Author Topic: Baby dies due to bris  (Read 20355 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Baby dies due to bris
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
I'm referring to the following signs:

Virtually all of these signs have become true over the past 50 years. I don't know why you keep mentioning Rabbi Akivah. I'm ready for Moshiach to come NOW, and you should be too (or at least revise your Shmone Esrei accordingly).
I never said Moshiach won't come, nor that I don't want him to come. I just want to say that there were signs that it is imminent for a very long time.
Of course we want Moshicah to come right now, but that doesn't mean he will, unfortunately.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
I never said Moshiach won't come, nor that I don't want him to come. I just want to say that there were signs that it is imminent for a very long time.
Of course we want Moshicah to come right now, but that doesn't mean he will, unfortunately.

1. צפית doesn't mean hoping, it means awaiting.

2. Those signs I quoted to you (from the mishna) were present throughout history?

3. Those signs I quoted to you aren't present in the past generation or two more than ever before?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »

2. Those signs I quoted to you (from the mishna) were present throughout history?

3. Those signs I quoted to you aren't present in the past generation or two more than ever before?
I mentioned R Akiva, because he assumed (based on other signs) Moshiach was coming. I'm not such a pro, but yes I think throughout history people were saying the golus can't go on for much longer and Moshiach is definitely coming soon, etc. etc.

I am not so proficient at the various signs, since I can't find my hands and legs in them. Ch"v that I doubt chazal, but how many conflicting chazal's are there about which day of the week, month he will come on?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
I mentioned R Akiva, because he assumed (based on other signs) Moshiach was coming. I'm not such a pro, but yes I think throughout history people were saying the golus can't go on for much longer and Moshiach is definitely coming soon, etc. etc.

I am not so proficient at the various signs, since I can't find my hands and legs in them. Ch"v that I doubt chazal, but how many conflicting chazal's are there about which day of the week, month he will come on?

Moshiach encomasses two of the 13 principles of faith, and is one of the si things a person is asked when they arrive in Heaven, I advise you to do some studying.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Moshiach encomasses two of the 13 principles of faith, and is one of the si things a person is asked when they arrive in Heaven, I advise you to do some studying.
Those refer to his existence, and the ability of Hashem to send him right now, not being 100% sure it will happen.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:35 AM »
Those refer to his existence, and the ability of Hashem to send him right now, not being 100% sure it will happen.

1. As I said above:

2. ואף על פי שיתמהמה, עם כל זה אחכה לו בכל יום שיבוא

3. וכל מי שאינו מאמין בו, או מי שאינו מחכה לביאתו--לא בשאר נביאים בלבד הוא כופר, אלא בתורה ובמשה רבנו

And there are many more.

You should cunsult with some Rabbis or other Hashkafic people you trust, and get some clarity on these matters.

Online Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 01:54:23 AM »

My understanding is that he didn't think Moshiach was coming, he thought that Bar Kochva was actually the mashiach. That's a step further removed from simply thinking that we may live in the messianic era.

But I'm also sensitive to the danger of too many ppl thinking that Mashiach is imminent. Think Shabbtai Tzvi for example, and the mess that ensured. None the less, I think that factually, AsherO is correct. This may be why most Rabbanim don't talk about mashiach too much, b/c of this tension.

Either way, maybe a mashiach thread should be started? (And not one related to Chabad)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
My understanding is that he didn't think Moshiach was coming, he thought that Bar Kochva was actually the mashiach. That's a step further removed from simply thinking that we may live in the messianic era.

But I'm also sensitive to the danger of too many ppl thinking that Mashiach is imminent. Think Shabbtai Tzvi for example, and the mess that ensured. None the less, I think that factually, AsherO is correct. This may be why most Rabbanim don't talk about mashiach too much, b/c of this tension.

Either way, maybe a mashiach thread should be started? (And not one related to Chabad)

I'm all for a Moshiach thread, and even more for it if it actually discusses Moshiach (and not what some chabad or non-chabad people believe). The Shabbtai Tzvi (Yms"h) situation was crazy, but I don't think it warrants dismantling the foundations/principles of our faith.

