Author Topic: to dispute or not to dispute  (Read 6244 times)

Offline jblack

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: to dispute or not to dispute
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
i rented a car and they called me 2hours after drop off that it had an 150$ scratch and charged it to my cc should i dispute (i dont believe them although i have no way of knowing for sure if i damaged?)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »
i rented a car and they called me 2hours after drop off that it had an 150$ scratch and charged it to my cc should i dispute (i dont believe them although i have no way of knowing for sure if i damaged?)
Doesn't your card have CDW?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »
Not sure how Amex is, but Chase will actually put a comment on your bureaus "account in dispute" or "account holder diputes data" (something to that effect) in the comment of that card. Chase did it on 2 different cards last year. One of them is still hanging there. I asked them how a merchant dispute is relevant to putting that info on my comments section of ALL THREE of my bureaus. They told me at first that they don't report that to the bureau, but subsequent calls with different CSR said it may report that. They told me not to worry and that it made no impact on my credit. I found it odd and worrysome. I contested it with them that it seems as though it reads I'm disputing the account and not a charge. They told again... nothing to worry... will fall off after closure. Just FYI

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
. will fall off after closure. Just FYI
what closure

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
I recently purchased a book on Amazon. It arrived in terrible condition, and included a reciept that stated that the seller purchased it from someone else, in poor condition.

I disputed it, and uploaded the receipt. Needless to say, I won, and got my money back.

Now the seller wants the book back. Does anyone think I need to return it?
Why didn't you go thru the regular path of Amazon A-Z guarantee?
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
I used my brother-in-laws credit card accidently (I carried it in my pocket for the purpose of a different charge) for a AA purchase, to top of an account that was missing a few 1000 miles.

I realized right away, and I called up AA and explained them the situation, and asked them to refund that charge, and reprocess it on my card. and they told me that this has nothing to do with them, because points.com processes this charge. So I called up points.com, which they told me that they cannot do anything, they are just the processors, this request must come from AA.

I told them: "I'm not fighting for my benefit, just for your benefit, because he will dispute this charge, and you'll lose the money". He told me, that this looks to be the only option.

My BIL ended up disputing this charge, and the miles are still on the account (actually no more, because it was redeemed and flown already).

I believe he'll win the dispute, because on the charge there was my name and info. What should I expect? a call from AA to cover the miles? or maybe nothing....

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I used my brother-in-laws credit card accidently (I carried it in my pocket for the purpose of a different charge) for a AA purchase, to top of an account that was missing a few 1000 miles.

I realized right away, and I called up AA and explained them the situation, and asked them to refund that charge, and reprocess it on my card. and they told me that this has nothing to do with them, because points.com processes this charge. So I called up points.com, which they told me that they cannot do anything, they are just the processors, this request must come from AA.

I told them: "I'm not fighting for my benefit, just for your benefit, because he will dispute this charge, and you'll lose the money". He told me, that this looks to be the only option.

My BIL ended up disputing this charge, and the miles are still on the account (actually no more, because it was redeemed and flown already).

I believe he'll win the dispute, because on the charge there was my name and info. What should I expect? a call from AA to cover the miles? or maybe nothing....

It might put the account in the negative if Points.com makes the effort to track it.
PGF24BMGS

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
It might put the account in the negative if Points.com makes the effort to track it.
This account is ready to go in garbage. the passenger has flown, and I do not have any plans to accumulate new miles on this account. this is my question, what will happen if they put this in negative:

1) will they charge me for that?
2) any chances on being banned from AA?
3) expect a phone call from AA

I guess time will tell. I'm just trying to speculate.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
This account is ready to go in garbage. the passenger has flown, and I do not have any plans to accumulate new miles on this account. this is my question, what will happen if they put this in negative:

1) will they charge me for that?
2) any chances on being banned from AA?
3) expect a phone call from AA

I guess time will tell. I'm just trying to speculate.

