Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398274 times)

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2240 on: June 07, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
Just stop thinking of a regular job and someone can easily work from 9am to 2am on a weekday. Also can work motzei shabbos and all day Sunday.

80 hour work week isn't crazy at all, I'm sure many big law lawyers have done 100+ weeks...

9AM?! Can’t remember the last time I made it to the office before 9:45. But 2AM a couple of weeks in a row not crazy if I’m busy, and Sunday work can be pretty common too when busy.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 07, 2020, 04:57:12 PM »
I have a btl from BMG and am thinking about law school. I have started to self study for the lsat and so  far I am scoring very nicely, and I plan on taking an official course as well. I have a gpa of slightly  under a 4.0. Other then that I am a very much a typical guy who learnt in yeshiva. My question is, is it possible and how likely is it to get a nice scholarship from a T7 school like Columbia and UPenn (NYU if they even accept btl's), assuming I get a high enough score on the lsat.

How do GPAs at BMG work? Are there exams?

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 07, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
How do GPAs at BMG work? Are there exams?
lol
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 07, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »
9AM?! Can’t remember the last time I made it to the office before 9:45. But 2AM a couple of weeks in a row not crazy if I’m busy, and Sunday work can be pretty common too when busy.
pretty intense hours wow
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline yyt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 07, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
A lot of scholarship is financial related. If you don't qualify financially I wouldn't bank on getting a scholarship from T7.

Just know if you want big law it'll be a worthwhile investment going to a T7.
Thanks for the reply. I understand not to bank on it, I’m wondering though, is it even likely? I am scoring relatively very well after some self study, so I’m just wondering if there is a reasonable chance.

Offline yyt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 07, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
pretty intense hours wow
I’m thinking about going for law, as is pretty noticeable  :) and have been reading up on this thread. I see a recent discussion was this precisely; what are the hours for biglaw. I didn’t see a clear consensus on this, though. What is the average expected work week? Are there options with normal work hours? If I do not want to do 50-60(+) hour work weeks long term, I should forget about biglaw (and possibly all law)? What about doing it for a few years, what are the exit options after that? I am pretty analytical, and think I can do well in the actual practice of law, but not sure what else is generally needed to do well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:07:57 PM by yyt »

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2246 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:54 AM »
My start date at the firm was pushed to 2021.  Joining the EBEC group.  Any thoughts on this?  Thinking about getting some tax experience too, so as not to pigeonhole myself.  Thoughts?
what does your firm say. ask them if they could place you assisting at an inhouse client perhaps (some big companies have several inhouse emp benefits people). is it early 2021 or fall 2021? if the latter, could u somehow sneak into one of these graduate tax programs at the school you are currently in (esp with zoom?)?

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 08, 2020, 01:22:25 AM »
I’m thinking about going for law, as is pretty noticeable  :) and have been reading up on this thread. I see a recent discussion was this precisely; what are the hours for biglaw. I didn’t see a clear consensus on this, though. What is the average expected work week? Are there options with normal work hours? If I do not want to do 50-60(+) hour work weeks long term, I should forget about biglaw (and possibly all law)? What about doing it for a few years, what are the exit options after that? I am pretty analytical, and think I can do well in the actual practice of law, but not sure what else is generally needed to do well.
if u expect/need the biglaw payoff u cant expect to work less than an average of 60 hours a week (or u will be let go these days pretty quick if work is otherwise available). sure u might get lucky, or as is more likely, if your people skills arent as good as a goy named tyler who played varsity polo, and your grades arent S&C/Wachtell level, u will probably end up at one or another large sweatshops where u can cost for 3 years just doing heavy hours of doc review or due diligence before u figure out what u will do. options really depend on clients and also to an extent your relationships from law school or otherwise.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 08, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
I have a btl from BMG and am thinking about law school. I have started to self study for the lsat and so  far I am scoring very nicely, and I plan on taking an official course as well. I have a gpa of slightly  under a 4.0. Other then that I am a very much a typical guy who learnt in yeshiva. My question is, is it possible and how likely is it to get a nice scholarship from a T7 school like Columbia and UPenn (NYU if they even accept btl's), assuming I get a high enough score on the lsat.
It is possible, but you likely would have to get in the upper 170s to get a scholarship (not including financial based scholarships). It also depends on what you mean when you say a nice scholarship.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2249 on: June 08, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I understand not to bank on it, I’m wondering though, is it even likely? I am scoring relatively very well after some self study, so I’m just wondering if there is a reasonable chance.
I would say it is NOT likely.

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: June 09, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
The most classic exit is working at an internal legal department. Hours will be far more reasonable. You also get general access to the business community & can be offered any job or partnership along the way. You can also have an easier time getting accepted into business school & following an MBA career path.

