Author Topic: Baby dies due to bris  (Read 20357 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Baby dies due to bris
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
I'm assuming you read the language on the ban. According to the Rabbanim that (supposedly) signed, it was assur to read them. Not a political disagreement.

Now... if you want to say that in reality, ppl pulled the wool over their eyes to advance their own interests, and used the rabbanim towards that end, well... I can't imagine you would ever admit that the rabbanim could ever be played this way.

But choose, did they pasken it's assur, or did they say it's assur even though it's a simple 'political disagreement'? Seems to be a catch-22
call it what you want, but it doesnt come anywhere close to kefira

btw zoo rabbi is no longer orthodox. he created a new category for himself called 'post orthodox'

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
Don't know how this topic turned into Slifkin B"RY, But I can tell you his R"Y gave a haskamah on his first book, and will never give a haskamah on a sefer no matter who wrote it, since then. His R"Y holds him to be a kofer as does any frum jew who believes in torah from sinai. He holds himself to be the biggest chuchem around, claims he's going in shitas Harambam and Reb Sahmshon Refoel Hirsh, even though he claims he's from the rationalist camp and that anyone who's from the traditionalist camp is a dimwit and stupid, which i infer to mean everyone besides the Rambam and R' Hirsh. Yes, He has a question if the Ramban is a kofer. Yes he has a question if one should make a birchas hatorah on words of chazal that were refuted by science, (even though science is constantly changing and developing new theories) and even though with his bird brain he dosen't realize that there is tremendous depth and sirei torah in every word of chazal. Who does he repect? Shimon persky a.k.a. Shimon peres, who slifkin was kvelling over that he got to eat lunch with. He has no qualms whatsoever mocking gedolei torah of today and yesteryear.

I can just imagine the slifkinites or better known as the maskilim 100 years ago mocking the Gra which claims the whole milchemes gog umagog wil take a total of 12 minutes. They were probobly sarcasticly saying that everyone will come on their horses and swords stretched out and kill each other. Today it is no laughing matter, with iran building nuclear weapons it is only to easy to understand the Gra (especially in light of the pesikta).
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
Don't know how this topic turned into Slifkin

Raboisai, lets not talk about this anymore, please.  :-[ There is a lot I want to say and many of you have what to add but I think it is best we end here.

Lmaan Hashalom and let's make a Kiddush Hashem.

Shkoiach!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Raboisai, lets not talk about this anymore, please.  :-[ There is a lot I want to say and many of you have what to add but I think it is best we end here.

Lmaan Hashalom and let's make a Kiddush Hashem.

Shkoiach!

+1

Offline dwkl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA lifetime platinum
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
this happened back in september of 2011 but the news only heard about it recently
at a meeting of mohelim over chanuka this issue was discussed and was agreed all mohelim should gargle listerine which would kill all bactires or any oral herpes infection they may be carrying   

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
this happened back in september of 2011 but the news only heard about it recently
at a meeting of mohelim over chanuka this issue was discussed and was agreed all mohelim should gargle listerine which would kill all bactires or any oral herpes infection they may be carrying

Do the Listerine breath strips/tabs work? (now with a Chof K Hechsher again)

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Do the Listerine breath strips/tabs work? (now with a Chof K Hechsher again)

No...just make your breath smell fresh...don't kill germs

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
No...just make your breath smell fresh...don't kill germs

Oh!

OT, does anyone know where I can buy them cheap? I picked up a couple triple packs in Target for a few bucks.

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
Oh!

OT, does anyone know where I can buy them cheap? I picked up a couple triple packs in Target for a few bucks.

Costco sells them.  Or use a promo code for soap.com -- they probably have them

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
...100 years ago mocking the Gra which claims the whole milchemes gog umagog wil take a total of 12 minutes. They were probobly sarcasticly saying that everyone will come on their horses and swords stretched out and kill each other. Today it is no laughing matter, with iran building nuclear weapons it is only to easy to understand the Gra (especially in light of the pesikta).

Clear to be more specific please?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Clear to be more specific please?

The Pesikta Rabosi (which can be found in the back of the Tana Divei Eliyahu) says that in the end of days, the year moshiach will arive, the nations of the world will quarrel with each other. Paras (todays Iran) will start up with Arabia (probobly today's Saudi Arabia) and arabia will go to Edom (today's west) for advice. Paras will then destroy the whole world. Then all the nations will scream and be confused. The Jewish people will also scream and be confused and they will ask, “Where shall we turn?”  Then G-D will say, “My children, do not fear the time for your redemption has arrived.”

