Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398222 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2220 on: May 14, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
7th year in biglaw in banking/lending practice (so not one of the supposedly "lifestyle" practices like Tax or T&E). My billable hours last 2 years were 1967 and 1872 respectively + another 170ish or so firm/pro-bono work, so definitely not doing 80 hour billable weeks on a regular basis. Would not be surprised if people telling you that they consistently do 80 hr billable weeks are exaggerating or over-billing.

Offline gsquared817

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: May 14, 2020, 12:25:44 PM »
Been in federal government for almost 10 years here in DC. When I first got here jobs were plentiful, but in the past 4-5 years it seems impossible to get into the federal govnerment (state and local probably different). I work for a FIRREA agency so the pay is higher, benefits are amazing, and its basically life-work balance (work from home 3+ days a week, can make up YT hours etc) not to mention, pension etc. if you can get here, you should.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: May 14, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
What are people’s hours like recently? I had like 75 hours in April and maybe 15 so far in May.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: May 14, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »
Been in federal government for almost 10 years here in DC. When I first got here jobs were plentiful, but in the past 4-5 years it seems impossible to get into the federal govnerment (state and local probably different). I work for a FIRREA agency so the pay is higher, benefits are amazing, and its basically life-work balance (work from home 3+ days a week, can make up YT hours etc) not to mention, pension etc. if you can get here, you should.
Wow!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
7th year in biglaw in banking/lending practice (so not one of the supposedly "lifestyle" practices like Tax or T&E). My billable hours last 2 years were 1967 and 1872 respectively + another 170ish or so firm/pro-bono work, so definitely not doing 80 hour billable weeks on a regular basis. Would not be surprised if people telling you that they consistently do 80 hr billable weeks are exaggerating or over-billing.
They've been saying that in the beginning for them it's nothing but work all week, sleeping in the office etc. IDK.

― Aristotle

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: May 14, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »
What are people’s hours like recently? I had like 75 hours in April and maybe 15 so far in May.
What practice group? 

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: May 14, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »
What practice group?

Real Estate (finance and JV)

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2227 on: May 15, 2020, 02:41:22 AM »
They've been saying that in the beginning for them it's nothing but work all week, sleeping in the office etc. IDK.
Depends on lots of factors. i've had 1680 years and 2500 years (but most around 1900-2000). I do M&A so generally my hours work out to like 15 80 hour weeks (when things are really moving on a deal), 10 recovery weeks/vacations, and then normal work life. i think litigation generally is more consistent (esp with doc review) with a little blip for trials.
@michael what practice are you?

i've been averaging a little over 100 a month the past couple months, most of my deals are on hold or dead, and im not surprised real estate finance is worse. Highly suggest you actively seek out work (ask your direct superiors first, and if they dont have work/quality non-billable work ask them if they care if you reach out to other dept heads to learn a bit of bankruptcy etc. need to show that you arent freeloading and want to work in these scary times for some firms.
As an aside, i'm very scared for Real Estate, dont think commercial real estate in NY will ever be what it was. 

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2228 on: May 15, 2020, 02:43:50 AM »
Re the ease of getting government jobs, I think a lot of it depends on applying to lower-profile agencies. Everyone wants to go to the NYC Law Department or the AG's office, and those are really hard to get, but I spent years working at a regular NYC agency that staffs about 200 attorneys and we had to beg people to come work for us. The work is not as flashy, sure (I doubt many people go to law school dreaming of evaluating supplemental needs trusts or prosecuting taxi drivers) but once you're in the system it's easier to move around. Even now with the hiring freeze there are about 30 active attorney postings.
can you give some examples of positions/agencies where there are decent lawyer jobs that are attainable? I was the idiot looking at NYC law dept/ag :)

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:55 AM »
I’m in Tax. Hours are fairly steady across the year. Been averaging 120 or so the past few months, mostly because I don’t have more time to take on more work as the kids are home.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: May 15, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
Depends on lots of factors. i've had 1680 years and 2500 years (but most around 1900-2000). I do M&A so generally my hours work out to like 15 80 hour weeks (when things are really moving on a deal), 10 recovery weeks/vacations, and then normal work life. i think litigation generally is more consistent (esp with doc review) with a little blip for trials.
@michael what practice are you?
 i've been averaging a little over 100 a month the past couple months, most of my deals are on hold or dead, and im not surprised real estate finance is worse. Highly suggest you actively seek out work (ask your direct superiors first, and if they dont have work/quality non-billable work ask them if they care if you reach out to other dept heads to learn a bit of bankruptcy etc. need to show that you arent freeloading and want to work in these scary times for some firms.
As an aside, i'm very scared for Real Estate, dont think commercial real estate in NY will ever be what it was.

Our practice is pretty national in scope - I would say most deals are outside NYC rather than local deals. Still 100% agree - RE is scary right now as no one knows pricing. Of course been reaching out and all that. Everyone slow across the board. I’m a pretty well liked mid-level so not overly concerned about being let off (they haven’t laid off any staff or jrs yet). That being said if it continues like this for a few more months all bets are off....

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
My start date at the firm was pushed to 2021.  Joining the EBEC group.  Any thoughts on this?  Thinking about getting some tax experience too, so as not to pigeonhole myself.  Thoughts?

Offline yyt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 07, 2020, 01:32:27 AM »
I have a btl from BMG and am thinking about law school. I have started to self study for the lsat and so  far I am scoring very nicely, and I plan on taking an official course as well. I have a gpa of slightly  under a 4.0. Other then that I am a very much a typical guy who learnt in yeshiva. My question is, is it possible and how likely is it to get a nice scholarship from a T7 school like Columbia and UPenn (NYU if they even accept btl's), assuming I get a high enough score on the lsat.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 07, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »
What does an 80 hour week look like? That’s 16 hours 5 days a week. Obviously not Friday so lots of Sunday hours? Adding up commute time, 3 tefillos, minimal eating time, that doesn’t seem humanly possible....

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2235 on: June 07, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
I have a btl from BMG and am thinking about law school. I have started to self study for the lsat and so  far I am scoring very nicely, and I plan on taking an official course as well. I have a gpa of slightly  under a 4.0. Other then that I am a very much a typical guy who learnt in yeshiva. My question is, is it possible and how likely is it to get a nice scholarship from a T7 school like Columbia and UPenn (NYU if they even accept btl's), assuming I get a high enough score on the lsat.
A lot of scholarship is financial related. If you don't qualify financially I wouldn't bank on getting a scholarship from T7.

Just know if you want big law it'll be a worthwhile investment going to a T7.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2236 on: June 07, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
What does an 80 hour week look like? That’s 16 hours 5 days a week. Obviously not Friday so lots of Sunday hours? Adding up commute time, 3 tefillos, minimal eating time, that doesn’t seem humanly possible....
Just stop thinking of a regular job and someone can easily work from 9am to 2am on a weekday. Also can work motzei shabbos and all day Sunday.

80 hour work week isn't crazy at all, I'm sure many big law lawyers have done 100+ weeks...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 07, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
Just stop thinking of a regular job and someone can easily work from 9am to 2am on a weekday. Also can work motzei shabbos and all day Sunday.

80 hour work week isn't crazy at all, I'm sure many big law lawyers have done 100+ weeks...

Yah.  I consider midnight my 5 o’clock.  That’s why i do the midnight daf by zoom.  Pm for details

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 07, 2020, 04:23:47 PM »

Probably belongs in the bitachon vs hishtadlus thread (davening with minyan thread?)

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
Probably belongs in the bitachon vs hishtadlus thread (davening with minyan thread?)
bitachon vs hishtadlus thread - link?

― Aristotle