Author Topic: Dollar Coins from US Mint at face value with Free Shipping  (Read 121098 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Dollar Coins from US Mint at face value with Free Shipping
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »
Now that the Native American $1 coins are not available and only the Presidents are (with their limit of 2 boxes per person, for LIFE) does anyone have any workarounds for this?
I saw somewhere, (i think FrugalTravelGuy) that if you put an apartment number in the address, even with the same name, the Mint will let the orders go through, even if you ordered Presidents previously. This would be attractive for someone that lives in a private house.
Anyone have experience?
Lol...that's also what people do for rebates.
It probably would work as it's tracked by address.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »
Haven't been following the latest news-

Can someone summarize what the current limits are on all coins?

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »
Also, can you make your first purchase on a new Citi AA Card for coins- or will they reject it as some banks do because the first purchase cannot be an online order and must be swiped?

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
anyone know how to get money off an amex gift card? can u do a cash advance or bt from it?
just thinking...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
anyone know how to get money off an amex gift card? can u do a cash advance or bt from it?
just thinking...
Do you mean besides for buying coins?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »
Do you mean besides for buying coins?
:) ya - that might get a bit tedious

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2009, 08:10:05 PM »
isn't there another method (at least for non-amex cards) where you buy travelers cheques or gift cards or something like that to reach spending minimums for like $5-10/1000? anybody know of anything?
(more convenient than coins)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »
Did anyone else notice the new terms and conditions on the mint website:

"the purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CREDIT CARD REWARDS, CASH-BACK, CASH REBATE, AND SIMILAR PROGRAMS. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions."

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
Did anyone else notice the new terms and conditions on the mint website:

"the purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CREDIT CARD REWARDS, CASH-BACK, CASH REBATE, AND SIMILAR PROGRAMS. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions."

1stly The Mint has been pushing off teh next shipping date for the past few weeks it started around yesterday and is now 12/6, they cahnge it every 2 days or so. So maybe there wont be any more

If there is all you need to do is call your CC issuer and ask that they set your CA to $0 or a max of $100 taht way if theyw ant to treat it as a CA it will be declined since the amount is greater then what you are allowed. Not all CCs are willing to lower your CA, so then you need to find 1 that is willing.

Lastly I did a large charge that was sent to my CC as a reg Purchase, they in turn handled it as a CA and it was declined so I called up the Vendor and used a different CC, so far 3x and its been going thru. The charge was from a Financial Instution re: a Bank.

That said, last week I received part of my last order from the Mint and they charged my CC for what they sent (rest Back ordered) and it went thru as a Purchase FYI

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
1stly The Mint has been pushing off teh next shipping date for the past few weeks it started around yesterday and is now 12/6, they cahnge it every 2 days or so. So maybe there wont be any more

If there is all you need to do is call your CC issuer and ask that they set your CA to $0 or a max of $100 taht way if theyw ant to treat it as a CA it will be declined since the amount is greater then what you are allowed. Not all CCs are willing to lower your CA, so then you need to find 1 that is willing.

Lastly I did a large charge that was sent to my CC as a reg Purchase, they in turn handled it as a CA and it was declined so I called up the Vendor and used a different CC, so far 3x and its been going thru. The charge was from a Financial Instution re: a Bank.

That said, last week I received part of my last order from the Mint and they charged my CC for what they sent (rest Back ordered) and it went thru as a Purchase FYI

How do i know what my CA limit is? Can i see it online? Which cards were you successful/unsuccessful with?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
How do i know what my CA limit is? Can i see it online? Which cards were you successful/unsuccessful with?

I dont want to publish which CCs went thru as a Purchase , even thou I dont think this site is on their radar 1 never knows and theres always Google that can show it to them

What you can do is 1- look at the original pkg they sent you its usually on the same paper as the CC was attached to, 2- look at your statement it should show up there as well what you owe, your limit left, and your CA limit, 3- look online at your acct I think it may show it there, and 4thly- simply call up and ask what your CA limit is, and if you have 1 then ask that it be reduced to $0.

