Author Topic: Cancelling credit cards  (Read 2589 times)

Offline bands

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Cancelling credit cards
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
In general when cancelling credit cards to avoid the annual fee, is it best to transfer the line of credit to another existing card?  Does that do anything to help my credit score?

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Cancelling credit cards
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
Yes of course its always better to transfer CL. Please search before starting a new topic.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline jimmy1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
i applied for   the AmEX PREMIER REWARDS & GOLD BIZ back in may 2011,  and the CITI AADVANTAGE AMEX & CITI AADVANTAGE VISA. in july 2011

all those cards offer huge sign up bonuses and came with first year fee free but  in coming months, annual fee will come.

I don't have a biz and i rarely ever fly so these cards are not useful for me to keep.

Should call the amex and citi retention now and  threaten to cancel or actually cancel them  so i can get approved for future amex and citi cards?

i dont want to keep them and then be that an obstacle in getting aproved for  another amex or citi  cards.

thanks

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »
i applied for   the AmEX PREMIER REWARDS & GOLD BIZ back in may 2011,  and the CITI AADVANTAGE AMEX & CITI AADVANTAGE VISA. in july 2011

all those cards offer huge sign up bonuses and came with first year fee free but  in coming months, annual fee will come.

I don't have a biz and i rarely ever fly so these cards are not useful for me to keep.

Should call the amex and citi retention now and  threaten to cancel or actually cancel them  so i can get approved for future amex and citi cards?

i dont want to keep them and then be that an obstacle in getting aproved for  another amex or citi  cards.

thanks

I don't think it'll be an obstacle. Besides, you can always offer to close them later on if they say you have too much credit.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
When cancelling citi cards, does it pay to ask them to move over the credit line? When applying in the future , it may be hard to get instantly approved with a high credit line

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »
Yes of course its always better to transfer CL. Please search before starting a new topic.
Actually it is not always better to transfer your CL before cancelling. I prime example is Citi cards. You will hit a wall with the max credit they will give you. It is getting extremely hard to have them move a CL on recon. Also they are taking a firm stance on not moving CL around for a new card for at least a month and sometimes longer.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:07:35 AM »
Does it make a difference for the credit score?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:39 AM »
Does it make a difference for the credit score?
It depends on the individuals credit file. For me it would make no or little difference one way or the other.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
It depends on the individuals credit file. For me it would make no or little difference one way or the other.
There are some who argue that closing cc accounts would lower the credit score but IME it didn't budge