Eerrily similar to today's current events.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:36:46 PM by u-no-me- »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
The Pesikta Rabosi (which can be found in the back of the Tana Divei Eliyahu) says that in the end of days, the year moshiach will arive, the nations of the world will quarrel with each other. Paras (todays Iran) will start up with Arabia (probobly today's Saudi Arabia) and arabia will go to Edom (today's west) for advice. Paras will then destroy the whole world. Then all the nations will scream and be confused. The Jewish people will also scream and be confused and they will ask, “Where shall we turn?”  Then G-D will say, “My children, do not fear the time for your redemption has arrived.”

I don't think todays west is Edom. Edom was Eisav, Christians are descendants of Yaakov. It might be attractive to liken todays current events to what we know about Moshiach, but don't forget R Akiva said that almost 2,000 years ago.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
I don't think todays west is Edom. Edom was Eisav, Christians are descendants of Yaakov. It might be attractive to liken todays current events to what we know about Moshiach, but don't forget R Akiva said that almost 2,000 years ago.

The culture and continuation of Edom is deffinitly "the west". The kingdom of Edom itself has been destroyed.

Where did you get that, that today's christians are descendants of Yaakov? Christians are made up of many many many goups. I beleive there is a mahrsha in chagigah or taanis (I forget) on the gemora "garmamya shel Edom" that says it's germany. The original christians went begging for followers and brought in many pagan cults, hence december 25th with it's trees etc;.

R' Akiva thought in the beginning that Bar Kochba was moshiach, but soon after realized he deffinitly was not.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

I am quite familiar with this Midrash, but I know it as Yalkut Shimoni # 499.

How interesting, in PR it reads Edom, and in YS it reads Aram.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:52:53 PM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline creditor

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Baby dies due to bris
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
I am quite familiar with this Midrash, but I know it as Yalkut Shimoni # 499.

How interesting, in PR it reads Edom, and in YS it reads Aram.
PR for pasikta rabasi. and YS for yalkut shimoney. HA HA :))
btw AsherO what page have you linked us to ? [not to mention the img there]
I'm just say'in©®

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
The culture and continuation of Edom is deffinitly "the west". The kingdom of Edom itself has been destroyed.

Where did you get that, that today's christians are descendants of Yaakov? Christians are made up of many many many goups. I beleive there is a mahrsha in chagigah or taanis (I forget) on the gemora "garmamya shel Edom" that says it's germany. The original christians went begging for followers and brought in many pagan cults, hence december 25th with it's trees etc;.

R' Akiva thought in the beginning that Bar Kochba was moshiach, but soon after realized he deffinitly was not.
doesn't the gemara say germany is Amelek?
What cultural elemnts of Edom are continued by christians?

My point was that R Akiva though Moshiach was immenint, but was mistaken. So I don't set much store by those who who are convinced we are in ikvsa demshicha
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »
btw AsherO what page have you linked us to ? [not to mention the img there]

I don't understand the question.

So I don't set much store by those who who are convinced we are in ikvsa demshicha

Most of the signs are here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:33:01 PM by AsherO »

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
Most of the signs are here.
R Akiva knew what the signs were a lot better than me or you, and he ended up being wrong. Obviously there's no proof to the contrary, but it's been looking like moshiach is about to come for 2,000 years
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:36:43 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
I don't understand the question.

prob referring to the pic in the top right of the yalkut link

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
R Akiva now what the signs were a lot better than me or you, and he ended up being wrong. Obviously there's no proof to the contrary, but it's been looking like moshiach is about to come for 2,000 years

I'm referring to the following signs:

Quote from: Mishna Sotah
בעקבות משיחא חוצפא יסגא (תִרבה), ויוקר יאמיר: הגפן תתן פריה והיין ביוקר, ומלכות תהפך למינות, ואין תוכחת, בית וועד יהיה לזנות, והגליל יחרב, והגבלן (הגולן) יישום (יהיה ריק מאדם), ואנשי הגבול יסובבו מעיר לעיר ולא יחוננו, וחכמות סופרים תסרח, ויראי חטא ימאסו, והאמת תהא נעדרת. נערים פני זקנים ילבינו, זקנים יעמדו מפני קטנים, בן מנוול אב, בת קמה באמה, כלה בחמותה, אויבי איש אנשי ביתו, פני הדור כפני הכלב, הבן אינו מתבייש מאביו

Virtually all of these signs have become true over the past 50 years. I don't know why you keep mentioning Rabbi Akivah. I'm ready for Moshiach to come NOW, and you should be too (or at least revise your Shmone Esrei accordingly).