Author Topic: Closing Freedom/Sapphire NP - Quick Q:  (Read 1454 times)

Offline shael

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Closing Freedom/Sapphire NP - Quick Q:
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
Guys,

My wife doesn't use her Freedom and neither of use our Sapphire Non-Preferred card. We would like to cancel them, leaving my my Freedom and my Preferred (she'd be a co-holder of both). Is there any negative in doing that?

OUR CARDS
Me:
Freedom
- CL $10,500

Sapphire Preferred
-CL $16,000
-Wife has card with her name, same CC#

Wife:
Freedom
- CL: $1,100

Sapphire Non-Preferred
- CL: $10,000
- I have card with my name, same CC #

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Closing Freedom/Sapphire NP - Quick Q:
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
Both of your wife's cards are fee free so why bother cancelling? Just shelve them until you want to use them or at least keep them as leverage should you want to open other chase cards

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
Both of your wife's cards are fee free so why bother cancelling? Just shelve them until you want to use them or at least keep them as leverage should you want to open other chase cards

+1, and why bother creating essentially the same thread again?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shael

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »
+1, and why bother creating essentially the same thread again?

Fair point, I caught up with Dan earlier and he suggested that fewer questions per thread would be a better approach - realize my first thread was pretty heavy. Had intended to remove the topic but didn't get to do it yet.

Appreciate the advice, I think it makes sense just to stash them away and leave them open since they're fee-free.

Wife and I have the following cards and we're trying to figure out how to juggle them. Our thoughts are to use only one Freedom for everything but Travel/Dining and to save those two categories for the Preferred.

Was wondering what you guys thought about checking accounts and Chase. We pay our cards off from our joint account. I know you get points by having them "linked" - is that a formal process or you just simply pay from it and it happens?

Thanks so much guys!  :)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
Was wondering what you guys thought about checking accounts and Chase. We pay our cards off from our joint account. I know you get points by having them "linked" - is that a formal process or you just simply pay from it and it happens?

The linking process happens automatically (or at least it should). In my case, my wife has the Freedom and it is linked to a joint checking account and it happened in 2-3 billing cycles.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shael

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
The linking process happens automatically (or at least it should). In my case, my wife has the Freedom and it is linked to a joint checking account and it happened in 2-3 billing cycles.

Thanks!