Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 402604 times)

Online gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2120 on: December 11, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
long, specific, earnest.
I hear that. I learned with a PHD rabbi dr ( a real intellectual scholar) for a while independently and he know me very well (from learning).We did not know each other before we learned. is there any value to that as a supplemental LOR?

Also I can get a letter from the rosh yeshiva of my yeshiva i was in whose name will definitely come up if you google him(making it more credible) but Ill probably get a better letter from a rebbi of mine who is a "no name". Which would be better? Does it even make a difference?

TIA

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2121 on: December 11, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
What would you say makes an excellent recommendation letter?
I hear that. I learned with a PHD rabbi dr ( a real intellectual scholar) for a while independently and he know me very well (from learning).We did not know each other before we learned. is there any value to that as a supplemental LOR?

Also I can get a letter from the rosh yeshiva of my yeshiva i was in whose name will definitely come up if you google him(making it more credible) but Ill probably get a better letter from a rebbi of mine who is a "no name". Which would be better? Does it even make a difference?

TIA

There are examples of great letters online, and professors explain specific in-class examples of the way that their students stand out. 

I would think that a better recommendation letter from a lesser known person/rabbi will go further than a typical letter from your rosh yeshiva.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: December 11, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
There are examples of great letters online, and professors explain specific in-class examples of the way that their students stand out. 

I would think that a better recommendation letter from a lesser known person/rabbi will go further than a typical letter from your rosh yeshiva.

Agreed. Not likely that they'll google your letter writer's name, especially if its not particularly effusive.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: December 11, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
There is really close to zero chance that they look up the writer of a letter of recommendation. That’s about the same chance that a letter of recommendation would have any impact on your acceptance chances. A letter from your 2 rebbes stating how wonderful of a student you are, and that you’re an even better person is all you should need. No reason to make yourself crazy over this.
As a Yeshiva guy, it’s almost completely your numbers (LSAT & GPA) and your personal statement.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: December 11, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
As a Yeshiva guy, it’s almost completely your numbers (LSAT & GPA) and your personal statement.
From what I'm understanding I would assume its only LSAT and GPA. PS can only get you out. BH my life has not been outstanding in any way- meaning nothing crazy happened in my life that will make my PS very interesting.

Also, just curious, Is there any school in the T14 that would offer any sort of scholarship to a BTL?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: December 12, 2018, 07:47:37 AM »
In the T14, absolutely. I know Georgetown gives, and I would imagine others would too. In the T7, I believe it is possible from Penn, but other than that I don’t know. But I believe Harvard is quite liberal with their need based financial aid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:45:39 AM by Cls2020 »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
From what I'm understanding I would assume its only LSAT and GPA. PS can only get you out. BH my life has not been outstanding in any way- meaning nothing crazy happened in my life that will make my PS very interesting.

Also, just curious, Is there any school in the T14 that would offer any sort of scholarship to a BTL?

Harvard

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:58 PM »

TIA

long, specific, earnest

NO ROSH YESHIVA!!! He will write a 2 paragraph generic letter that he thinks sounds good because it uses words longer than two syllables, and it will sound like a haskama to a sefer.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 12, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »
long, specific, earnest

NO ROSH YESHIVA!!! He will write a 2 paragraph generic letter that he thinks sounds good because it uses words longer than two syllables, and it will sound like a haskama to a sefer.

lol. Happens to be this Rosh yeshiva is very articulate and has a very good command of language. And he would work with me. But either way it doesn't seem to make a diff so probably gonna just ask a rebbi as he is nowhere near as busy and I won't feel bad bothering him more

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 12, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
lol. Happens to be this Rosh yeshiva is very articulate and has a very good command of language. And he would work with me. But either way it doesn't seem to make a diff so probably gonna just ask a rebbi as he is nowhere near as busy and I won't feel bad bothering him more

Is not about command of english. It's a cultural issue of not having any idea what hes supposed to say

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: December 12, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
Is not about command of english. It's a cultural issue of not having any idea what hes supposed to say
can't intelligent him what he is supposed to say?
But I'll probably have that same cukturak issue as him if that's the case...

