Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398345 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2080 on: October 08, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »

I can get an MBA from any subpar online program. That a degree. If I want a career outside the field of law, A Law degree + experience means something. Thats pedigree.

If the end goal is a non legal career, I'm not aware that law school is an efficient way to get there. Despite ppl insisting that a law degree is "versatile."

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2081 on: October 08, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
If the end goal is a non legal career, I'm not aware that law school is an efficient way to get there. Despite ppl insisting that a law degree is "versatile."
Agreed.

Thank you for responding. Understand the argument of paying for T14. Aside from the fact thought I strongly prefer to stay in NY/NJ, isn't it a little late in the game to start studying for the LSAT to be eligible for early enrollment?
You want to take the December test and apply for 2019? You better start studying asap. Like I said nothing matters until you know your scores. Might be worth studying for the June test and apply for 2020 tbh.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: October 08, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »

Even if it is "A free ride"?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2083 on: October 08, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
It costs you 3 years. If you want business, working for 3 years in a company will very possibly be worth more.

Not to mention if you will have living expenses and no income. Plus add on lost income because you could be working those 3 years.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: October 08, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
It costs you 3 years. If you want business, working for 3 years in a company will very possibly be worth more.

Not to mention if you will have living expenses and no income. Plus add on lost income because you could be working those 3 years.

True however if I want a career with an upside I am comfortable with, entry level positions for first couple of years are minimal at best in terms of salary.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: October 08, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »

I'm also not aware that its a very good way to get a non legal job

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
I'm also not aware that its a very good way to get a non legal job
Agreed regarding crappy mba. Useless.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: October 09, 2018, 07:25:47 PM »
A free ride is only worth it if it would put you in great position to  land the desired job after graduation. I’m not aware of any such opportunities that are open merely because you have a JD.

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: October 09, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
A free ride is only worth it if it would put you in great position to  land the desired job after graduation. I’m not aware of any such opportunities that are open merely because you have a JD.

Agree.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
a free ride is also worth it if the the other option is not a much better school or you don't think you will graduate at the top of the class

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
a free ride is also worth it if the the other option is not a much better school or you don't think you will graduate at the top of the class
Obviously if we aren't talking about T14 schools, it's a different conversation. Hence take the LSAT, if you are scoring up to a 165, let's talk about a free ride to a school, if you are scoring 168+ let's talk about T14 options.

I'm not sure what you mean about the top of your class. If you go to a T14 you don't have to be at the top of your class, that's why whole point.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: October 10, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
Agreed regarding crappy mba. Useless.
+1

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
Just finished reading thru the entirety of this thread (thru 3 name changes) over the last 36 or so hours.

I was wondering what our esteemed panel of lawyers think about my predicament.

I am still learning (married with a child) and considering the next step I should take in terms of a parnassa. My first priority is obtaining some sort of pedigree. My initial inclination was taking the PCS course and obtaining a CPA and working in a big 4 firm for a few years. However after some research and introspection the CPA/CFO route is work I find boring and the pedigree isn't that great.

I had a couple people who know me well who suggested I pursue a law degree as it plays to my strengths, material I find much more interesting, and is a far superior pedigree. I had originally resisted the idea of law school due to my reluctance of saddling myself with copious amounts of debt. However I recently became aware that scoring well on the LSATs  can realistically provide me with a full scholarship to a school outside the T14.

Should I throw myself into studying for the LSATs (I did a diagnostic and quite well though my timing was almost double so not sure how reliable an indicator that is) with the intention of trying only to receive a full scholarship at a lesser school (Cordozo, Rutgers, Seton Hall)?

I understand that it will be much more difficult to get into Biglaw, however if my end game is to have it as pedigree or in house counsel, is there an alternative? Granted I would be giving it my all in terms of grades, but from an initial decision standpoint is there any room for error?

Thank you very much
You are not accurately comparing the pros and cons of law vs CPA.

Law is just as boring early on, and CFO jobs can be very not boring depending on the circumstances

But a law career is a huge commitment to school and study, while a CPA via PC's is a few months of mild focus..

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: October 10, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
You are not accurately comparing the pros and cons of law vs CPA.

Law is just as boring early on, and CFO jobs can be very not boring depending on the circumstances

But a law career is a huge commitment to school and study, while a CPA via PC's is a few months of mild focus..

Do both. 

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: October 10, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Do both.
Definitely cannot take a CPA course while you’re a 1L (at least if you are trying to do well)

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: October 10, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
Coming from a yeshiva degree- do law schools care about where or how many places you went to?
I was in a bunch of different yeshivos at a bunch of different times without having received my Talmudic degree(getting it now). Anyone looking at my resumet would think it’s ridiculous that I switched so many times(including in and out of one plac twice as well as being in one place for one semester etc.).

Is that something I should worry about when trying for the top tier law schools?

Will I be able to make up for that with a good gpa and lsat score?

TIA
So it turns out that when I left after an elul zman the yeshiva I was in put "withdrew" on my transcript. Obviously that doesn't help my standing.
How badly does that hurt?
TIA

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: October 10, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
So it turns out that when I left after an elul zman the yeshiva I was in put "withdrew" on my transcript. Obviously that doesn't help my standing.
How badly does that hurt?
TIA
I would normally say not much. However, I believe you had mentioned previously that your BTL situation was already interesting, and having another anomaly on your resume is not what you need. But if there is nothing you can do about it, then don't worry and just get a good score on your LSAT and will you likely get in anyway.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 19, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
Just received this from Fisch:

Hi,

You are receiving this email because you inquired about my LSAT course.

I know some of you emailed a while ago (or numerous times) and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. If you've already taken the LSAT or found another teacher, I truly wish you the best of luck!

If you are still interested in my courses please read on.

