Author Topic: This is well worth the read!  (Read 2715 times)

Offline isaacs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
This is well worth the read!
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
> Me: God, can we talk?
> God: Sure.
> Me: Promise you won't get mad?
> God: I promise.
> Me: Why did you let so much stuff happen to me today?
> ... ... ... God: What do you mean?
> Me: Well, I woke up late.
> God: Yes.
> Me: My car took forever to start.
> God: Okay.
> Me: At lunch they made my sandwich wrong and I had to wait forever.
> God: Hmmm.
> Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call.
> God: Bummer.
> Me: And on top of it all, when I got home ~I just wanted to soak my feet in my new foot massage. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did you do that?
> God: Thanks for sharing. Let me see, the Death Angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one of the other angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that.
> Me (humbled): Oh.
> God: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.
> Me: *ashamed*
> God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick and I didn't want you to catch what they had. I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.
> Me: *embarrassed* Okay.
> God: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling you was was calling to share negativity ("hateration," as you call it), so I didn't even let you talk to them.
> Me
> (softly): I see.
> God: Oh and that foot massage, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.
> Me: I get it. I'm sorry.
> God: Don't be sorry, just learn to trust me in all things, the good and the (seemingly) bad. And don't doubt my plan-- it is always better than your plan. I'm doing a thing here.
> AMEN!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: This is well worth the read!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
Meh! Sorry but this is kinda lame and off. Not to mention that Gd has to battle the angel of death????
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
Yeah, whatever...

• That angel of death thing makes no sense. what is that saying? that had he been awake he would've seen the angels fighting over his life? (besides the fact that god should've just sent the angels earlier instead of having the guy sleep later.)
  • he should've made the drunk's car not start. why this guy?
  • he could've had the different person make the sandwich the first time instead of the sick guy. (also, what about everybody else who this guy made food for?)
  • the "hateration" guy's phone should've died.
  • that shortage thing doesn't even make any sense. A short in an appliance is gonna knock out power to his house overnight?
Sorry god, you still have some 'splaining to do...

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Meh! Sorry but this is kinda lame and off. Not to mention that Gd has to battle the angel of death????
It is the point of the story not the story itself.   ;)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
This is well worth the read!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

+1

Seriously you guys

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
what's the point of the story?
No matter how bad things are you need to thank G-d because he could've made it worse if he wanted?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Yeah, whatever...

• That angel of death thing makes no sense. what is that saying? that had he been awake he would've seen the angels fighting over his life? (besides the fact that god should've just sent the angels earlier instead of having the guy sleep later.)
  • he should've made the drunk's car not start. why this guy?
  • he could've had the different person make the sandwich the first time instead of the sick guy. (also, what about everybody else who this guy made food for?)
  • the "hateration" guy's phone should've died.
  • that shortage thing doesn't even make any sense. A short in an appliance is gonna knock out power to his house overnight?
Sorry god, you still have some 'splaining to do...
+1 thanks I was to lazy to go through all of them :)
The point of the story could be said in one sentence. If someone makes a bad parable and says well the point isn't the parable its the lesson we learn out-There is no need for a parable than...
what's the point of the story?
No matter how bad things are you need to thank G-d because he could've made it worse if he wanted?
I would assume the point of the story is hashkacha pratis, but its brought out in a horrible way...

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »
I thought the point of the story was obvious but I stand corrected. 
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
well it's obvious that the point the author was trying to make was
God: Don't be sorry, just learn to trust me in all things, the good and the (seemingly) bad. And don't doubt my plan-- it is always better than your plan. I'm doing a thing here.

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
there was nothing wrong with the parable. the point was well made in it. and as to the question of why not do the bad thing to the other person- do u think u are so good that everything should be perfect? just be happy the really bad thing didnt happen

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
there was nothing wrong with the parable. the point was well made in it. and as to the question of why not do the bad thing to the other person- do u think u are so good that everything should be perfect? just be happy the really bad thing didnt happen
So in other words you're saying that the point is

oh, and "could've been worse" != good.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
Maybe this is why we don't agree on this story. imho everything IS perfect.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
I disagree with the message. The story is implying all God does is really good (for us), and if would be otherwise we wouldn't need to love/believe him. In truth, God can do things that are genuinely bad for us (as punishment/kaprah for example), and Emuna requires to believe in his existence even though it may be BAD for the sufferer.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
I disagree with the message. The story is implying all God does is really good (for us), and if would be otherwise we wouldn't need to love/believe him. In truth, God can do things that are genuinely bad for us (as punishment/kaprah for example), and Emuna requires to believe in his existence even though it may be BAD for the sufferer.

true..but if something that is 'genuinely bad' for us is ultimately good i.e. it spares us future punishment - emunah notwithstanding, isn't that at the end of the day something good?

Good is a tricky word. Everything has a reason...but ultimately if it has a purpose isn't it called good?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
true..but if something that is 'genuinely bad' for us is ultimately good i.e. it spares us future punishment - emunah notwithstanding, isn't that at the end of the day something good?

Good is a tricky word. Everything has a reason...but ultimately if it has a purpose isn't it called good?
ultimate punishment is not meant to spare us from future punishment. I guess maybe all punishment in Olam Haze is sparing us from punishment in Olam haba, but I wouldn't be sure.

Also this touches upon Tzafik Vra Lo, and both he consensus (Rambam, Ramban) is that the explanations do not completely explain it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
ultimate punishment is not meant to spare us from future punishment. I guess maybe all punishment in Olam Haze is sparing us from punishment in Olam haba, but I wouldn't be sure.

Also this touches upon Tzafik Vra Lo, and both he consensus (Rambam, Ramban) is that the explanations do not completely explain it.

Tzadik v'ra lo in nutshell = G-d punishes the righteous in this world giving them the opportunity to earn reward...what do you mean by the consensus explaining it? 

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »
Tzadik v'ra lo in nutshell = G-d punishes the righteous in this world giving them the opportunity to earn reward...what do you mean by the consensus explaining it?
That the rishonim say that doesn't completely answer the question