19 AM »
LOL.
Still very few MO girls in big law
Do you deny that a mother in big law will have less time to nurture her children?
And do you think that not Jews on average have more or less children than Jews?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: October 26, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »
Actually, it's the same for non frum ppl.  The starting classes are half men and half women,  and then the women disproportionately  leave as they want to have a family and be there for their family. 

The women making partner often or maybe even usually don't have kids.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »

So you're telling me that non-Jewish women either don't have kids, or they have kids but they don't nurture their children? Wow, that's really interesting.

Or, maybe, it's because many if not most "frumer" girls schools put these ideas in their students' heads that Jewish women should only get a degree in making chulent and kugel and if a girl would actually say that she wants to be a lawyer or a doctor when she grows up, she'd get looked at like she's from outer space. There's a reason why once you shift over to more modern schools, you have plenty of girls going to college / grad schools.

Correct. Non Jewish professional women almost never have kids before 30 (or 35+ if they are very career oriented). And even then they only have a couple max..

Jewish girls are educated to observe the Torah which commands a man to have at least two kids ASAP.
This has nothing to do with chulent. It's just reality. An apple is just an apple.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 26, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
LOL.
Still very few MO girls in big law
Do you deny that a mother in big law will have less time to nurture her children?
And do you think that not Jews on average have more or less children than Jews?
Starting to be more and more frum women in big law. And there are also a lot of frum women who are doctors (also a really demanding job).

I don't deny that a woman in big law will have less time with her kids, but that has nothing to do with being Jewish. I was responding to a statement that implied that non-Jewish women are basically terrible mothers who don't care about their kids.

I don't disagree with you. I disagree with the opinion that big law is realistic for a non Jewish woman but not realistic for a Jewish woman.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

Correct. Non Jewish professional women almost never have kids before 30 (or 35+ if they are very career oriented). And even then they only have a couple max..

Jewish girls are educated to observe the Torah which commands a man to have at least two kids ASAP.
This has nothing to do with chulent. It's just reality. An apple is just an apple.
-1 on the first statement. Plenty of non Jewish professional women who have kids before 30. I know people like this that I work with, that I went to school with, etc. You don't strike me as a guy who has any non-Jewish friends. So your statement is based on a sample size of what? 2 people? Maybe 3 if you're one of the more open minded people in Lakewood. 

As to the second statement - *facepalm*. You do realize that there are plenty of respectable Ravs who give heterim to not have kids right away, right? Reasons include financial, career, etc. Not everyone holds that you'll burn in hell if you don't try to set a record for the amount of kids you can possibly have between the age of 19 of 35.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »

-1 on the first statement. Plenty of non Jewish professional women who have kids before 30. I know people like this that I work with, that I went to school with, etc. You don't strike me as a guy who has any non-Jewish friends. So your statement is based on a sample size of what? 2 people? Maybe 3 if you're one of the more open minded people in Lakewood. 

As to the second statement - *facepalm*. You do realize that there are plenty of respectable Ravs who give heterim to not have kids right away, right? Reasons include financial, career, etc. Not everyone holds that you'll burn in hell if you don't try to set a record for the amount of kids you can possibly have between the age of 19 of 35.

A) correct that I have no non Jewish friends, but have worked with hundreds of non Jewish coworkers. Don't recall any that had kids before 30 but it's definitely possible. (- besides for one very very religious Muslim, who's husband from Islamabad insisted on it... Long story).

(I did have male co-workers though that had wives around 30 w kids... Those women didn't have much of a carreer.)

B) I did hear Rav shechters take on this recently on the headlines podcast... Don't  wanna get into this here... But it's not at all simple to snap your fingers and get blanket heter...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: October 26, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
Starting to be more and more frum women in big law. And there are also a lot of frum women who are doctors (also a really demanding job).

I don't deny that a woman in big law will have less time with her kids, but that has nothing to do with being Jewish. I was responding to a statement that implied that non-Jewish women are basically terrible mothers who don't care about their kids.

I don't disagree with you. I disagree with the opinion that big law is realistic for a non Jewish woman but not realistic for a Jewish woman.

Being a doctor is not remotely a demanding job, except a few specialties like ob

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »
Being a doctor is not remotely a demanding job, except a few specialties like ob
I know one neurologist in a big hospital in NYC. Extremely demanding schedule...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »

What I'm saying is that it's not realistic for mist women who want to have a family. And that shows among both frum and non frum ppl

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 26, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
I know one neurologist in a big hospital in NYC. Extremely demanding schedule...

Yes,  a few specialties.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: October 31, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
hahahahahaha!!!!!