Author Topic: Parking Lot Accident  (Read 29733 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Parking Lot Accident
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
why not call gico tell them a "friend" had this accident ....... what is the company  policy --if he was in the wrong ???-- what if police say booth wrong???

ref :http://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/accident-impact-on-rate/
How will this claim affect my policy?
Printer Friendly
I Had an Accident. What's the Damage (to my Premium)?

Take a deep breath and relax. Filing a claim won't necessarily affect your premium. We'll review the details carefully to make sure you can keep enjoying the maximum savings GEICO can offer you. When evaluating your claim, we take many factors into account, including:

your driving record
    the number of claims you have made in the past
    the payout amount of your GEICO claims

If your rate is affected, you'll receive your new policy information and premium amounts about 30 days prior to the date your policy is up for renewal. If you have any questions, just call 1-800-861-8380. One of our licensed insurance agents will be happy to discuss any of your GEICO claims.
Accident Forgiveness – Because Nobody's Perfect!

Car accidents happen–even to the best drivers. If you have a solid driving record, you deserve a little credit. If you've been a GEICO customer for at least five years and haven't had an accident, you may qualify for accident forgiveness.

If you qualify for GEICO's accident forgiveness*, you may get a free pass on your first at–fault accident. That means your premium won't increase, and you'll keep your five–year good driver discount. No harm, no foul!

* GEICO accident forgiveness eligibility is determined by your specific policy type, as well as your state laws and regulations. Guidelines vary according to state law.

This material is intended for general information only. It does not expand coverage beyond the policy contract. Please refer to your policy contract for any specific information or questions on applicability of coverage.

i would report it -- as it maybe worse if she reports and u do not
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:33:42 AM by SPLP »

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
What about binding mediation?

Might be worth looking into
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline MeToo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Tell them you'd like to bring it to your body shop for an estimate.  See if it really is that amount. 

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »
Tell them you'd like to bring it to your body shop for an estimate.  See if it really is that amount.

I cant imaging it being much less.

But, you could always try to find a cheaper body shop.

She believes it to be my fault.
I don't and the cop didn't.
Yes and he could if need be.

Why don't you tell her you believe its her fault, and suggest that have your insurance's fight it out. What prob will happen is they will each blame it on the other and neither will pay.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
Why don't you tell her you believe its her fault, and suggest that have your insurance's fight it out. What prob will happen is they will each blame it on the other and neither will pay.
I understand that, but the question is how much/and if I should offer something just so that she doesn't do that as it seems my rates will go up if she decides to file.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mclovin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
I understand that, but the question is how much/and if I should offer something just so that she doesn't do that as it seems my rates will go up if she decides to file.
tell her you will buy the 6$ scratch fix kit and you will apply it for her

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
tell her you will buy the 6$ scratch fix kit and you will apply it for her
Do such things actually work?  Any experience?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »
some of them can def work for some cases (dont have experience just based on articles in magazines etc)

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
In theory you can deny the accident, as there is no proof. Not suggesting it, but perhaps you can inform her of such. She'd just be raising her rates by opening her mouth. Common sense anyone?
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »

Your rates will prob go up. (Geico :() And possibly hers to. I am saying to suggest to her this, and tell her that in this case the insurance company's will call it a deal and neither will pay. Therefore she is better off just not bringing it to insurance.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
Does she seem like someone who actually knows what she's talking about? I might also suggest that you wouldn't have to pay either way and if she does file a claim BOTH your rates will go up.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
In theory you can deny the accident, as there is no proof. Not suggesting it, but perhaps you can inform her of such. She'd just be raising her rates by opening her mouth. Common sense anyone?
Cop was a witness... besides Dan is a public figure. She has his info and can easily find this thread.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
Why not just tell her you have $400 in damages as well, so call it even?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

+1 exactly what he said!!!

i had the same exact thing happen to me in pa

i said we are both at fault if you make a claim so will I.

if they file you file your own claim tell them your car repair bill is WAY higher and there insurance will go WAY up

Offline stever

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
not for a scratch only for certan dents

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »

What exactly is the scratches? Is just white scratches? If yes, it should come off with rubbing alcohol.  If its paint from you car,  same trick will work - a little bit of rubbing alcohol.
If her car is missing paint,  then you have a problem. 

She claims its not her fault.  Why would she call it even, if she thinks she doesn't owe anything?

Offline Smartypantz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »
Just a little trick for scratches - Mr. Clean* magic eraser. I scratched my leased car twice, once on something (I don't know how!) and one on my garage as I was driving in. The magic eraser did the job amazing!! About $2.00, my friend did it too - it works with great results for scratches!!!!
Good luck Dan with this issue! My sister bumped into a guy once in a parking lot, a fifty dollar bill did the job for him lol if only we were always so lucky!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 12:28:49 AM »
Just a little trick for scratches - Mr. Clean* magic eraser. I scratched my leased car twice, once on something (I don't know how!) and one on my garage as I was driving in. The magic eraser did the job amazing!! About $2.00, my friend did it too - it works with great results for scratches!!!!
Good luck Dan with this issue! My sister bumped into a guy once in a parking lot, a fifty dollar bill did the job for him lol if only we were always so lucky!!!
Thanks, will look into it.

As far as paying $50 in the lot, it wouldn't have worked here as it has the driver's friends car, but it seems a little risky as you may be considered admitting guilt and they can come after you for some "back injury" later on...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »
As far as paying $50 in the lot, it wouldn't have worked here as it has the driver's friends car, but it seems a little risky as you may be considered admitting guilt and they can come after you for some "back injury" later on...

Generally, not a concern.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
Your rates will prob go up. (Geico :() And possibly hers to. I am saying to suggest to her this, and tell her that in this case the insurance company's will call it a deal and neither will pay. Therefore she is better off just not bringing it to insurance.

I don't think that's correct.  AFAIK, as long as the accident would be held as 50% responsibility for each party, neither your rates nor hers would go up.  And if the damage on each side is less than the amt of the respective deductibles on each side, it obviously doesn't pay for anyone to fil a claim, nor should anyone pay the other for damage. 

That said, I do not believe it will negatively impact either one of you to actually file a claim, let the two insurance companies discuss it, and the claim will be satisfied 100% on both sides by the parties' respective deductibles --  so that from an insurance perspective, it's a non-issue/non-event.  You can easily call GEICO to confirm -- call doesn't even have to anonymous.  They may mention that premium decisions in the future rest with the underwriting group -- so that they can't answer "definitiely" -- but they usually have a good idea how to answer, and will share their thoughts.