Author Topic: Cleveland Heights board is so racist  (Read 1851 times)

Offline akivacp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Cleveland Heights board is so racist
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/cleveland_heights_orthodox_jew.html
They're now trying to find legit excuses to seem as if they're not. Like all goyim. SMH

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio -- More than 200 politely angry Orthodox Jews overwhelmed the Cleveland Heights City Council meeting Tuesday night to ask why the school board is not allowing them to buy the Severance-Millikin School, which has been vacant since 2006.

A similar-size group attended the Cleveland Heights-University Heights school board meeting earlier in the night. They were not permitted to address the board.

The group of residents, who live near the school, has submitted a bid on the building, which is behind Severance Town Center shopping center.

Tensions are high among Orthodox Jews because the school board is reluctant to sell them the school despite the bid, Steve Rokowsky told the council.

"This is frustrating to the Orthodox community," said Rokowsky, who lives near the school. "We're a tightly knit, financially stable community and we want to know: what did we do wrong?"

Rokowsky said his group needs Severance-Millikin School and its 11 acres because the Mosdos Ohr Hatorah school for boys on Warrensville Center Road is no longer big enough for its number of students.

In a written statement, Cleveland Heights-University Heights Superintendent Douglas Heuer said four bids were received in 2006 for the school, which was appraised at $2.4 million. The highest bid was $500,000. All were rejected.

The school board attempted to lease the building in 2009 and again last year, but there were no offers. The board has again considered leasing, and Mosdos Ohr Hatorah recently made an unsolicited bid of $550,000.

Heuer also said the board is encouraged by its success at leasing the former Coventry Elementary School and hopes something similar could happen with Severance-Millikin.

But Rabbi Shraga Weimer said leasing Severance-Millikin to a business in an area zoned residential will change the complexion of the neighborhood.

City Council was sympathetic to the residents' plight. Vice Mayor Dennis Wilcox and Councilwoman Bonita Caplan said they would urge the school board to listen and carefully consider Mosdos Ohr Hatorah's offer.

Cleveland Heights Mayor Edward Kelley said council members must take a neutral position.

"What happens to Severance-Millikin School is really in the hands of the school board," Kelley said. "All I can say -- despite the fact I'm not a real estate expert -- is the assessment of $2.4 million on the property back in 2006 is not accurate today. Real estate prices have dropped all over the country."

Rokowsky said if it acquires the school, the Orthodox Jewish community intends to spend $1.5 million to $2 million on renovations.

Severance-Millikin could be leased, used by the board if schools need to be consolidated or be sold for a reasonable price, said schools spokeswoman Angee Shaker in a phone interview.

"Our board is open to fair offers," she said, "but we're not willing to give it away."

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Cleveland Heights board is so racist
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
Why build and sink millions in a dying neighborhood anyway?  I understand that much of their target market still lives down there, but I'd be shocked if anyone is left in 15-20 years from now.  East Cleveland situation repeating itself.

Anyway the entire Severance area is about to collapse once Wal Mart moves down the block to South Euclid/Oakwood.  They'll be trying to give away that area soon enough...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
Why build and sink millions in a dying neighborhood anyway?  I understand that much of their target market still lives down there, but I'd be shocked if anyone is left in 15-20 years from now.  East Cleveland situation repeating itself.

Anyway the entire Severance area is about to collapse once Wal Mart moves down the block to South Euclid/Oakwood.  They'll be trying to give away that area soon enough...

how much would a new appraisal on a $2.4 mil property be these days? perhaps that's why they are low balling with $550K

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
$550K isn't a low-ball in that dying neighborhood and dying mall area, it's more than generous.
Frankly though I wouldn't let my wife go there alone at night, that's for sure, so I don't know why they want to buy and renovate there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
$550K isn't a low-ball in that dying neighborhood and dying mall area, it's more than generous.
Frankly though I wouldn't let my wife go there alone at night, that's for sure, so I don't know why they want to buy and renovate there.

nor would it be a good idea in many parts of LA...from their perspective...a cheap property is a cheap property

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:35:22 AM »
Any news on this story after the supposed long term lease deal - happening soon?