Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

United MileagePlus Explorer Guide to Benefits

Matching is not guaranteed anymore YMMV

Personal Card
Public offer in the Bank is 50K+5K                            Sign up for the 30+5K offer. You can get matched to the higher offer by sending a secure message after you are approved to be matched to the 55K + $50 offer that you say your colleague received.

If its your:
First time: After you sign for the 30k + 5k for adding an AU offer, you can SM Chase to match you to the 55k + $50 offer.
2nd+: Sign up with a new Frequent Flyer # (FFN), and SM AFTER receiving the first 30k. Make sure to create the new FFN with United BEFORE submitting the Application to Chase, or they'll default to your previous number, even if you leave the field blank.

Make sure to add an AU to receive the final 5k, for a total of 55k +$50.

Business Card
On the business card, you can get matched to 50k.
Follow the same process as the personal card.
Note: There is no 5k bonus for adding an AU to the biz card, so when you SM, make sure to ask to be matched to the 50k offer, not a 55k offer which doesn't exist for this card.

It could take up to a week to get a response from the Secure Message Center

Here is a link within your United account, which some DDFers have reported to received a 50k offer for the Explorer card, and the annual fee waived for the Club Card.

If u have a UMPE card and NO status, then you can do upgrades from a coach pts booking to bus/1st pts booking for just incremental pt + taxes, no fees. If you don't have the card they said they'd charge the all-dreaded rebooking fee of $100/person (always the chance to get it waived).
« Last edited by Aerial Dag on July 02, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Explorer Card  (Read 1444452 times)

Offline A European

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: United MileagePlus Explorer Card
« Reply #1060 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
You just sent in separate applications and got both cards + sign up bonus?  Does the same concept work across other cards? E.g. Citi Platinum Select VISA and Citi Gold AA visa?
NO I downgraded my UMPE card to a UMP card when the first annual fee hit my account and then applied for a UMPE card and got it

Offline deusconsilio

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 14, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
NO I downgraded my UMPE card to a UMP card when the first annual fee hit my account and then applied for a UMPE card and got it

Didn't know you could do that. 

On a separate note, I just got off the phone with Chase Sapphire Preferred and tried to get 5K points for adding an authorized signee to the account.  I told the woman I'd seen an advert for it (which, in honesty, I thought I had).

The woman responded in a tone rich with "I'm answering this call tonight, V-Day, because I'm single, overweight and hate the world" that Chase Sapphire did not offer such a bonus, and that I must be talking about the United Explorer card (which we signed up for simultaneously). 

Any tips for dealing with reps on the phone?  I get the feeling their main objective is to make sure we get as few points as possible.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Didn't know you could do that. 

On a separate note, I just got off the phone with Chase Sapphire Preferred and tried to get 5K points for adding an authorized signee to the account.  I told the woman I'd seen an advert for it (which, in honesty, I thought I had).

The woman responded in a tone rich with "I'm answering this call tonight, V-Day, because I'm single, overweight and hate the world" that Chase Sapphire did not offer such a bonus, and that I must be talking about the United Explorer card (which we signed up for simultaneously). 

Any tips for dealing with reps on the phone?  I get the feeling their main objective is to make sure we get as few points as possible.
When you get someone in a bad mood, just excuse yourself and HUCA.

Offline Mimi K.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 14, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
+1
You can usually figure out who you are dealing with in 30 seconds.
I just say OMG a client just came in, I'll call you back in a sec!  ;) Which I do!  ;D ;D
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Stuff!" 8)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1064 on: February 14, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
+1
You can usually figure out who you are dealing with in 30 seconds.
I just say OMG a client just came in, I'll call you back in a sec!  ;) Which I do!  ;D ;D

Haha
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
Yesterday I called to transfer some CL. The rep said she can after she asks me a bunch of security questions. I wasn't interested in that so I told her shed breaking up and I can't hear her so well and ill call back in a minute.
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
Yesterday I called to transfer some CL. The rep said she can after she asks me a bunch of security questions. I wasn't interested in that so I told her shed breaking up and I can't hear her so well and ill call back in a minute.
Whats the big deal to answer those questions it takes 30 seconds.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 14, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
Whats the big deal to answer those questions it takes 30 seconds.
Forgot how much annual income was on the app for that SSN. Didn't want to mess up.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 14, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
Forgot how much annual income was on the app for that SSN. Didn't want to mess up.
I have yet been confronted with conflicting income claims.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 14, 2013, 11:41:20 PM »
I have yet been confronted with conflicting income claims.

So what are they verifying when they ask that?

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
So what are they verifying when they ask that?
IME security questions don't mean income questions. It's general questions culled from your credit report like car makes and models, previous addresses. Income questions are when they discuss credit, and like I said earlier I have yet to be called out on conflicting income amounts.

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
Random question- do you get two checked bags free with united?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1072 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
Random question- do you get two checked bags free with united?

Not such a random question (for this thread), but a quick search of this thread for "luggage" will reveal the answer.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Nafster

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 16, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Question: I am trying to churn my United Explorer card. I just sent in a new application after making a new FF# with United. The application has to be reviewed. I want to call up the reconsideration line but I'm not sure what to say to them as I already have a United Explorer card which I opened with them around 8 months ago. Please advise.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Question: I am trying to churn my United Explorer card. I just sent in a new application after making a new FF# with United. The application has to be reviewed. I want to call up the reconsideration line but I'm not sure what to say to them as I already have a United Explorer card which I opened with them around 8 months ago. Please advise.
In the recent, they probably won't approve you for another UAME card while you have an active one.

Offer to close the first one and get this one approved, but prepared to HUCA a lot.

Right now I have no clue what to say about why you need to open another one, but just try to be creative.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »
Is there any reason why you need to keep the existing UA card? If not transfer CL and call recon to approve the new one.

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #1076 on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
I don't know if this has been brought up, but when I got my CO OPP (WMC) card about a year ago, it came with primary CDW. Not too long ago, I received my new United MPE card for the account and my card was "upgraded" from a WMC to WEMC and flipping through the new benefits guide, I noticed that it only has secondary CDW.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1077 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
I don't know if this has been brought up, but when I got my CO OPP (WMC) card about a year ago, it came with primary CDW. Not too long ago, I received my new United MPE card for the account and my card was "upgraded" from a WMC to WEMC and flipping through the new benefits guide, I noticed that it only has secondary CDW.
Should be primary, PUTPAC.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Nafster

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »

Hey Dan now that you are back any advice on this? How do you churn the United Explorer cc? Should I move the cl and close the card before calling recon? Or should I move the cl and call recon, ask them to close the 1st explorer and approve me for the 2nd explorer because??? This is where I get stuck. I can't think of a good excuse to open a new Explorer? I can't say that I want the sign up bonus again so what do I say? Thanks!

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1079 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »
Hey Dan now that you are back any advice on this? How do you churn the United Explorer cc? Should I move the cl and close the card before calling recon? Or should I move the cl and call recon, ask them to close the 1st explorer and approve me for the 2nd explorer because??? This is where I get stuck. I can't think of a good excuse to open a new Explorer? I can't say that I want the sign up bonus again so what do I say? Thanks!
why wouldn't u create a new acct in united close ur current explorer card, then open a new one with the new ff number you just created

No?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.