Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
smart brit
Tova
@Yehuda
Yehoshua
« Last edited by Dan on August 04, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Author Topic: Gibraltar Master Thread  (Read 53206 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Gibraltar Master Thread
« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2023, 01:41:09 AM »

Landing in GIB at 10:50am. Candlelighting is 6pm.

What will we have time to do?
Where should we eat lunch?
Which shuls are not to miss?

Climbing around the rock is fun, there's a good British-style fish and chips place, and the shuls you can do on shabbos. They're nice, but not Great-Synagogue-of-Rome-nice. At least when I was there, the community generally only davens in one or two of the shuls at a time, switching which ones they daven in each week. You can walk from the restaurant to the tram to go up the Rock, it's not too far. Where are you staying for Shabbos?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2023, 01:45:31 AM »

Climbing around the rock is fun, there's a good British-style fish and chips place, and the shuls you can do on shabbos. They're nice, but not Great-Synagogue-of-Rome-nice. At least when I was there, the community generally only davens in one or two of the shuls at a time, switching which ones they daven in each week. You can walk from the restaurant to the tram to go up the Rock, it's not too far. Where are you staying for Shabbos?
Seems like the Eliott makes the most sense?
But I could be talked into the Sunborn.

Dolphin trip worth doing? Could we even do that and the rock activities on Friday?

Is there just one restaurant? Google implies several more, but surprisingly hard to find current info on the community.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »

Dolphin trip worth doing? Could we even do that and the rock activities on Friday?

Is there just one restaurant? Google implies several more, but surprisingly hard to find current info on the community.
Was there a few months back middle of the week. There is a milky place under the hashgacha of rabbi hasid iirc, the meaty place i was told isn't so reliable, there was another milky place but it was closed/or under renovations.
I only davened in the main ship weekday tefillos.
People of the community were very nice and welcoming.
I went on the dolphin boat and didn't see any of them, my friends went twice and also didn't get to see, they told us AFTERWARDS that they haven't come up much over the last week.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2023, 11:28:07 AM »

The Elliott was very centrally located and less than a 10 minute walk from our hosts and from shuls and the restaurant we ate at. As far as the hotel goes, it was a solid 3* place: nothing very fancy but not falling apart. I don't know if they've been renovated in the last 10 years, so take that review with a grain of salt. The Sunborn is a little further out, but it's supposed to be nice.

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »
is there any place i can buy shabbes food ? is it a good place to go for just a weekend ?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2024, 03:47:40 PM »
is there any place i can buy shabbes food ? is it a good place to go for just a weekend ?
It's a small territory, most likely you'll only go for 1 full day. I know they have a restaurant, I don't know if they make Shabbos food for takeout.