Now I was told by a couple that the CA is a % of my overall Charging Limit and they cant bring it to $0. Mostly they just dont want to do it as thats where the CCs make  ton of their $$, as the % starts to be charged the moment you get the $$ no grace period on a CA.

whats funny is the CC that the  coins went on as a Purchase was the same one that treated my other deal as a CA, was told anything coming via a Bank has to be a $$ deal and thusly we dont treat it as a Purchase even if they do. This tells me The Mint is still sending it out as a Purchase. But its up to the CC to handle as they want to. The  Mint is sending it the CC as a Purchase but they have the Right to change the way they handle it and handle it not as a Purchase but as a CA or CE. (CA= cash advance , CE = cash equivalent CA gets hit with % from get go, CE I dont know if % starts up but usually it means no pts or miles).

I hope I asnwered your questions if not I will do so when I get back from Rome on Thurs

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
interesting - when did they change the t/cs?

isn't there another method (at least for non-amex cards) where you buy travelers cheques or gift cards or something like that to reach spending minimums for like $5-10/1000? anybody know of anything?
(more convenient than coins)

i think i mentioned this in this thread...

you buy amex gift cheques and deposit them - they cost like $2.50/ 100 plus $5 shipping/order, max is $1000 in 14 days, it should come out to $30/$1000.

Its worth it to reach a spending limit and get a bonus, or if you need a cash advance, but for point not really.

Thats why i was asking if anyone knows how to get money off a gift card, those are cheaper or free i think

Offline Charles The Govenor

• View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
oh wow, this is new!

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
Ill ask Again whats wrong with the discover card y doesn't anyone do that ?

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
can you still gain credit card points by using the coin idea?
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
I've heard this idea is over, but why?
Is it because the mint is no longer issuing the coins?
Is it becuase you can no longer gain points using purchases from the us mint?
all of the above?

Is there any other way to gain CC points?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Re: can you still gain credit card points by using the coin idea?
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
I've heard this idea is over, but why?
Is it because the mint is no longer issuing the coins?
Is it becuase you can no longer gain points using purchases from the us mint?
all of the above?

Is there any other way to gain CC points?

Basically the Mint claims they have changed the way they go about sending the info to the CCs. Till now it was sent in the way any purchase was sent. So it was no different then buying milk at a supermarket.

The Mint is now saying they are going to be keying it in (sending it over) to reflect as a Cash Equivalent. Most CCs have in their T&CS that you wont earn any whatever that it is they give you when you purchase something (miles, pts, rebate%).

So the charge will go thru but in the end your total whatever will be 0. eg All you do with your AA CC is buy $10k in coins , your statement will have a balannce due of $10k but your Miles earned for that statement will be 0

the Mint is still minting teh coins and shipping them, no change there but if you arent gonna earn anything who's gonna want them. Just a steh govt still sells Savings Bonds but you cant use a CC to get them or if you can you wont be earning anything off it

Plus teh Mint put a 20 box ($5k) limit per Household, so OK you can earn a few cents by leaving it in your bank acct but too little to botehr with it.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
Mr(s) dansdealsfan,

No offense (actually, maybe a little), but you are asking questions (not the first time), that have been discussed over and over (and over) again, and want once again a private custom made explanation to you, is a bit in insult to peoples intelligence and time...

Read through whatever interests you, there will be a maximum of 7 pages, and if something isn't clear, feel free to ask; but not to expect people to give you a resume of a topic, unless you had a price in mind that you wish to pay the hour (note: not the teacher that has to feel to what extent dansdealsfan is deperate and than charge $250 the hour or so)  

PS: I didn't mean it personal, but if it helps, pretend I did.

PPS: I seem a bit aggressive lately, but that comes from the stress, nothing to worry about (its enough that I do...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:09:50 PM by SuperFlyer »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
what does dansdealsfan have to do with this thread?

Offline moe

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
what does dansdealsfan have to do with this thread?
i had the same questions, moish.

Offline mryowzajr

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
is there a reason you cant buy the half dollers on those there is a 99 limit which is like 12000 dollers?