Author Topic: continental upgrades  (Read 11797 times)

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
continental upgrades
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »
How likely am I too get an upgrade on continental if I have silver status?
I know I am not entitled to it but would they upgrade my wife as well if I'm the only one silver?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: continental upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
Depends on the route, day of the week, and time.
I've only gotten companion upgrades when coach was full and they needed to op-up someone.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
 If you are flying on a Routing where CO uses a plane with BF (Busines First) seating then no free ups even if you are a Plat, that is for an Intl flight or Hawaii.

If  you have a 777 from IAH-EWR then its free UPs between those 2 cities only, but most likely youd have a better chance on a 737 as most people who will be flying Intl out of EWR will want to score that BF seat themselves

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
it is a domestic flight - I paid an extra $100 a ticket to fly continental hoping for an upgrade - probably a stupid move.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
it is a domestic flight - I paid an extra $100 a ticket to fly continental hoping for an upgrade - probably a stupid move.
What/when's the flight?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »

You said it not Me

Ive been Plat with CO for many yrs, ever since TW bit the dust. I never paid 1 cent more for a higher fare as a gamble that I would get the UP, nor have I ever purchased a higher fare for an Intl tkt hoping that the UP with Miles will clear(although some Rourtings have a good chance just cant see paying an extra $1000 and playing COs game and my luck the UP doesnt clear).

If I cant get it confirmed at the time of purchase,I wont play COs game and end up most likely paying more $$ to sit in the exact same Coach seat I could have for less $$

Offline MOSES

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
I have a gold status with CO. I got it on a status match.
I am not to familiar with continental.
How often will i get a free upgrade. will they upgrade a companion ever, if so when? obviously YMMV... i just want to get a gist of what goes on from other ppl's experience.
thanks!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:47 PM »
I have a gold status with CO. I got it on a status match.
I am not to familiar with continental.
How often will i get a free upgrade. will they upgrade a companion ever, if so when? obviously YMMV... i just want to get a gist of what goes on from other ppl's experience.
thanks!

Gold means 3 days before your Flight (time wise not day wise, so a flight say this Thurs at 9pm its now 6pm wont be Upgradeable yet as its 3 days and 3 hrs till Flight time) you May be Upgraded. In fact that hardly ever happens anymore but at times still does happen.

Most Upgrading is done the day of the Flight and more and more within a couple of hrs to the flight time. Reason, simple CO hopes to still sell that FC seat if not at an FC fare then at least as a Full fare Coach that they will Upgrade at time of purchase. alot more Battlefields are being done as well. Thats when no one is Upgraded and yet there are some empty FC seats so the GA (gate agent) will come on the plane and over the PA call out some names and tell those people to come forward with there belongings

How often will you get it all depends from where you are flying and to where you are, as well as which day of the week and time of day. Needles to say those flights that are connecting from or to an Intl flight will have the worst chance of getting the UP as those people who purchased a Biz seat for the Intl flight will get the FC seat 1st

That said comes mid Q2 it will get worse as UAs GSs and 1ks will be on the line ahead of You

chance for getting a companion Upgraded is harder then you getting it

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »
From all airlines I flew, CO is the worst for UG, since they price their FC reasonably, not like others. So, unless you learn loads on this route and plan well in advance, I think your chances are very low. Recently, on Thursday afternoon LGA-CLE flight, I've seen 54 (!) people (total like 118 on the flight) on UG list and only 8 seat in F, of which 6 were sold. Better buy lottery and pay your way to F  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:14:13 PM by al613 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
From all airlines I flew, CO is the worth for UG, since they price their FC reasonably, not like others. So, unless you learn loads on this route and plan well in advance, I think your chances are very low. Recently, on Thursday afternoon LGA-CLE flight, I've seen 54 (!) people (total like 118 on the flight) on UG list and only 8 seat in F, of which 6 were sold. Better buy lottery and pay your way to F  ;D
It all depends on the day/time/route.

I've been upgraded CLE-LGA a few times as a Silver, but usually I go Airtran where I'm always upgraded and the internet is free.

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
I have never missed upgrade on FL yet. Seems much easier, then most.

Offline MOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
guys! thanks so much for you help!!

I have never missed upgrade on FL yet. Seems much easier, then most.
whats FL?
Gold means 3 days before your Flight (time wise not day wise, so a flight say this Thurs at 9pm its now 6pm wont be Upgradeable yet as its 3 days and 3 hrs till Flight time) you May be Upgraded. In fact that hardly ever happens anymore but at times still does happen.

