Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

United MileagePlus Explorer Guide to Benefits

Matching is not guaranteed anymore YMMV

Personal Card
Public offer in the Bank is 50K+5K                            Sign up for the 30+5K offer. You can get matched to the higher offer by sending a secure message after you are approved to be matched to the 55K + $50 offer that you say your colleague received.

If its your:
First time: After you sign for the 30k + 5k for adding an AU offer, you can SM Chase to match you to the 55k + $50 offer.
2nd+: Sign up with a new Frequent Flyer # (FFN), and SM AFTER receiving the first 30k. Make sure to create the new FFN with United BEFORE submitting the Application to Chase, or they'll default to your previous number, even if you leave the field blank.

Make sure to add an AU to receive the final 5k, for a total of 55k +$50.

Business Card
On the business card, you can get matched to 50k.
Follow the same process as the personal card.
Note: There is no 5k bonus for adding an AU to the biz card, so when you SM, make sure to ask to be matched to the 50k offer, not a 55k offer which doesn't exist for this card.

It could take up to a week to get a response from the Secure Message Center

Here is a link within your United account, which some DDFers have reported to received a 50k offer for the Explorer card, and the annual fee waived for the Club Card.

If u have a UMPE card and NO status, then you can do upgrades from a coach pts booking to bus/1st pts booking for just incremental pt + taxes, no fees. If you don't have the card they said they'd charge the all-dreaded rebooking fee of $100/person (always the chance to get it waived).
« Last edited by Aerial Dag on July 02, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Explorer Card  (Read 1444652 times)

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: United MileagePlus Explorer Card
« Reply #5720 on: February 02, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
do I get the Free Checked Bag benefit on a United flight if the ticket is purchased with a mix of Chase URs and cash paid with a United Explorer Card?

As long as you pay a few $$ cash on the united card you will get free bags.

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: March 15, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »
I cant find the answer. If you want to apply for the the united explorer card and the registered home address is in State "MP" (USA territory Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands) will they allow the application online? as i don't see State "MP" in the state List? (i know delta allows)

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: March 23, 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
Can anyone confirm if the annual club passes will still work once the associated card is cancelled. I assume it will as it’s attached to my united mileageplus account.

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: March 23, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
Can anyone confirm if the annual club passes will still work once the associated card is cancelled. I assume it will as it’s attached to my united mileageplus account.
IIRC there was discussion about this in the buying/selling thread where someone bought some and it turned out they were cancelled because the card was cancelled.

However, FWIW I cancelled a card around 3-4 weeks ago and the passes still show in my account.

Offline medster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 23, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
IIRC there was discussion about this in the buying/selling thread where someone bought some and it turned out they were cancelled because the card was cancelled.

However, FWIW I cancelled a card around 3-4 weeks ago and the passes still show in my account.
they do get canceled unless something has changed in the last couple of months

Offline fafa123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Getting free bags using UR points and United Card at United.com
« Reply #5725 on: April 12, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »
So I bought 2 United RT tickets through the Chase portal, purposely buying a cheaper flight that I didn't want one way.  I then went onto the United site and changed the flights to my desired more expensive flight and paid the difference with my United card.  Will I get free bags for me and a companion?  CSR said yes but I see a fee for my bags online.  I did not get a cancelled travel voucher as advised in this post: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/united/reader-question-use-chase-ultimate-rewards-points-get-united-card-benefits/

Do I need to cancel the ticket (which I can only do to the end of today) and get a voucher as advised above? Or will my simpler solution work?

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: June 27, 2021, 04:15:41 AM »
Booking flight fare with UA points minus .80 cents which is getting charged on my United Explorer Card, does that qualify for card benefits (ex: free baggage)?

Offline peacenlove613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: July 21, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
My work booked me on a United flight. If I purchase upgrades seats with my card would that trigger free checked bags? Any other way to get it?

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: August 01, 2021, 02:24:18 AM »
Maybe someone could help me with some advice. I got this United explorer card 11 months ago with the intention of getting the bonus (was 60k at the time, first year fee waived) and then cashing out somehow (through selling) and then downgrading or closing the card. I have now 65k points. I called up and 2 different reps confirmed with me that I can cash out my United points at a rate of 1.5 per point as a statement credit against previous charges. I would have to call up and redeem over the phone. So im thinking about cashing out and downgrading  to the United gateways… the question is maybe I should keep this card/ the points. I’ve seen from different posts that United award flights could be helpful and the United points could come in handy….but I really don’t fly that often. Married for 4 years and flew Nyc-Miami 2x. If I keep the card I pay 95$ but maybe it’s worth it for the free bags/lounges and other perks etc and ….and 2 - maybe even if i downgrade to save the annual fee is it smart to cash out the points at 1.5 each? Or save them for flying? Which honestly who knows when the next time I get on a plane would be…..sorry for the long post and thanks for the help