Usually, my yearly teaching schedule looks like this:

1) From Feb through June I teach a M/W class in Brooklyn (Midwood) and a T/Th class in YU (Washington Heights).

2) From July through October I teach a M/W class in Brooklyn and a T/Th class in YU.

3) From November through December I usually teach a single class in YU that meets 3 times a week, M/T/Th. This class meets just as many times as the other classes of the year, but it does so over a shorter time-frame and meets more times a week.

(I don't personally do any private tutoring at all, but my sister-in-law tutors students from my classes and she's excellent. She only tutors students from the classes though.)

This year things have changed.

The LSAC (Law School Admissions Council) has made a number of changes and one of them is to no longer offer a Dec LSAT but instead to offer an LSAT at the end of January.

So my last class(es) of the year will meet from approximately November 4th until Janurary 20th.

What I'm undecided on is whether I will teach one class at YU, or teach one class in Brooklyn, or teach 2 separate classes, one in YU and one in Brooklyn.

So here's where I'm asking you what you're interested in. Based on your responses and the demand, I'll decide in the next day or two exactly what I'm offering and will reply back to everyone who answers the below.

If you don't answer, I'll assume you are no longer interested and not email you again.

Please reply back to me ASAP (the hypocrisy! I know!) with one of the following responses:

A) I want to take your course in YU from Nov-Jan
B) I want to take your course in Brooklyn from Nov-Jan
C) I want one of the above but would be okay with the other one too
D) I want to take your class in Feb through June instead

(Depending which one or ones I teach, I will decide if it meets 2 times a week or 3 times a week.)

I'm also considering teaching an AM class in Brooklyn and then a PM class at YU. So if you do choose Brooklyn, please specify if you can do PM only, or if you'd be up for a noon-time class as well.

Before you reply, please read the specific info about the course below:

The course costs 2300 dollars. (Everything you need including books is included.)

The course meets for about 2 hours and 45 minutes each night and also meets on some Sundays for proctored exams. The total number of meetings is usually 29 or 30 times including the tests.

Most students need 6 or more months to get their LSAT score to its peak, which is why even if you're planning on taking the June or July LSAT next year, now would be a good time to start studying. If you're shooting for the January test, your score will definitely improve a bunch by then and you may be ready, but you may also choose to wait and let your score improve more. There is also an LSAT given in March.

One last word about my courses:

As bad as I am at replying to emails, I'm that good at teaching the LSAT. I have had thousands of students, and a very large percentage of them have had amazing success. I hope to be able to help a lot of you reach your LSAT goals in the near future.

Thank you,

-Fischel Bensinger

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
Just received this from Fisch:

Hi,

You are receiving this email because you inquired about my LSAT course.

I know some of you emailed a while ago (or numerous times) and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. If you've already taken the LSAT or found another teacher, I truly wish you the best of luck!

If you are still interested in my courses please read on.

Usually, my yearly teaching schedule looks like this:

1) From Feb through June I teach a M/W class in Brooklyn (Midwood) and a T/Th class in YU (Washington Heights).

2) From July through October I teach a M/W class in Brooklyn and a T/Th class in YU.

3) From November through December I usually teach a single class in YU that meets 3 times a week, M/T/Th. This class meets just as many times as the other classes of the year, but it does so over a shorter time-frame and meets more times a week.

(I don't personally do any private tutoring at all, but my sister-in-law tutors students from my classes and she's excellent. She only tutors students from the classes though.)

This year things have changed.

The LSAC (Law School Admissions Council) has made a number of changes and one of them is to no longer offer a Dec LSAT but instead to offer an LSAT at the end of January.

So my last class(es) of the year will meet from approximately November 4th until Janurary 20th.

What I'm undecided on is whether I will teach one class at YU, or teach one class in Brooklyn, or teach 2 separate classes, one in YU and one in Brooklyn.

So here's where I'm asking you what you're interested in. Based on your responses and the demand, I'll decide in the next day or two exactly what I'm offering and will reply back to everyone who answers the below.

If you don't answer, I'll assume you are no longer interested and not email you again.

Please reply back to me ASAP (the hypocrisy! I know!) with one of the following responses:

A) I want to take your course in YU from Nov-Jan
B) I want to take your course in Brooklyn from Nov-Jan
C) I want one of the above but would be okay with the other one too
D) I want to take your class in Feb through June instead

(Depending which one or ones I teach, I will decide if it meets 2 times a week or 3 times a week.)

I'm also considering teaching an AM class in Brooklyn and then a PM class at YU. So if you do choose Brooklyn, please specify if you can do PM only, or if you'd be up for a noon-time class as well.

Before you reply, please read the specific info about the course below:

The course costs 2300 dollars. (Everything you need including books is included.)

The course meets for about 2 hours and 45 minutes each night and also meets on some Sundays for proctored exams. The total number of meetings is usually 29 or 30 times including the tests.

Most students need 6 or more months to get their LSAT score to its peak, which is why even if you're planning on taking the June or July LSAT next year, now would be a good time to start studying. If you're shooting for the January test, your score will definitely improve a bunch by then and you may be ready, but you may also choose to wait and let your score improve more. There is also an LSAT given in March.

One last word about my courses:

As bad as I am at replying to emails, I'm that good at teaching the LSAT. I have had thousands of students, and a very large percentage of them have had amazing success. I hope to be able to help a lot of you reach your LSAT goals in the near future.

Thank you,

-Fischel Bensinger
I love Fisch for what it's worth. Highly recommended if you are serious about putting in the time. And time doesn't mean 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week for classes. It means the other 8 hours a day in between classes. The LSAT can be mastered, just a matter of learning it IMO.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 23, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »
Do u officially have to report every school I went to? Even those that I did not use for my undergrad degree?
Is it a big deal if I leave one out? Gpa wise it will hurt me to add it