Most Upgrading is done the day of the Flight and more and more within a couple of hrs to the flight time. Reason, simple CO hopes to still sell that FC seat if not at an FC fare then at least as a Full fare Coach that they will Upgrade at time of purchase. alot more Battlefields are being done as well. Thats when no one is Upgraded and yet there are some empty FC seats so the GA (gate agent) will come on the plane and over the PA call out some names and tell those people to come forward with there belongings

How often will you get it all depends from where you are flying and to where you are, as well as which day of the week and time of day. Needles to say those flights that are connecting from or to an Intl flight will have the worst chance of getting the UP as those people who purchased a Biz seat for the Intl flight will get the FC seat 1st

That said comes mid Q2 it will get worse as UAs GSs and 1ks will be on the line ahead of You

chance for getting a companion Upgraded is harder then you getting it
what about on international flights. If they have room will they upgrade me?
thanx!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »
guys! thanks so much for you help!!

whats FL?what about on international flights. If they have room will they upgrade me?
thanx!
FL=Airtran
It all depends if the flight has BusinessFirst service.  If it's BusinessFirst you won't get upgraded for free.
If it's first class or international business you can get upgraded for free.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
FL=Airtran
It all depends if the flight has BusinessFirst service.  If it's BusinessFirst you won't get upgraded for free.

Or To Hawaii from EWR or IAH no freebes, from LAX or SNA yes if there are any since its on a 737

To Europe or Asia or India or Israel not at al its BF

To Mexico, Central Am , Northern South Am yes since its not BF, to Brazil or Argentina nope its BF

Offline MOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
FL=Airtran
It all depends if the flight has BusinessFirst service.  If it's BusinessFirst you won't get upgraded for free.

Whats the easiest way into business first? Mileage?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Whats the easiest way into business first? Mileage?

$$$ paying for it outright

otherwise its a gamble and depends where you are flying to , when you are flying (period of time) and what day and hour as well, and it costs Miles as well as a copay that depends on the fare basis of the tkt you Purchased

usually you wont be Confirmed at time of Purchase , so they will waitlist you. Then they will take those on a higher fare basis, so a Y,B or M will get it before someone on an ElCheapo.

The Gamble is you can pay alot more for tkt and be unlucky and the UP doesnt clear so now you just paid a heck of alot more $$$ for the exact Coach seat you will occupy when you could have purchased the ElCheapo instead and sat in that same seat

I NEVER paid a higher fare and got stuck in Coach, Luck not at all Smarts I dont play COs game , if its not confirmable at time of Purchase I go with the ElCheapo. Now an ElCheapo can also be UPed  but the copay is more $$. Ive flown around the world seating in Coach and Im over 6', sure Biz would be nice but only if I can get it w/o braking the Bank and gambling by paying alot more $$

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »
Whats the easiest way into business first?
Book a BF mileage ticket.

Offline MOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »
$$$ paying for it outright

otherwise its a gamble and depends where you are flying to , when you are flying (period of time) and what day and hour as well, and it costs Miles as well as a copay that depends on the fare basis of the tkt you Purchased

usually you wont be Confirmed at time of Purchase , so they will waitlist you. Then they will take those on a higher fare basis, so a Y,B or M will get it before someone on an ElCheapo.

The Gamble is you can pay alot more for tkt and be unlucky and the UP doesnt clear so now you just paid a heck of alot more $$$ for the exact Coach seat you will occupy when you could have purchased the ElCheapo instead and sat in that same seat

I NEVER paid a higher fare and got stuck in Coach, Luck not at all Smarts I dont play COs game , if its not confirmable at time of Purchase I go with the ElCheapo. Now an ElCheapo can also be UPed  but the copay is more $$. Ive flown around the world seating in Coach and Im over 6', sure Biz would be nice but only if I can get it w/o braking the Bank and gambling by paying alot more $$
also over 6'! they should have special rules for us ;)

Offline MOSES

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »
Book a BF mileage ticket.
Now honestly Dan,
IS it worth the extra miles? (now that you are married and are not a bochur anymore, I want to hear what you think? the truth!)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »
Now honestly Dan,
IS it worth the extra miles? (now that you are married and are not a bochur anymore, I want to hear what you think? the truth!)

Im not Dan ....

But Id say if my choice is say 75k in Coach or 115k in Biz its worth teh extra 40k. Now in the past month I just did a 3 day trip to Rome and a 4 day to London both in Coach @ 40k each on AA. Biz would have been 100k, IMO it wasnt worth the extra 60k per trip. Now in Peak season its 60k then London Id still do in Coach its the same as flying NY-LA, Rome which is 10 hrs is worth the extra 40k for Biz

the biggest place where its worth it is Asia & Australia although Ive done Bejing and Sydney in Coach and survived very well. But generally once you go beyond a 12hr flight youd want the comforts Biz gives you.