Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 398317 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
Most attorney you ask now a days will tell you to find the cheapest law school and plan on doing your law studying in the field.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
+10000000

So much wrong with that statement. For starters it's known that you don't learn how to practice as an attorney in law school.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »
Most attorney you ask now a days will tell you to find the cheapest law school and plan on doing your law studying in the field.

Thanks Hirsh, best laugh I've had all day!

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »
Take a survey.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »

As Henche will tell you anyone going to law school, must spend time at http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/index.php

+1
And as regards ranking in IP, standard TLS wisdom is that those rankings are irrelevant. If you need proof, just log onto the firm bios at any of the top NYC firms, and see where the IP associates hired in the past 4 years went to school. It wasn't cardozo--it was harvard, columbia, NYU, and other national schools.

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:18 PM »
+10000000

So much wrong with that statement. For starters it's known that you don't learn how to practice as an attorney in law school.

There is a lot of talk about redoing the law school system to include internships and continuing to lengthen the bar exam to including being able to actually know how to practise instead of just knowing theory.

So get under the wire before they start adding even more stuff to the school mandates and the tests...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »
There is a lot of talk
FTFY

You can add a lot of talk of making law school 2 years, so better wait till it's just 2 years.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
FTFY

You can add a lot of talk of making law school 2 years, so better wait till it's just 2 years.
Nothing will change. Law schools are a cash cow. Simple as that. No one is gonna kill the cow
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dave321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
Wow... good debate guys.

I am wondering if its worth all the debt....

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
Wow... good debate guys.

I am wondering if its worth all the debt....
Exactly why it depends on the school, from an investment standpoint.

Top schools the majority of the class is making $160,000 first year out. That can justify $200,000 debt. But a lower school the average student doesn't even find a job as a lawyer and has $100,000 debt.

See earlier in this thread a link to school employment and salary stats.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Nothing will change. Law schools are a cash cow. Simple as that. No one is gonna kill the cow
FTFY

The public is talking about the 2 year law school,  and they are also talking about making it cheaper, however the administration  and the judiciary is talking about making it better. Although they are not saying this better takes longer and costs more. You are right they are a cash cow, and that cow is going to get feed better as time goes on.

As for nothing changing 5 additional "parts" for the bar exam are drafted and pilot tested as we speak. Maybe nothing will change however that is looking less and less likely.

Exactly why it depends on the school, from an investment standpoint.

Top schools the majority of the class is making $160,000 first year out. That can justify $200,000 debt. But a lower school the average student doesn't even find a job as a lawyer and has $100,000 debt.

See earlier in this thread a link to school employment and salary stats.

1 out of 5 students on average end up practicing law for a living. Even your top tier schools average at around 80 not finding a job in the first year for part pay positions. For the vast majority the answer to Dave321's question is, no.

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Ok thanks all for the advice... ill keep doing some research.

maybe ill just get an MBA. I can get one for about 35k lol....

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
@Hirshthg 80 what don't find a job?

And the judiciary is also talking about making law school 2 years. Well at least justice Kennedy was last I spoke with him :P

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »

@Hirshthg 80 what don't find a job?

And the judiciary is also talking about making law school 2 years. Well at least justice Kennedy was last I spoke with him :P

It all depends on WHY someone wants to go.
A penny saved is 1 cent

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
It all depends on WHY someone wants to go.

Couldn't have said better.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »

dont know what u mean by top schools, but after the top 5, no "majority of the class" is making 160k/getting NY biglaw, and if you plan to wear a yarmulke to interviews, u better be law review/top grades. I've interviewed several ortho jews at my firm, and its pretty impossible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:19 AM »
dont know what u mean by top schools, but after the top 5, no "majority of the class" is making 160k/getting NY biglaw, and if you plan to wear a yarmulke to interviews, u better be law review/top grades. I've interviewed several ortho jews at my firm, and its pretty impossible.
Top 5 sounds about right. I know Penn more than other schools and a majority of the class is earning160K first year out.

And interviews depend on the firm and person. I know a ddf member who has a yalmuka and beard and got a job at a top 5 firm. So everything is relative.

The bottom line if you love it do it. If not there may be better way to make money working that many hours a week.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
Dave,

If you want to take the patent bar, you need an undergraduate degree in one of the subjects listed in the link http://patbar.com/uspto-patent-bar-exam-requirements.shtml

About the cost of law school and whether its worth it: I always tell people to spend some time studying for the LSAT. If you find that you are naturally good at it, and ultimately do well on the LSAT, the numbers game may change somewhat. Of course, you may want to take a professional course before actually taking the exam, but I'm recommending to just buy a book and play around a bit first.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
It's a gamble. For some it works out for others it doesn't. You won't know for sure, so consider the possibility of failure and determine whether you can handle it financially.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

I'd say "majority of the class" who wants biglaw is getting it probably all the way through top 14 schools.

But I'm more intrigued by your yarmuke comment. My friends and I have wondered about this issue, but aren't quite sure how to study it. We certainly know many yarlmuke wearers at elite firms, but also know some yarlmuke wearing outliers not getting the jobs they would expect based on their school and grades.

I'm quite curious what your experience with that is