Author Topic: Jewish HS team's appeal turned down  (Read 14943 times)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish HS team's appeal turned down
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
thanks! wow! what chutzpah..... or rather antisemitism at its best
i just deleted my post because i realized the end of that article is bashing religion so i was going to find a better article but u get the point

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
WOW very cool! these kids have to feel so much pressure on them now, with all the national attention they have been getting. Sure hope they can pull off a win. Will the game be televised now? I would love to watch it...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
WOW very cool! these kids have to feel so much pressure on them now, with all the national attention they have been getting. Sure hope they can pull off a win. Will the game be televised now? I would love to watch it...

now that it's not on shabbos you can ;)
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
the ironic part is that (while i dont hope for this) they will probably be lose now

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
the ironic part is that (while i dont hope for this) they will probably be lose now
Typical Jewish pessimism...  :-\

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
Wow.  I wonder on what grounds though they sued and received the restraining order if they had been told of the problem beforehand?

1st amendment.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
1st amendment.
Since when does 1st amendment apply to a private businesses rules?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
not jewish pessimism but a lot of ynicism

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
not jewish pessimism but a lot of cynicism 
FTFY

Well I think they will win. And it'll be a huge kidush hashem if the go all the way...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Since when does 1st amendment apply to a private businesses rules?

Since never.

The facilities in which the finals will take place are run by the Mansfield Independent School District, a government body for the purposes of the 1st amendment.

They also sued under a Texas state stature protecting religious liberties and breach of contract.

FTFY

Well I think they will win. And it'll be a huge kidush hashem if the go all the way...

That you're going to have to explain to me...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:05:59 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
Since never.

The facilities in which the finals will take place are run by the Mansfield Independent School District, a government body for the purposes of the 1st amendment.

They also sued under a Texas state stature protecting religious liberties and breach of contract.
The first part I understand, but what was the breach of contract?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
The first part I understand, but what was the breach of contract?

Apparently, according to TAPPS own rules, playoff game days and times are allowed to be adjusted by mutual agreement of the opposing teams.

As we know, the opposing team in this case offered to reschedule.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »
That you're going to have to explain to me...
I believe* anything that makes goyim/non-religious Jews have respect for Orthodox Judaism and their accomplishments is a kidush Hashem. Just my feelings, not interested in getting into details...

*All statements expressed herein are simply opinions, anecdotes, or preferences.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »
Apparently, according to TAPPS own rules, playoff game days and times are allowed to be adjusted by mutual agreement of the opposing teams.

As we know, the opposing team in this case offered to reschedule.
Gotcha, I wonder why that never made it to any of the news stories?  Seems like the most critical part.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
Gotcha, I wonder why that never made it to any of the news stories?  Seems like the most critical part.

I wonder the same thing...

For those who are interested, Nat Lewin (who many may know from the Rubashkin appeal) helped with the lawsuit.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »
I believe* anything that makes goyim/non-religious Jews have respect for Orthodox Judaism and their accomplishments is a kidush Hashem. Just my feelings, not interested in getting into details...

Ha, you think the goyim are going to respect our basketball prowess because Beren Academy (ranked 615th in TX and 7495th nationally) wins the Texas High School Class 2A state championship? Let's think back to the last time we were highlighted on the national stage for our basketball prowess... Yep, people now know us as being warriors on the court...

*All statements expressed herein are simply opinions, anecdotes, or preferences.

:P

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
Since never.

Apparently, TAPPS also falls under the purview of the 1st amendment being "the major state governing body overseeing secular and faith-based private-school sports and activities in the state."

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
Ha, you think the goyim are going to respect our basketball prowess because Beren Academy (ranked 615th in TX and 7495th nationally) wins the Texas High School Class 2A state championship?
Yes I do. That was easy. :P (Respect doesn't mean your #1)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
What did TAPPS' director Edd Burleson mean or imply when he said, 'unlike many people':

"Unlike many people, TAPPS does follow the law, and we will comply," Burleson said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "We're trying to make those arrangements at this time. As soon as those arrangements can be made, we'll post those on our website."

Was he trying to hint that Beren didn't follow the law?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
What did TAPPS' director Edd Burleson mean or imply when he said, 'unlike many people':

"Unlike many people, TAPPS does follow the law, and we will comply," Burleson said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "We're trying to make those arrangements at this time. As soon as those arrangements can be made, we'll post those on our website."

Was he trying to hint that Beren didn't follow the law?

I, too, found that perplexing. Given the context, it seems unnecessary to the point that it sticks out like a sore thumb.