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: August 13, 2021, 01:33:56 AM »
Maybe someone could help me with some advice. I got this United explorer card 11 months ago with the intention of getting the bonus (was 60k at the time, first year fee waived) and then cashing out somehow (through selling) and then downgrading or closing the card. I have now 65k points. I called up and 2 different reps confirmed with me that I can cash out my United points at a rate of 1.5 per point as a statement credit against previous charges. I would have to call up and redeem over the phone. So im thinking about cashing out and downgrading  to the United gateways… the question is maybe I should keep this card/ the points. I’ve seen from different posts that United award flights could be helpful and the United points could come in handy….but I really don’t fly that often. Married for 4 years and flew Nyc-Miami 2x. If I keep the card I pay 95$ but maybe it’s worth it for the free bags/lounges and other perks etc and ….and 2 - maybe even if i downgrade to save the annual fee is it smart to cash out the points at 1.5 each? Or save them for flying? Which honestly who knows when the next time I get on a plane would be…..sorry for the long post and thanks for the help

Bump

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: August 13, 2021, 09:47:12 AM »

I think you largely answered your own question, if you don't fly that often then what good is the free checked bag benefit?

Also, I am not aware of any option to redeem United miles for statement credits, so I'm confused what you're referring to with the 1.5c comment

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: August 15, 2021, 12:02:03 AM »
I think you largely answered your own question, if you don't fly that often then what good is the free checked bag benefit?

Also, I am not aware of any option to redeem United miles for statement credits, so I'm confused what you're referring to with the 1.5c comment

Thanks

I called United and asked (2 different reps) If I can use points for a statement credit for 1.5 per point and they said yes

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: August 15, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
Thanks

I called United and asked (2 different reps) If I can use points for a statement credit for 1.5 per point and they said yes

I was curious what you were referring to so I did some googling. It looks like United is offering some sort of 1.5 cents cash out option. But the details are hard to find, based on the below screenshot I believe you can only redeem those points towards annual fees or United tickets paid in cash using your explorer credit card.

It sounds like you were misinterpreting it as a straight 1.5 cents cash out option, which would have been much better, correct?

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: August 15, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »
I was curious what you were referring to so I did some googling. It looks like United is offering some sort of 1.5 cents cash out option. But the details are hard to find, based on the below screenshot I believe you can only redeem those points towards annual fees or United tickets paid in cash using your explorer credit card.

It sounds like you were misinterpreting it as a straight 1.5 cents cash out option, which would have been much better, correct?

I asked about a statement credit in general and didn't specify for what charges, both reps I spoke to said they can do it. Could be it was a misunderstanding and they meant only a united purchase/annual fee, but I hope it means for all purchases. I will attempt to cash out in the next few days and report back. They did mention thait must be done over the phone so could be that's why you don't see that option online

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: August 15, 2021, 05:17:16 PM »
I asked about a statement credit in general and didn't specify for what charges, both reps I spoke to said they can do it. Could be it was a misunderstanding and they meant only a united purchase/annual fee, but I hope it means for all purchases. I will attempt to cash out in the next few days and report back. They did mention thait must be done over the phone so could be that's why you don't see that option online

I'd be pretty surprised if they are willing to offer 1.5 cents statement credit for any/all purchases. Please report back with the outcome once you give it a shot.

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: August 22, 2021, 12:00:40 AM »
I'd be pretty surprised if they are willing to offer 1.5 cents statement credit for any/all purchases. Please report back with the outcome once you give it a shot.

@HoKo ye you were right. I called 3 different reps and they all told me I can’t cash out for 1.5 cpp….I don’t know why the first 2 reps said what they said…I never mentioned annual fee while talking to them. Oh well it was a good try either way

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: August 22, 2021, 12:05:46 AM »
Can I book a refundable United ticket on United website, use my miles as statement credit to wipe off the charge, and then just cancel the flight and get my full refund???

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:38 AM »
@HoKo ye you were right. I called 3 different reps and they all told me I can’t cash out for 1.5 cpp….I don’t know why the first 2 reps said what they said…I never mentioned annual fee while talking to them. Oh well it was a good try either way

Thanks for reporting back

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: October 28, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
Hi. Trying to figure out if this will work. I want to use my husband's United account to book a ticket for me (as he has money in his travel bank that I want to use). Since I'm the one who has the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, I want to book the remaining fare on my explorer card, and of course I will enter my mileage number.

Will that give me a free suitcase even though it's book on my husband's account with his travel bank money?

I don't see why not, but asking if anyone knows otherwise.

TIA

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: October 31, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
Hi. Trying to figure out if this will work. I want to use my husband's United account to book a ticket for me (as he has money in his travel bank that I want to use). Since I'm the one who has the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, I want to book the remaining fare on my explorer card, and of course I will enter my mileage number.

Will that give me a free suitcase even though it's book on my husband's account with his travel bank money?

I don't see why not, but asking if anyone knows otherwise.

TIA

it worked! I booked the ticket and my reservation shows that I have a free checked bag. Only thing is that it didn't allow me to enter my Mileage plus number during the booking process. So I entered it after the ticket was purchased. And then I added that trip to my United account via "my trips" and now it shows a free bag