Author Topic: AA screwed up my flight times - what are my options?  (Read 1574 times)

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
AA screwed up my flight times - what are my options?
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
I booked two one-way first class  tickets on AA about two months ago using 25k AA miles per ticket. There were no saver awards available, so first was the same price as coach.

Here's the itinerary:
6/10/12
EWR 6:00a > ORD 7:30a
ORD 8:20a > SLC 10:40a

I was checking my AA account this morning, and lo and behold American had changed all the flight times. Problem is, I have to be in SLC as early in the day as possible, and the new itinerary just won't work.

EWR 10:10a > ORD 11:35a
ORD 12:40p > SLC 2:55p

So what are my options now? There an AA flight going through DFW that would work out fine, but there are no FC awards available, only anytime coach at 25k each. Not that first would be so amazing, but I should at least get what I originally bought.

Is there any chance that they'll let me cancel altogether and refund my points? I found a Continental/United flight this morning for $248 with better timing - definitely a better value than blowing 50k miles on AA.

And finally, what's this business of changing flight times so radically and not bothering to let the passengers know? If I hadn't logged in to check something else, I would've found out in the airport. I've never had anything like this with any other carrier.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: AA screwed up my flight times - what are my options?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
I booked two one-way first class  tickets on AA about two months ago using 25k AA miles per ticket. There were no saver awards available, so first was the same price as coach.

Here's the itinerary:
6/10/12
EWR 6:00a > ORD 7:30a
ORD 8:20a > SLC 10:40a

I was checking my AA account this morning, and lo and behold American had changed all the flight times. Problem is, I have to be in SLC as early in the day as possible, and the new itinerary just won't work.

EWR 10:10a > ORD 11:35a
ORD 12:40p > SLC 2:55p

So what are my options now? There an AA flight going through DFW that would work out fine, but there are no FC awards available, only anytime coach at 25k each. Not that first would be so amazing, but I should at least get what I originally bought.

Is there any chance that they'll let me cancel altogether and refund my points? I found a Continental/United flight this morning for $248 with better timing - definitely a better value than blowing 50k miles on AA.

And finally, what's this business of changing flight times so radically and not bothering to let the passengers know? If I hadn't logged in to check something else, I would've found out in the airport. I've never had anything like this with any other carrier.

Call AA. If they did change the times you should be able to cancel.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: AA screwed up my flight times - what are my options?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
except that he booked as two separate tickets they prob wont let him cancel both

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
except that he booked as two separate tickets they prob wont let him cancel both

The two tickets were for two people on the same flight. The return flights are on JetBlue.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
so yea u should be able to cancel them

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
I just got off the phone with American. They canceled the ticket without any issues - they were actually very nice about it and kept on apologizing. The miles posted back into my account instantly, too.

I ended up booking the Continental flight, which is actually better for me since it leaves two hours earlier than the original flight.