Topic Wiki

Do your jury duty.

Manhattan Criminal Court:
The boring introductory speech takes about 45 minutes, and should begin relatively on time. Therefore, coming 45 minutes late is no big deal.

If you have a deferment, don't waster your time at the criminal court. Go straight to 60 Centre Street room 139. The line can get busy, so try to come at a good time.
« Last edited by henche on March 06, 2018, 01:04:34 AM »

Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 80797 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: jury Duty
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »
care to elaborate?

They asked if I'd have bias in such-and-such case (they gave a scenario), so I told a true story about why I'd be biased. The story was true, but I'm not sure it'd make me as biased as I made it sound, if at all.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
They asked if I'd have bias in such-and-such case (they gave a scenario), so I told a true story about why I'd be biased. The story was true, but I'm not sure it'd make me as biased as I made it sound, if at all.
oh thought u meant a way to always get out. didnt realize you were talking about a specific time

Offline isrealsuits

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
the op asked  how to get out of jury duty not  IF he should go or not as others responded that cant prove you received it without  certified mail

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
the op asked  how to get out of jury duty not  IF he should go or not as others responded that cant prove you received it without  certified mail

Read again:
Does any one have experience with jury duty in NY, i am summoned to go later this month and i am out of town in yeshiva. does know what are my options, could i schedule it for a later specific date? could i boycott??
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Does any one have experience with jury duty in NY, i am summoned to go later this month and i am out of town in yeshiva. does know what are my options, could i schedule it for a later specific date? could i boycott??

Can't boycott -- you'll be found in contempt of court if you try that (assuming you show up and tell them you boycott).

Although as others have posted, until they serve your jury summons in person or by certified mail, they have no way to prove you were actually summoned.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:15 AM »
I just completed my Jury duty. I was very lucky not to be chosen as a grand jurar, as that would mean an automatic two weeks of duty. From what I understood, there isn't even a chanceof being dissmised in the process of voir dire in a Grand Jury, as  we don't actually sentence anyone, rather just decide if a case should go to trial or be dismissed (perhaps AJK or someone else with law knowledge can confirm if that is true).

@ Reb Jo, if you're not living at that address, much more so if you're living out of state, I think you can ignore the summons.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
I just completed my Jury duty. I was very lucky not to be chosen as a grand jurar, as that would mean an automatic two weeks of duty. From what I understood, there isn't even a chanceof being dissmised in the process of voir dire in a Grand Jury, as  we don't actually sentence anyone, rather just decide if a case should go to trial or be dismissed (perhaps AJK or someone else with law knowledge can confirm if that is true).

True, a GJ will decide whether to indict. But, as New York State chief judge Sol Wachtler said, "a grand jury would 'indict a ham sandwich'...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
True, a GJ will decide whether to indict. But, as New York State chief judge Sol Wachtler said, "a grand jury would 'indict a ham sandwich'...
Thanks for confirming.
Why would a grand Jury indict so easily? wouldn't they then be obligated to sit on that trial = more time on Jury duty? Or would there be another jury presiding over the trial?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »
Thanks for confirming.
Why would a grand Jury indict so easily? wouldn't they then be obligated to sit on that trial = more time on Jury duty? Or would there be another jury presiding over the trial?
different jury grand jurys are just to indict

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
Thanks for confirming.

GJs are just to indict, they review many cases and each GJ is for two weeks. I don't think there's the same rules as a regular jury (regarding guilt beyond reasonable doubt). AJK could help me with the technical terminology, but they evaluate if the suspicion/evidence warrants a trial.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
GJs are just to indict, they review many cases and each GJ is for two weeks. I don't think there's the same rules as a regular jury (regarding guilt beyond reasonable doubt). AJK could help me with the technical terminology, but they evaluate if the suspicion/evidence warrants a trial.
Gotcha.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »

+1

Definitely a different set of rules (no opposing counsel, no objections, etc), and burden of proof is simply "probable cause," a much less stringent burden, hence the "ham sandwich" comment.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Solomon

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
I have got in the last half year 2 questioners by mail to apply for jury duty but i ignored it,
Yesterday i got a letter stating that since i ignored the previous letters, i have to come down personally to downtown bklyn to fill out the questioner
Within 10 days of the letter, or i can get fined or imprisonment,
Anybody here with previous experience on this ?

Offline MisterHock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »
I have got in the last half year 2 questioners by mail to apply for jury duty but i ignored it,
Yesterday i got a letter stating that since i ignored the previous letters, i have to come down personally to downtown bklyn to fill out the questioner
Within 10 days of the letter, or i can get fined or imprisonment,
Anybody here with previous experience on this ?

Yes, all they make you do is fill in the questioner in person and then you leave and wait for your real summons :)

Offline Solomon

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
Yes, all they make you do is fill in the questioner in person and then you leave and wait for your real summons :)
but do i really have to go down now or i can just ignore it?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
I love jury duty!
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Got a clue

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »
My brothers Rebbi is out of teaching for the next month bec he got stuck on a case..  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
10 years since I registered to vote and no jury duty yet.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
I love jury duty!
Which part? Losing a day of paid work?  Wasting one (or more) of your sick days?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
10 years since I registered to vote and no jury duty yet.
My sister isn't a registered voter and recently got called.  Go figure.