If your concern is work/life balance, it very well may be worth working hard for a couple of years & then getting off the highway. But if you detest working and every day is a struggle, I doubt you'll be able to push yourself the whole way, and you're likely to give up in middle and be stuck with large debt.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2251 on: June 09, 2020, 10:10:15 AM »
The most classic exit is working at an internal legal department. Hours will be far more reasonable. You also get general access to the business community & can be offered any job or partnership along the way. You can also have an easier time getting accepted into business school & following an MBA career path.

If your concern is work/life balance, it very well may be worth working hard for a couple of years & then getting off the highway. But if you detest working and every day is a struggle, I doubt you'll be able to push yourself the whole way, and you're likely to give up in middle and be stuck with large debt.
If you want to get an MBA please skip law school, unless you want to do a MBA/JD dual degree in 3 years, those are cool, although may not be worthwhile either.

Offline yyt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 10, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »
if u expect/need the biglaw payoff u cant expect to work less than an average of 60 hours a week (or u will be let go these days pretty quick if work is otherwise available). sure u might get lucky, or as is more likely, if your people skills arent as good as a goy named tyler who played varsity polo, and your grades arent S&C/Wachtell level, u will probably end up at one or another large sweatshops where u can cost for 3 years just doing heavy hours of doc review or due diligence before u figure out what u will do. options really depend on clients and also to an extent your relationships from law school or otherwise.

If you want to get an MBA please skip law school, unless you want to do a MBA/JD dual degree in 3 years, those are cool, although may not be worthwhile either.
Thanks for all the responses.
So it seems the general consensus here is that to start, you definitely have to expect long work weeks. I’m ok with this for a number of years. I don’t have a problem working hard for a few years, I just don’t want to go down a path that entails 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week, plus commute, for the next 30 odd years. That is too much. A few years of it is certainly fine.
What I’m trying to get a good sense of is, what is the likelihood of getting these internal legal jobs, or other job that has more reasonable hours.
Is it a bad idea to go down this path if I don’t want to do big law long term.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 10, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
So it seems the general consensus here is that to start, you definitely have to expect long work weeks. I’m ok with this for a number of years. I don’t have a problem working hard for a few years, I just don’t want to go down a path that entails 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week, plus commute, for the next 30 odd years. That is too much. A few years of it is certainly fine.
What I’m trying to get a good sense of is, what is the likelihood of getting these internal legal jobs, or other job that has more reasonable hours.
I don't know numbers for that, and https://www.top-law-schools.com/ may have better stats on that, but a lot of this has to do with your personality.

If you are a good peoples person you'll obviously be more likely to be hired for an in-house council job. Or open your own firm if you are a go getter etc.

There are just so many variables it's hard to predict something like that.

Offline monoso

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 10, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
There is a path of working in a more mid level firm where hours can be better, finish work at 7 for the most part, work at home several days a week , and generally do not have work on sundays maybe 2-3 hours.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 10, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »
i'll just note that in house does not mean anything close to a 40 hour work week (unless u are in compliance or some specialty). most of my inhouse clients work hours close to mine and have a lot more face time requirements.
the plus of staying at a firm is as u get senior people are fine with you working from home whenever u want so that saves lots of commute time.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: July 01, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »
If anyone is looking for an LSAT tutor, please pm me.

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: July 22, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
A lot of scholarship is financial related. If you don't qualify financially I wouldn't bank on getting a scholarship from T7.

Just know if you want big law it'll be a worthwhile investment going to a T7.
Need based aid can overcome "average" scores.  Anecdotally, NYU Law gave me 20k/yr 166 3.84 from Touro.  In off the WL in August.  Though NYU conflates need/merit aid, I probably got need based because late in cycle.  Also consider if you are 26 or older, as 26+ does not have to report parental income and is considered financially independent.  Or you can have stellar scores and theyll throw $ at you.  But probably pays to take the LSAT before hypothesizing!

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: July 22, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
I am currently interning in house at a hedge fund and also worked at a large tech company.  While in house positions are challenging to come by, ive worked with people who disnt go to great law schools/didnt work in BL and got the position by pure hustle and just wanting it real badly. 

But consider that BL and corporations look for a certain type.  Wear you tzitzis out or wear a white shirt every day?  Any grease?  These positions arent for you.  Unfortunately, some of my LS classmates who fit this description learned the hard way. 

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 23, 2020, 12:18:43 AM »

But consider that BL and corporations look for a certain type.  Wear you tzitzis out or wear a white shirt every day?  Any grease?  These positions arent for you.  Unfortunately, some of my LS classmates who fit this description learned the hard way. 
Do you mind providing a little more detail?
I understand the personality thing but why would they have an issue with dressing more formally? (Nice, Tailored Suit + White shirt) if anything wouldn't that give you some authority?
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL