Author Topic: Model Mom Calls Her Religion a Cult  (Read 50077 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Model Mom Calls Her Religion a Cult
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
I just find it very sad. This is not a single story, and not only two. Very sad that these things go on continuously in our backyard and we can do nothing to help (sometimes).
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
Can she honestly claim that the entire lakewood and boro park is married off with no say in the matter...what a blatant lies.

it's a good thing no one told my parents about this  :D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
I may have missed it, but what sect did she and her boyfriend belong to?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
I may have missed it, but what sect did she and her boyfriend belong to?
Satmar. Funny how the accent lives on

here her boyfriend says she just showing them there are other options, not making them eat non-kosher or 'showing them there's an outside world'. What a loser... Surprising she can't get a better boyfriend.

She now resides in Lakewood. Really?
http://www.saveperryskids.com/ - she seems to be interested in maintaining a (somewhat) orthodox life and education for her kids.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:49:10 PM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
I just find it very sad. This is not a single story, and not only two. Very sad that these things go on continuously in our backyard and we can do nothing to help (sometimes).
The problem is these are not isolated incidents. A basic Google search will show too many to read. Wasn’t it a Hasidic newspaper from Brooklyn that erased Hilary Clinton from a White House photo? Even if these women are not telling the complete truth ignoring the underlying problem will not make it go away.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
Wasn’t it a Hasidic newspaper from Brooklyn that erased Hilary Clinton from a White House photo?
what does that have to do with anything? (and what was the problem with erasing her?)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
what does that have to do with anything? (and what was the problem with erasing her?)
The way women are treated and their place in the community. 

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
that's the way they treat other women, yet their wives are usually treated ok

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »

Going back all the way to the times of Abraham and Sarah we see it says "Behold, she is in the tent" teaching us the idea of a womans modesty. I think that a lot of the ways women are treated make the line fuzzy between modesty and them being "lower" per se. I think this is where we see problems coming from such as men not treating their wives with the utmost respect but it was NOT what is intended by Jewish law at all.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »
I am not hasidic. But I know many of them. And you have no right saying they don't treat women well. Why don't we go on a tour of Williamburg or Monroe And ask the women if they are happy in their marriages. You will find the happiest women who don't feel the need to flaunt their bodies to the rest of the world and are happy in their community. 

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »
On a side note there is an old joke that goes something like this:

A man is walking down the street when he passes his neighbor Mrs. So and So taking a walk.  He keeps walking and runs into Mr. So and So. He says "Hey I just saw your wife walking a few minutes ago."  Mr. So and So replies "Yeah, we're taking a walk together."

They tell this joke about Ger chassidim and it's based on many Gerrers who walk exactly like this with their wives down the street.  A fellow from Eretz Yisroel who is a Gerrer recently told me his Rebbe told him that he shouldn't do this anymore because of a lot of problems there have been in the community lately with woman not feeling treated with respect and love and seeking it from outside places.

I do believe that a lot of the ways women are treated in Judaism can make it easy for them to feel belittled and can make it easy for men to get the idea that they are in some way "greater" than their wives (which is obviously not the case. )

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I am not hasidic. But I know many of them. And you have no right saying they don't treat women well. Why don't we go on a tour of Williamburg or Monroe And ask the women if they are happy in their marriages. You will find the happiest women who don't feel the need to flaunt their bodies to the rest of the world and are happy in their community.

I didn't say they don't treat women well. I said " a lot of the ways women are treated".

For example: Women having to sit in the back of the bus. Or the practice of a lot of Chassidish men travling to be with their Rebbes for differing Yomim Tovim.
Or just the fact that there can't be any women pictures in the Hamodia.

None of these things are bad per se but could lead women to feeling less than great.
Of course there are happy women in happy marriages out there.

Offline Cashman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
I didn't say they don't treat women well. I said " a lot of the ways women are treated".

For example: Women having to sit in the back of the bus. Or the practice of a lot of Chassidish men travling to be with their Rebbes for differing Yomim Tovim.
Or just the fact that there can't be any women pictures in the Hamodia.

None of these things are bad per se but could lead women to feeling less than great.
On the contrary. I will go point by point.

Women in back of bus: Most women enjoy it. They can talk freely with other women without having men in between them

Practice of going to Rebbe: It has been happening for hundreds of years and hasidic women expect it from their husbands to go.

And women being in newspapers: That was a decision made by great torah leaders Such as R Shach the Steipler the Chazon Ish And the Bais Yisroel and i am not someone to argue with such leaders

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
Women in back of bus: Most women enjoy it. They can talk freely with other women without having men in between them
WOW!

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
On the contrary. I will go point by point.

Practice of going to Rebbe: It has been happening for hundreds of years and hasidic women expect it from their husbands to go.

And women being in newspapers: That was a decision made by great torah leaders Such as R Shach the Steipler the Chazon Ish And the Bais Yisroel and i am not someone to argue with such leaders

Again, no one is arguing with any of these practices. Or saying they are bad or wrong.
 I am saying these are examples of things that one could see how a woman might end up feeling 'degraded' in Jewish culture.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »
WOW!

When my wife and I are in Israel she has no problem sitting in the back of the bus when she's traveling herself on the Mehadrin buses (separate seating.) When we're together we like to SIT together.

She DOES have problems when Men ask her to sit in the last row of the bus while she's pregnant because they don't want to sit near another guy and want an empty seat.  Yes, that has happened to her.  But that is a different story.
The point is she really doesn't mind it much. It would be easier if women were in the front since they are the ones usually holding babies and kids and have to trek towards the back of the bus through the row of men trying not to bump into them while the bus is flying down the road.

Offline Cashman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
WOW!
Yes sir they think different then you. They don't enjoy mingling with men.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
Here is a solution. How about we let them sit in the front.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Model Mom Calls Her Religion a Cult
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »

And if they have the opportunity, you think they would run from it? Some would. But I think some wouldn't.
The fact that are so sheltered IMO makes it so much worse when they "escape" if everyone would be a little more open minded from The beginning I dont think just bec you went off the derech you would get a shot of being on the view or dr. Phil.
There are plenty of other people with a really messed up family situation that can use Dr. Phil's help a lot more.

The one part that really got me. Was when she said she has plenty of Rabbis on her side. But they are afraid to say anything bec they would be accused of having an affair.
That sounds like total BS. If I truly knew the whole story and I was on her side then I would have no busha saying so.
But then again remember this is just one side of the story. And only 40 minutes worth at that.

Offline Cashman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Here is a solution. How about we let them sit in the front.
You know that's a problem by them because men are not supposed to look at women for a extensive period of time. Your problem is that you think they sit in the back because they treaty women like 2nd class citizens which is a total farce.