Also, for the record, ikvesa d'mshicha is not 'the messianic era', it's the period immediately before Moshiach's coming, granted the duration of this period is not defined (AFAIK). Oh, and I've been meaning to say for a while now, that the Chofetz Chaim was known for his awaiting the imminent coming of the Moshiach.

P.s. Mods, please consider forking a Moshiach thread.

Online Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 03:45:58 AM »
The Shabbtai Tzvi (Yms"h) situation was crazy, but I don't think it warrants dismantling the foundations/principles of our faith.

Of course not, but it probably contributes to why it's not a source of shmoozim and such.
I think its similar to why nach isn't studies in many places, for 2 reasons.
1) The Christians took it as their own
2) It has a lot of talk about "the end of days"

Also, for the record, ikvesa d'mshicha is not 'the messianic era', it's the period immediately before Moshiach's coming, granted the duration of this period is not defined (AFAIK).
Correct, I used a poor english translation

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 04:18:03 AM »
(or at least revise your Shmone Esrei accordingly).

Firstly, the difference between NS and NA is not if you should be "Metzapim liyeshua". Many mefarshim hold that even NS should not say the words, it was put in to have kavana at that point for "metzapim liyeshua" therefore some NS do not say the words, some have it in parenthesis.

Read the back of the 200 shekel bill for more inspiration.

OT - the other side of the bill is amazing!  :o ;D 8) I have strong feelings that most "Chiloni" ppl have not read it or do not carry it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:23:02 AM by shmuelb »
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Oh, and I've been meaning to say for a while now, that the Chofetz Chaim was known for his awaiting the imminent coming of the Moshiach.

Yes, indeed. I have read he kept a suitcase by the front door or something to that effect.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Yes, indeed. I have read he kept a suitcase by the front door or something to that effect.

That's what's said. I don't know the source so I didn't want to get into specifics, but there are numerous stories about his eagerly awaiting the Moshiach in a very real/imminent way.

Online Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
That's what's said. I don't know the source so I didn't want to get into specifics, but there are numerous stories about his eagerly awaiting the Moshiach in a very real/imminent way.

I don't know the story, but keep in mind that halacha frequently has us do certain actions in order to engender a certain emotion in us. For example, we aren't supposed to paint (or leave completely unfinished) part of the entrance way of our house to remember the churban. Unfortunately though, I'm not sure how often we truly feel the loss, despite the action.
It's possible that the C"C was trying to do the same. Perform an action in order to create a certain emotional state.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
I don't know the story, but keep in mind that halacha frequently has us do certain actions in order to engender a certain emotion in us. For example, we aren't supposed to paint (or leave completely unfinished) part of the entrance way of our house to remember the churban. Unfortunately though, I'm not sure how often we truly feel the loss, despite the action.
It's possible that the C"C was trying to do the same. Perform an action in order to create a certain emotional state.

Riiight... Because the C"C was just like you and me... ::)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Reminds me of a good story. I walked into a briskers house; he had 2 zecher lachurbans, one zecher, and one Zeichar.

Online Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
Riiight... Because the C"C was just like you and me... ::)
Color me confused.
You're right, he's not us. But that makes no difference. I'm talking about what God wants from all of us, no matter our level. Our external actions often influence our inner feelings. And this applies to all of us, from the greatest to the lowest.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
Color me confused.
You're right, he's not us. But that makes no difference. I'm talking about what God wants from all of us, no matter our level. Our external actions often influence our inner feelings. And this applies to all of us, from the greatest to the lowest.

The greatest don't need to preform actions in order to create an emotional state.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
See sefer hachinuch mitzvah ?? "ha'adam nifaal l'fee pe'ulosov"
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
The greatest don't need to preform actions in order to create an emotional state.
Kurbonos according to the chinuch?

Online Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
You mean that every gadol is perfect in every single realm. C'mon....
If God thinks that we all need it, I believe we all need it. Just to different extents.

Even in the sanitized gadol 'biographies', there are discussions about areas in which they were weaker and had to struggle in, or invest more time with.

Do you also think that the 'greatest' wouldn't benefit in any which way from musar either? After all, they're already on such a high level, that it wouldn't do anything for them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:06:04 PM by Reuven »