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 12, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »
Can't you just provide him the text of a letter for him to sign? Keeping it true of course. Saves him the time of drafting.

Offline johnshek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 13, 2018, 04:03:26 AM »
long, specific, earnest

-1 my rosh yeshiva has a vocabulary that could make your head spin. He has written many letters of recommendation for law school applications. They don't give those jobs to chimps. There are many rosh yeshivos that are both polished and worldly. Especially in today's world, being able to relate and navigate is crucial.
P.s. You would never tell by looking at my rosh yeshiva, frock and long white beard like the rest.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 13, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »
Having a hard time finding out any other info online. Perhaps someone here can help.
Just took the November lsat and scored pretty well but not my fullest potential. I'm debating taking again in January but I was wondering how law schools woud see my app. I would apply now with my current score. Do they put it on hold till after they get my second score? Or do they take it now and take into account my second score when it comes. Also say I get accepted somewhere does s second better lsat score raise my scholarship eligibility?

Thanks

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 13, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
Sorry for hounding this thread..
Do law schools still give fee waivers upon request? the info I found online seems to be from a couple of years back. Is it still the case? got waivers from about half the t14. Figuring it cant hurt to try to get from as many as I can (not HYS obviously, although I dont know if I'm even gonna apply to Y or S).
TIA

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 13, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
Sorry for hounding this thread..
Do law schools still give fee waivers upon request? the info I found online seems to be from a couple of years back. Is it still the case? got waivers from about half the t14. Figuring it cant hurt to try to get from as many as I can (not HYS obviously, although I dont know if I'm even gonna apply to Y or S).
TIA
if you don’t ask...

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2136 on: December 13, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

TIA
Local Orthodox Rabbi yes, Letter Of Recommendation maybe ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:34:23 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 13, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »
-1 my rosh yeshiva has a vocabulary that could make your head spin. He has written many letters of recommendation for law school applications. They don't give those jobs to chimps. There are many rosh yeshivos that are both polished and worldly. Especially in today's world, being able to relate and navigate is crucial.
P.s. You would never tell by looking at my rosh yeshiva, frock and long white beard like the rest.

I'll make this point only one more time.

When a RY writes a letter of recommendation, he is thinking it should look like a haskama.  I have known this person for many years when he was a student in our yeshiva, and he is a big talmid chochom and I was so glad to see this sefer that he toiled on and  you will learn a lot from it.

Which is what haskamas are supposed to look like. But not what LORs are supposed to look like, even if written with every word in the thesaurus.

That is why you need to counsel your ry on what to write, if you are asking him to write.  Tell him to make it long (page and half I'd guess), specific (one time in my lecture he answered a question that had been bothering me for years with a brilliant theory, etc), and earnest (sound like he thought about it and isn't just pushing out what he writes for everyone).

Offline johnshek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 13, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »
I'll make this point only one more time.

When a RY writes a letter of recommendation, he is thinking it should look like a haskama.  I have known this person for many years when he was a student in our yeshiva, and he is a big talmid chochom and I was so glad to see this sefer that he toiled on and  you will learn a lot from it.

Which is what haskamas are supposed to look like. But not what LORs are supposed to look like, even if written with every word in the thesaurus.

That is why you need to counsel your ry on what to write, if you are asking him to write.  Tell him to make it long (page and half I'd guess), specific (one time in my lecture he answered a question that had been bothering me for years with a brilliant theory, etc), and earnest (sound like he thought about it and isn't just pushing out what he writes for everyone).
Why would you want to make an unsound point a second time?
There are plenty of RYs who are both knowledgeable about and capable of producing effective letters of recommendation. They dont live under the desks they study at. My rosh yeshiva and a former talmid(who is now himself a rosh yeshiva) had a series of correspondences with Alan dershowitz after a chance encounter at an event.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 13, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
Ok, you're right.