Author Topic: Hotel Compensation Master Thread  (Read 205322 times)

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
Hotel: HR Aruba
Year of incident: 2012
Status at time of incident: Diamond
Incident: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/24955
Compensation: 88K Points.
wow

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
Dear God
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »

Wow, u got a nice free stay right there.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
Need a tip about how to complain w/ hotels.
When I complain at checkout, do I ask to speak with manager? If he simply apologizes, do I request 'more' than that? I've already tweeted HH about the issue (crib missing a slat, infant fell partially out, they had n/t else and "that's probably why this one was given to you", fixed it up).

Offline DrDanny

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
Who do you complain to
My TV didn't fully work at the Park Hyatt DC (I had to watch Monday night football in the bar) and all I was able to get was free nights at that hotel they told me I can have 2 free nights at the Park Hyatt DC or 10K points (I used inspire certificates maybe that was the problem)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »
2 free nights sounds very generous for just a TV problem.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
2 free nights sounds very generous for just a TV problem.
I had 2 rooms for 2 nights (I paid a lot for one of them was diamond and was told they can't do anything for me about Kosher breakfast and the power went out one night I had to walk up and down 6 flights of stairs)
 I didn't write that all in my original post because when I complained (over the phone) about all my problems they downplayed those saying the power had to do with the city not them and they can't help if the Hotel can't offer Kosher breakfast
So for the rest of the conversation I minimized the rest of my complaints and mainly stressed the fact that the technician came twice and told me it was fixed both times when in reality it wasn't.
Don't worry I'm not such a chazzer  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:40:59 PM by DrDanny »

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
Need a tip about how to complain w/ hotels.
When I complain at checkout, do I ask to speak with manager? If he simply apologizes, do I request 'more' than that? I've already tweeted HH about the issue (crib missing a slat, infant fell partially out, they had n/t else and "that's probably why this one was given to you", fixed it up).

10k HH points.
Worth following up, or just leave as-is?

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
Currently at Hyatt Regency Century Plaza on Diamond.  Called food and beverage, who at first told me she is very familiar with kosher and will have no problem ordering me breakfast in lieu of the club as the Diamond amenity.  F&B called back telling me since they have the Regency club and my rate does not include breakfast, they can not order me a kosher breakfast on credit... and now (literally as I am typing this) my wife tells me the drain to the shower is broken, ON THE PENTHOUSE FLOOR!!

What is the best route for maximizing compensation?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
You're not owed compensation on the breakfast count.

Also, to the extent you haven't given the hotel notice of your defective drain and give them a chance to fix it (or move you), you're also not owed compensation.

...which is not to say you won't get.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mochada

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
You're not owed compensation on the breakfast count.

Also, to the extent you haven't given the hotel notice of your defective drain and give them a chance to fix it (or move you), you're also not owed compensation.

...which is not to say you won't get.

If you read back a few pages, people got comped for no kosher brekkie.

Been waiting 30 min for repair...we shall see when they will come.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Like I said, it doesn't mean you won't get. I just don't think per the T&Cs you're entitled to kosher breakfast.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mochada

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
Agreed....but it's been done- so question asked  :P

Offline mochada

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
Hotel: HR Century Plaza
Incident:Broken shower, mold on ceiling of bathroom, suite confirmed by Diamond line using an upgrade to find out upon arrival all the suites were contracted out due to a sporting event but they were not in use until the 5th night of our stay (which we would have been more than happy with to move out to a regular room for one night) and therefore had a regular room, infant's crib kept on being removed by housekeeping and took over an hour each time to get a new one delivered to the room (after multiple phone calls to housekeeping/front desk and being told each time it will be up in 5 minutes).
Compensation: Off the bat, the hotel manager offered half my nightly rate (approx $400 for the stay) or 20K GP points (although 45K GP Points is half of the points required for the stay for 5 nights in a category 5).  I mentioned the 45K points calculation and was told the maximum she can do through the hotel is 30K GP points. I am still waiting for the Goldpassport@Hyatt to respond, maybe they will kick in a few more points to make it worth it!

Hotel: Le Meridien San Francisco
Status at time of incident: Gold
Incident: Broken drain for the bathtub (engineer came, hit the drain with his screw driver and told me the drain is broken and I will have to use my hands to open and close it LOL), bathtub wasn't clean upon arrival, rude front desk receptionist
Compensation: $200 refund (cost of stay) or 12K  SPG points.  Chose the 12K SPG points.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
10k HH points.
Worth following up, or just leave as-is?
20k HH after I contacted them.

Offline mochada

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
Hotel: HR Century Plaza
Incident:Broken shower, mold on ceiling of bathroom, suite confirmed by Diamond line using an upgrade to find out upon arrival all the suites were contracted out due to a sporting event but they were not in use until the 5th night of our stay (which we would have been more than happy with to move out to a regular room for one night) and therefore had a regular room, infant's crib kept on being removed by housekeeping and took over an hour each time to get a new one delivered to the room (after multiple phone calls to housekeeping/front desk and being told each time it will be up in 5 minutes).
Compensation: Off the bat, the hotel manager offered half my nightly rate (approx $400 for the stay) or 20K GP points (although 45K GP Points is half of the points required for the stay for 5 nights in a category 5).  I mentioned the 45K points calculation and was told the maximum she can do through the hotel is 30K GP points. I am still waiting for the Goldpassport@Hyatt to respond, maybe they will kick in a few more points to make it worth it!

Hotel: Le Meridien San Francisco
Status at time of incident: Gold
Incident: Broken drain for the bathtub (engineer came, hit the drain with his screw driver and told me the drain is broken and I will have to use my hands to open and close it LOL), bathtub wasn't clean upon arrival, rude front desk receptionist
Compensation: $200 refund (cost of stay) or 12K  SPG points.  Chose the 12K SPG points.

Hyatt Goldpassport emailed that on top of the 30K offered by the hotel, they are giving me an additional 22K.  In total I received 55K GP Points for the incidents at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Sheraton Philadelphia North
The manager sent me an email requesting feedback from my recent stay. I wrote
"
Mr. Williams,
Thank you for looking to improve the experience at your hotel. I was happy with the courteousness of the staff, but there was an issue with the room. The fan for the  heating system in my room, was especially loud. There was no option to adjust the strength of the fan, thereby making it somewhat difficult falling asleep. I know some people find a constant noise, like a fan helpful in falling asleep; but for myself that is not the case. I don't know if all the rooms have the same issue, but I think it's something worth investigating.
Regards,
thingywingy"

He responded with 2000 points! ;D
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
If the safe in my room wasn't working and we repeatedly called the front desk and were told someone would come soon to fix it, yet no one ever came. Spent the whole stay nervous about my valuables.
What do you think I can ask for?
Thanks.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »
Park Plaza Tel Aviv
Half of the bottom of our baby's crib fell out, she slid down, and her head go stuck btw the wooden bars and the mattress. This obviously kept e/o up for a while.
The first cs rep in the morning said there was nothing she could do besides apologize, and that the gm wasn't in. Later in the day, my m-i-l said it was unacceptable, and they finally didn't charge her for the room, which was $220 (which would have gained me 17k points). She also made my m-i-l sign a legal waiver that she waived all legal rights!!

I wasn't there w/ them, but I called up Carlson, explained what happened, and we'll see where this goes from here.

Thoughts? The waiver thing was very weird.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Park Plaza Tel Aviv
Half of the bottom of our baby's crib fell out, she slid down, and her head go stuck btw the wooden bars and the mattress. This obviously kept e/o up for a while.
The first cs rep in the morning said there was nothing she could do besides apologize, and that the gm wasn't in. Later in the day, my m-i-l said it was unacceptable, and they finally didn't charge her for the room, which was $220. She also made my m-i-l sign a legal waiver that she waived all legal rights!!

I wasn't there w/ them, but I called up Carlson, explained what happened, and we'll see where this goes from here.

Thoughts? The waiver thing was very weird.

Oh wow.

I hope they repay you well.
"Not all who wander are lost"