Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

United MileagePlus Explorer Guide to Benefits

Matching is not guaranteed anymore YMMV

Personal Card
Public offer in the Bank is 50K+5K                            Sign up for the 30+5K offer. You can get matched to the higher offer by sending a secure message after you are approved to be matched to the 55K + $50 offer that you say your colleague received.

If its your:
First time: After you sign for the 30k + 5k for adding an AU offer, you can SM Chase to match you to the 55k + $50 offer.
2nd+: Sign up with a new Frequent Flyer # (FFN), and SM AFTER receiving the first 30k. Make sure to create the new FFN with United BEFORE submitting the Application to Chase, or they'll default to your previous number, even if you leave the field blank.

Make sure to add an AU to receive the final 5k, for a total of 55k +$50.

Business Card
On the business card, you can get matched to 50k.
Follow the same process as the personal card.
Note: There is no 5k bonus for adding an AU to the biz card, so when you SM, make sure to ask to be matched to the 50k offer, not a 55k offer which doesn't exist for this card.

It could take up to a week to get a response from the Secure Message Center

Here is a link within your United account, which some DDFers have reported to received a 50k offer for the Explorer card, and the annual fee waived for the Club Card.

If u have a UMPE card and NO status, then you can do upgrades from a coach pts booking to bus/1st pts booking for just incremental pt + taxes, no fees. If you don't have the card they said they'd charge the all-dreaded rebooking fee of $100/person (always the chance to get it waived).
« Last edited by Aerial Dag on July 02, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Explorer Card  (Read 1444392 times)

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: United MileagePlus Explorer Card
« Reply #5680 on: July 21, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
The personal explorer card gives 40k points for a $2k spend and the business explorer card gives 60k for a $3k spend. The other benefits seem equal. Both have the fee waived for the first year. Assuming you can get to the $3k spend, is there any reason to get the personal over the business?
Yes, if you like your application to get approved  :)

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: July 21, 2020, 09:36:22 PM »
There are different offers all the time.
The current offer is $0 intro AF.

Previously, the offer was 75000 (even 100k) miles but the AF was not waived.
Just realized that as I was looking closer at the offer pages themselves.
I was putting the older DDMS post details together with the current offer details :)
Thanks for the answers!

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: July 29, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »
is it accurate that a united explorer card holder gets free bag for himself and one companion but free carry ons for entire party even on basic economy? thats what rep told me but i just want to make sure
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Samb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
is it accurate that a united explorer card holder gets free bag for himself and one companion but free carry ons for entire party even on basic economy? thats what rep told me but i just want to make sure
does not mention that in the terms https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/chasebag.html

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: July 29, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
yes, this is accurate

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/help/faq/basic-economy.html#:~:text=Yes%2C%20if%20you%20are%20a,full%2Dsized%20carry%2Don%20bag

"Which qualifying MileagePlus credit cards allow the cardmember to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board?

if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board"

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: July 29, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
yes, this is accurate

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/help/faq/basic-economy.html#:~:text=Yes%2C%20if%20you%20are%20a,full%2Dsized%20carry%2Don%20bag

"Which qualifying MileagePlus credit cards allow the cardmember to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board?

if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board"

thanx. awesome perk in addition to the checked bag allowance
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Cat18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: August 14, 2020, 02:10:52 AM »
Does one have to be an active cardholder at time of flight to get free luggage or is it sufficient to just buy tickets using the explorer card and adding their mileage plus number to reservation?

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: August 14, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »
Does one have to be an active cardholder at time of flight to get free luggage or is it sufficient to just buy tickets using the explorer card and adding their mileage plus number to reservation?
active
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: August 14, 2020, 09:26:43 AM »
Now with the $14 OW's, I've added myself on numerous friends and family tickets for the carry on perk. I book OW's and so far it works fine. It only make sense now with the $14 tickets otherwise it makes less sense.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: August 14, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
Now with the $14 OW's, I've added myself on numerous friends and family tickets for the carry on perk. I book OW's and so far it works fine. It only make sense now with the $14 tickets otherwise it makes less sense.
and miss the flight or cancel?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:44 AM »
Does Chase prorate the annual fee refund if cancel after 15 months (1st year was free)?

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: August 16, 2020, 06:11:51 PM »
one of the valuable benefits of the card is two free lounge passes (which can generally be used to partially offset the annual fee  ;)). Has anyone had any luck with a reduction in the annual fee due to the fact that almost all lounges are closed?

BTW I see that they extended the expiry on my last year lounge pass till March

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: August 17, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
one of the valuable benefits of the card is two free lounge passes (which can generally be used to partially offset the annual fee  ;)). Has anyone had any luck with a reduction in the annual fee due to the fact that almost all lounges are closed?

BTW I see that they extended the expiry on my last year lounge pass till March

no retention offer at all including a fee reduction or club pass exp date extension.

Offline dwkl

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA lifetime platinum
« Reply #5693 on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
has anyone had any experience with getting off the annual fee due covid-19?

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: August 21, 2020, 12:27:50 AM »
I booked tickets through UR portal using my points but I wanted to get free luggage so I paid with my United card 1 cent. Will that be enough to get my free luggage?

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #5695 on: August 21, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »
I booked tickets through UR portal using my points but I wanted to get free luggage so I paid with my United card 1 cent. Will that be enough to get my free luggage?
No https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/united/reader-question-use-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-get-united-card-benefits/ plus see this comment
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: August 21, 2020, 12:46:24 AM »
No https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/united/reader-question-use-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-get-united-card-benefits/ plus see this comment

This seems like a better solution:

Jake
I’ve booked through the chase portal and left over a few dollars and when you get your itinerary from United (the long one which is like 5 pages long with all the rules and regulations of airfare) it shows up that you get free baggage but when you get to the kiosk it always makes you pay. The united representative told me just to always show the printed out itinerary and I have always gotten free bags since. Done it more than 6 times within this past year

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: August 24, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »
Is anybody able to tell me what the mileage redemption rate is for the Club Infinite card? 
I want to apply for it now but only if I can get a reasonable redemption rate on the AF using miles.  Called Mileage Plus and they said if I don't have the card, they can't tell me the rate...

Offline jsmithj88

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: September 06, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
are you able to sign up and recieve the CC bonus to the personal and business versions of this card at the same time?
i was just approved for the personal last week.  just wondering if i can sign up for the business version as well ....

Offline Samb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: September 07, 2020, 01:00:09 PM »
are you able to sign up and recieve the CC bonus to the personal and business versions of this card at the same time?
i was just approved for the personal last week.  just wondering if i can sign up for the business version as well ....
This new Cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of this business credit card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of this business credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this business credit card within the last 24 months.