Author Topic: Hotel Compensation Master Thread  (Read 108413 times)

Offline Joel2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE
Re: Hotel Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #690 on: August 28, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Hotel: Hyatt House in NJ
Year of incident: 2019
Status at time of incident: None
Incident: A/C broke down, no one was available to fix it. They were not able to move me to another room as they were overbooked.
Compensation: Complained at front desk, they offered me 1k points. Then upped to 2. At checkout it was 5k. (standard rate for a night is 8k). I sent email to general manager on Monday she promised to reply by Wednesday. Wednesday came and went, I tried reaching out to manager multiple times and then opened case with Hyatt Guest Services. They awarded me 8k points for manager unresponsiveness and the lengthy time this was dragging out. Finally reached manager next morning, she offered me either 8k points of refund for one night, I took refund. In total it was $210 plus 8k points.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 29, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
Hotel: W Times Square
Year of incident: 2019
Status at time of incident: Gold
Incident: I booked 2 nights at this hotel with the first night being same day as booking, was scheduled to arrive well past midnight. At about 10:30 pm  I received a call from the hotel that there was a glitch in their system and I should not have been able to book for that night as they were at full capacity. So they were cancelling that night for a full refund.
Compensation:  They profusely apologized and gave me 30k points.
Postscript: For various technical reasons it actually worked out better for me to stay that night in Brooklyn so it really was for the best that I was able to get a full no penalty refund which otherwise would not have been an option.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »
Im trying to figure out if and how i should ask for compensation. i stayed in a residence in by marriott in albany for four nights on points. On my request we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. But when we got there, the beds were not made and we had to call the front desk to have it made. But the bigger issue was that they gave us a broken pack-n-play (even the hotel staff couldn't open it) and they only found another one (my baby was going crazy because it was way past her bedtime) once I bought a new one from walmart and asked them to reimburse me. the rest of the stay was very pleasant.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
Im trying to figure out if and how i should ask for compensation. i stayed in a residence in by marriott in albany for four nights on points. On my request we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. But when we got there, the beds were not made and we had to call the front desk to have it made. But the bigger issue was that they gave us a broken pack-n-play (even the hotel staff couldn't open it) and they only found another one (my baby was going crazy because it was way past her bedtime) once I bought a new one from walmart and asked them to reimburse me. the rest of the stay was very pleasant.

Yes I would call or email and state exactly what happened and politely ask for some sort of compensation.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 30, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
Yes I would call or email and state exactly what happened and politely ask for some sort of compensation.
Thank you. I emailed them and they added 5,000 points to my account.  Should i be satisfied with that or haggle for more? (the cost per night was 12.5K points)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:10:08 PM by yungermanchik »

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 01, 2019, 01:54:11 AM »
Thank you. I emailed them and they added 5,000 points to my account.  Should i be satisfied with that or haggle for more? (the cost per night was 12.5K points)

Did they also pay you back for the pack n play you had purchased? If they did I wouldn't push it. If not I would politely suggest that you feel at least 10k is in order in light of the fact that you had to purchase a crib with your own money because their's was damaged and also the beds were unmade which was very unappealing when entering the room for the first time.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 01, 2019, 10:22:52 AM »
Did they also pay you back for the pack n play you had purchased? If they did I wouldn't push it. If not I would politely suggest that you feel at least 10k is in order in light of the fact that you had to purchase a crib with your own money because their's was damaged and also the beds were unmade which was very unappealing when entering the room for the first time.
no, once i brought the new pack n play to the desk, the receptionist went to the storage room and found another one. he told me to return the new one to walmart the next day, which i did.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 01, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »
no, once i brought the new pack n play to the desk, the receptionist went to the storage room and found another one. he told me to return the new one to walmart the next day, which i did.

So I would try pushing for a higher compensation especially since you had to go through this hassle of buying and returning...  I don't think they will claw back the 5k already given so you have nothing to lose by asking for more.  Worst case they deny it.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 02, 2019, 07:59:01 PM »
So I would try pushing for a higher compensation especially since you had to go through this hassle of buying and returning...  I don't think they will claw back the 5k already given so you have nothing to lose by asking for more.  Worst case they deny it.
Thank You So Much!! They awarded me another 5000 points =10,000 pts total!

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:02 AM »
Stayed at a W cat. 8. Had bugs & a lizard in my room & one morning at 9:30 a worker walked into my room when we were all sleeping.

Emailed manager he offered me 20k comp. Should I push for more?

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 04, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Stayed at a W cat. 8. Had bugs & a lizard in my room & one morning at 9:30 a worker walked into my room when we were all sleeping.

even 100k points wouldnt do it
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »

Bugs and a lizard? Full refund from my point of view.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Agree, if it was a long stay settle for a bit less.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »

i would be more concerned about a worker walking in while sleeping
was the do not disturb sign on the door ?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 04, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
i would be more concerned about a worker walking in while sleeping
was the do not disturb sign on the door ?

Do not disturb was on.

Agree, if it was a long stay settle for a bit less.

Was a 6 night stay. Tropical climate with outdoor shower connected to the bathroom & doors to a pool outside.

I emailed the manager again saying he can do a lot better based on what I paid. Letís see what happens.