Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398474 times)

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2180 on: July 23, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
Yep. Like they say with investing "you can either eat well or sleep well!"

The discipline of behavioral finance suggests that the measure of risk is both personal (emotional tolerance for risk) and dependent on personal wealth. For example, while investing 200K for a 50/50 chance of immediately getting 600K in return, is statistically a good bet to take  (with an "expected" payoff of $300K).  However a person with a lot of assets can afford to make the investment/bet (and perhaps "should"), but the person with few assets can't (if it may cost them their house, relationships, family harmony, the peace of mind) and probably should not.

Also, the discipline of economics suggests that the marginal utility (pleasure) of incremental assets decline. (i.e. the improvement in quality of life of having a 6-bedroom home vs. a 5 bedroom home, is much smaller than the difference between having a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom home). The same is true of income, the incremental pleasure derived from making $250K vs $150K, is relatively modest compared to the incremental pleasure derived from making $150K vs. $50K. Point being the "financial/mathematics return" may overstate the "utility of that return", when doing a cost vs. benefit analysis.

I’m not sure if Utility theory is applicable here as we are discussing income required to raise a Frum family, so the difference could be between being able to marry off children and pay tuition, not just how big your house is.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 23, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
I went to law school, borrowed the bucks, been working for just about 6 years, and don't regret it. 

But, I'm still skeptical anytime anyone else goes to law school.  And it has to do with what is your next best option.  For me, there was pretty much no decent next best option, but if you're already been working in business for a couple of years, or if you have relationships that could get you into a job that has some growth potential, the analysis changes dramatically.

Most biglaw lawyers are out of biglaw by the time they have finished paying down their debt, so one way to look at it is that they slaved away at a high pressure high hours job to pay the cost of law school, and their real career starts at that point.  But they jobs they walk into are often no better than they could have been at if they had just taken the other opportunities originally instead of law school.

Many accountants come to law school, because they realize that they are working half the year just as bad or worse than the lawyers, for 1/3 they pay.  But if they'd just stuck it out another 6 years, I think they would get a better exit than if they went to law school for 3 years, then worked as a junior associate for three years. 

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2182 on: July 23, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
I went to law school, borrowed the bucks, been working for just about 6 years, and don't regret it. 

But, I'm still skeptical anytime anyone else goes to law school.  And it has to do with what is your next best option.  For me, there was pretty much no decent next best option, but if you're already been working in business for a couple of years, or if you have relationships that could get you into a job that has some growth potential, the analysis changes dramatically.
Amen, did the same (more than 10 years and partner now, but still paying those loans). i look around at my friends and colleagues and while in retrospect it worked for me, it didn't for many i know.

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 24, 2019, 07:35:37 AM »
Amen, did the same (more than 10 years and partner now, but still paying those loans). i look around at my friends and colleagues and while in retrospect it worked for me, it didn't for many i know.
When you say it didn't work what do you mean? They didn't make partner or they got screwd on their debt. Big difference

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 24, 2019, 08:48:12 AM »

Most biglaw lawyers are out of biglaw by the time they have finished paying down their debt, so one way to look at it is that they slaved away at a high pressure high hours job to pay the cost of law school, and their real career starts at that point.  But they jobs they walk into are often no better than they could have been at if they had just taken the other opportunities originally instead of law school.

Many accountants come to law school, because they realize that they are working half the year just as bad or worse than the lawyers, for 1/3 they pay.  But if they'd just stuck it out another 6 years, I think they would get a better exit than if they went to law school for 3 years, then worked as a junior associate for three years.
Just @ me next time. Sheesh

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 25, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »
When you say it didn't work what do you mean? They didn't make partner or they got screwd on their debt. Big difference
they either didnt get a biglaw job (and wanted one) or did but got laid off within a year or so. some already had connections to use, some as a continuing lawyer and some more business focused (and some went to business school).

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 22, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
Does anyone have any info regarding what firms are thinking about incoming associates/summers?

I understand that this may be too early for that, but still curious.

Thanks!

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 22, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
Does anyone have any info regarding what firms are thinking about incoming associates/summers?

I understand that this may be too early for that, but still curious.

Thanks!
I would be more worried about incoming than summers.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 23, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
I’m sure nobody is thinking about the incoming class yet. My guess is that if we’re still wfh, that many firms would defer their class until they can start in the office.

As for summers, there will of course be hiring, but perhaps reduced classes to the huge classes we’ve been seeing the past few years.

What about the 2020 summers who were supposed to summer in May?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 23, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
I’m sure nobody is thinking about the incoming class yet. My guess is that if we’re still wfh, that many firms would defer their class until they can start in the office.

As for summers, there will of course be hiring, but perhaps reduced classes to the huge classes we’ve been seeing the past few years.

What about the 2020 summers who were supposed to summer in May?
A few people I know who are summering this year have heard from their firms that they are still intending on having the summer program, fwiw.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
Anybody have any idea what they’re going to do with the July bar exam?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 24, 2020, 10:23:39 PM »
Anybody have any idea what they’re going to do with the July bar exam?
They have assembled a task force of the most capable individuals known to mankind to deal with this.   ::)

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
Columbia has already pushed EIP to January 2021.
do they have a specific date yet? i hope not yeshiva week...

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
do they have a specific date yet? i hope not yeshiva week...
Not that I have heard of, but the spring semester always starts the Tuesday after MLK day, and J-Term is the week prior. So I would assume they would make it early in January to accommodate for all 2Ls to be there. I believe yeshiva week is later in January.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 29, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »
https://abovethelaw.com/2020/03/july-ny-state-bar-exam-officially-off/
not sure why they think an exam in September/October will be possible.

Really hope they consider either giving an online exam or granting diploma privileges in lieu of an exam if they have to cancel the fall administration.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
not sure why they think an exam in September/October will be possible.

Really hope they consider either giving an online exam or granting diploma privileges in lieu of an exam if they have to cancel the fall administration.
I think I would be a bit nervous about taking an online exam. How can we be sure the prep courses could adequately prepare us for a format of test they have never seen before?

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 08, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
NYS Bar Exam Rescheduled to 9/9-9/10
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.