Sounds like theft to me.. your brother lent you his credit card for a specific purchase.. By accident you used it again.. you should have just paid him back cash and call it the day.
How did he dispute it, saying what? That someone used his card w/o him knowing? did he need to get a new card?
The cc company may look at that to find out who ripped them off, and the cc company or the sort may come after you.
Pending how much it is of course.. The larger the amount the more likely they would be to come after you.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »
Sounds like theft to me.. your brother lent you his credit card for a specific purchase.. By accident you used it again.. you should have just paid him back cash and call it the day.
How did he dispute it, saying what? That someone used his card w/o him knowing? did he need to get a new card?
The cc company may look at that to find out who ripped them off, and the cc company or the sort may come after you.
Pending how much it is of course.. The larger the amount the more likely they would be to come after you.
are you by any chance working for any cc company? or you're just not Jewish to be dan lcaf zchus?

1. I used it because I have the same card myself, and I didn't realize the difference.
2. He preferred to dispute, because he wanted to use his credit card for a big purchase, and I used a bit of his limit, and until I would meat him / have cash for him would take too long for him.
3. I have no problem to pay that. that's why I made the 2 phone calls that day, they should right away refund and charge my card instead. They were the ones that gave the green light to dispute.
4. he said that he has does not recognize this charge at all.
5. how could the credit card company come after me?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
Why didnt you pay the CC balance from your bank acc and your BIL would have his full CL available on the following buss day? Your arg sounds like a phoney answer for recon...
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
are you by any chance working for any cc company? or you're just not Jewish to be dan lcaf zchus?

1. I used it because I have the same card myself, and I didn't realize the difference.
2. He preferred to dispute, because he wanted to use his credit card for a big purchase, and I used a bit of his limit, and until I would meat him / have cash for him would take too long for him.
3. I have no problem to pay that. that's why I made the 2 phone calls that day, they should right away refund and charge my card instead. They were the ones that gave the green light to dispute.
4. he said that he has does not recognize this charge at all.
5. how could the credit card company come after me?

Why didnt he request a new card? The moment I see something funny on my card I call up and say send me a new one with a new number... I do not work for a credit card company, I am Jewish.
If they gave you the green light to dispute, did you take down their name? If they really gave you the green light, you have nothing to worry about, because you have that information handy if anyone contacts you.
There is so much fraud in the cc business. Im sure if they want to they can call up the merchant (points.com or AA) about the specific charge and say "whos account did you deposit miles into?"

Im not saying they will, I'm just trying to open your mind up a little more.

How long ago did this happen?

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »

Why didnt he request a new card? The moment I see something funny on my card I call up and say send me a new one with a new number... I do not work for a credit card company, I am Jewish.
If they gave you the green light to dispute, did you take down their name? If they really gave you the green light, you have nothing to worry about, because you have that information handy if anyone contacts you.
There is so much fraud in the cc business. Im sure if they want to they can call up the merchant (points.com or AA) about the specific charge and say "whos account did you deposit miles into?"

Im not saying they will, I'm just trying to open your mind up a little more.

How long ago did this happen?
This happened a week ago.
The phone calls with AA and Points.com were both recorded, and I have the name of the supervisor which gave me that green light.
And again, worst case I'll get a call from points.com or AA and they'll ask me to make a new purchase which I'll gladly make. Just I don't want to waste money to purchase miles on a account that is in good standing.
Why didnt you pay the CC balance from your bank acc and your BIL would have his full CL available on the following buss day? Your arg sounds like a phoney answer for recon...
I didn't want to. Simple. I am paying credit cards when they due. not a minute before. For a reason did I not use a debit card.

Offline jblack

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Doesn't your card have CDW?
any thoughts on if i can dispute?
not for israel whats the amozon a-z method?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would rent in Israel without MCW with CDW.

Of course you can dispute, what's stopping you?  Doesn't mean you'll win though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.