Author Topic: IRA's and taxes  (Read 2603 times)

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
IRA's and taxes
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
As a couple with three kids filing jointly with only my income on the books, last yr I made about the perfect amt for maximum earned income credit and child rebates. this yr I made another 15,000 which is costing me about $6000 in rebates and credits!! I know that this is the way taxes work and the more you make the more you pay, but Im sure the pool of yiddishe kups can come up with some ideas to get around this!!
someone suggested to open an IRA for me and for my husband and that money will then be a tax deductible, and when I purchase my first house I will be able to withdraw it all. Anyone know more about this? would this bring my income down to help me get back my earned income credit and all? what would happen when I withdraw early - will I have to return the rebate money then and also pay taxes?
Any other legal ideas?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: IRA's and taxes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »
As a couple with three kids filing jointly with only my income on the books, last yr I made about the perfect amt for maximum earned income credit and child rebates. this yr I made another 15,000 which is costing me about $6000 in rebates and credits!! I know that this is the way taxes work and the more you make the more you pay, but Im sure the pool of yiddishe kups can come up with some ideas to get around this!!
someone suggested to open an IRA for me and for my husband and that money will then be a tax deductible, and when I purchase my first house I will be able to withdraw it all. Anyone know more about this? would this bring my income down to help me get back my earned income credit and all? what would happen when I withdraw early - will I have to return the rebate money then and also pay taxes?
Any other legal ideas?
maybe go see an accountant who can look at all your financial details and give you professional advice
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: IRA's and taxes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
maybe go see an accountant who can look at all your financial details and give you professional advice
+1, you should really get professional advice on this...

I can't pretend to know too much about this, but this is how I understand it. Assuming you and your husband are under 50 years old, then you can each contribute $5,000 to an IRA which if you are married filling joint would reduce your AGI by $10,000. Being as only your income is on the books, then you would contribute $5,000 to a personal IRA and $5,000 to a Spousal IRA for your husband (you can only contribute to an IRA up to the amount that you have as earned income). If you take a distribution before the age of 59 1/2, the taxable portion of the distribution will be penalized by 10% (in your case the whole amount) on top of the regular taxes you would owe. You are be able to take a distribution of up to a maximum of $10,000 per lifetime per person as a "First-Time Home Buyer" and you would not be penalized with the 10% penalty for distributions before the age of 59 1/2 but you would obviously have to pay taxes on the money that year as you took a deduction when you contributed originally.

Now AFAIK non of this actually helps you in this case because the EIC limit is on both Earned Income and AGI...

Can't think of any way to actually lower "Earned Income", but then again I am a programmer not an accountant ;)

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
thanx for the help it seems ur right!! I guess thats why theres so many ppl who dont want to earn money - they can get it for free!!!

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »
thanx for the help it seems ur right!! I guess thats why theres so many ppl who dont want to earn money - they can get it for free!!!
Yup, unfortunately a lot of people have that attitude. But I believe the system is to blame.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
+1, you should really get professional advice on this...

I can't pretend to know too much about this, but this is how I understand it. Assuming you and your husband are under 50 years old, then you can each contribute $5,000 to an IRA which if you are married filling joint would reduce your AGI by $10,000. Being as only your income is on the books, then you would contribute $5,000 to a personal IRA and $5,000 to a Spousal IRA for your husband (you can only contribute to an IRA up to the amount that you have as earned income). If you take a distribution before the age of 59 1/2, the taxable portion of the distribution will be penalized by 10% (in your case the whole amount) on top of the regular taxes you would owe. You are be able to take a distribution of up to a maximum of $10,000 per lifetime per person as a "First-Time Home Buyer" and you would not be penalized with the 10% penalty for distributions before the age of 59 1/2 but you would obviously have to pay taxes on the money that year as you took a deduction when you contributed originally.

Now AFAIK non of this actually helps you in this case because the EIC limit is on both Earned Income and AGI...

Can't think of any way to actually lower "Earned Income", but then again I am a programmer not an accountant ;)
+1

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
+1
Sweet, I guess I actually made sense if I got a +1 from a CPA :)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Sweet, I guess I actually made sense if I got a +1 from a CPA :)
.25 of a CPA, so it's really a +1/4
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
.25 of a CPA, so it's really a +1/4
Well, the one that I took was the one that covers tax, so on tax I can issue a +1!

I'm 3/4 of a C   :)

working on my P & A.

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
Yup, unfortunately a lot of people have that attitude. But I believe the system is to blame.

100% to blame I know so many ppl that are stuck bec they get too many benefits to be able to afford working but they do need more money! Its really not worth getting into that hole!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »
Does anyone know anything about lowering unearned income, which has pretty low limits for the Earned Income tax credit, using a K1 Form to give my kid a portion of an investment? I know from an accountant that this is possible and wanted to hear ppl's thoughts.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »
Does anyone know if in regard to loans, F/R, and other things they look at your income or adjusted gross income on my Tax return.