Author Topic: Sheloshim Yom Kodem Hachag - Pesach  (Read 7389 times)

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Sheloshim Yom Kodem Hachag - Pesach
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
I was thinking it would be nice (what do you think?) if every day someone would would post a halacha in hilchos Pesach. In regards to the halacha of sheloshim yom.... the Chasam Sofer, the Pnei Yehoshua and possibly the Bach learn it's a chiyuv d'orayso. The shulchan Aruch Harav, Beis Yosef and the Levush, learn,  it's a takanah M'idrabanan, either way it's important. Maybe we can institute a rotation where every day someone else will post a halacha?
 I'll start

1. When purchasing meat for pesach, one should not say "I'm buying this meat for pesach" rather I"m buying this meat for yom tov, being that when you say it's for peasch it looks as if you are being makdish it for korban peasch.
B'dieved the meat is okay.

2. There is a minhag when doing bedikas chometz, to put 10 pieces of bread around the place of bedikah (prefferably someone else). Reason being that the brocha shouldn't be in vain, since today the houses are usualy clean before bedikah. The pieces on it's own should not be a K'zayis, But all of them together should add up to more than a K'zayis.
If after doing bedikah only 9 are found, Bedikas Chometz must be redone.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:26:25 PM by u-no-me- »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Sheloshim Yom Kodem Hachag - Pesach
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
I was thinking it would be nice (what do you think?) if every day someone would would post a halacha in hilchos Pesach. In regards to the halacha of sholshim yom.... the Chasam Sofer, the Pnei Yehoshua and possibly the Bach learn it's a chiyuv d'orayso. The shulchan Aruch Harav, Beis Yosef and the Levush, learn,  it's a takanah M'idrabanan, either way it's important. Maybe we can institute a rotation where every day someone else will post a halacha?
 I'll start

1. When purchasing meat for pesach, one should not say "I'm buying this meat for pesach" rather I"m buying this meat for yom tov, being that when you say it's for peasch it looks as if you are being makdish it for korban peasch.
B'dieved the meat is okay.

2. There is a minhag when doing bedikas chometz, to put 10 pieces of bread around the place of bedikah (prefferably someone else). Reason being that the brocha shouldn't be in vain, since today the houses are usualy clean before bedikah. The pieces on it's own should not be a K'zayis, But all of them together should add up to more than a K'zayis.

Great Idea!!!  Thank you! Now I was yotzei the Ramah in Siman 695:2 that says it is a good thing to learn torah before the seudah today :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:27:34 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
Great Idea!!!  Thank you!

Thanks. You on for tommorrow?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanks. You on for tommorrow?
Assuming I am sober by then. its a deal :)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »
Like it! Gr8 idea!!
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15:04 AM »
u-no-me- had started a great thing yesterday with a halacha that I can honestly say I and most people I told have never heard of so good on you! Here is mine for today anyone feel free to take claim for tomorrows...

This should be practical for a lot of people on here: If a person will not be at home on the eve of the fourteenth (and is within 30 days before pessach), one should appoint a representative to perform the bedika for him (MB 436-1). If no representative is available than one should perform the bedika the evening before one leaves without a bracha, even if one will not return home the entire pesach (SA 436-1, MB-3). Some are of the opinion that the bedika should be performed as one would on the eve of the fourteenth (e.g. Bread, Candle, feather, etc.)(Kinyan Torah B'halacha Vol 2-82), others are of the opinion that they are not required (Minchas Yitzchock Vol. 8-35). 

If one goes on a short trip within thirty days of pesach with intention to return before pesach, one need not perform a bedika prior to the trip (SA-1, MB-3).

IIRC it says in kitzur that the reason some people put out pieces of bread to find during bedika is so the bracha won't be in vain. But that's a misconception because the bracha is for searching not finding, so even if nothing is found the bracha is good. Nevertheless it is a minhag yisroel and al pi kabbala to put out ten pieces...

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:41:35 AM »
IIRC it says in kitzur that the reason some people put out pieces of bread to find during bedika is so the bracha won't be in vain. But that's a misconception because the bracha is for searching not finding, so even if nothing is found the bracha is good. Nevertheless it is a minhag yisroel and al pi kabbala to put out ten pieces...

Well... I wasn't so clear. True, the reason is for the bedikah, but, if you have totatly cleaned the room already and there is deffinitely no chometz left i.e. you were bodek, than there is a question of Brocho Levatoloh. Therefore we put out the pieces so it should not be levatoloh. However, If you did not clean the room fully yet i.e. there is a possobility of finding chometz, than the brocho is not in vain even if nothing is found.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
Well... I wasn't so clear. True, the reason is for the bedikah, but, if you have totatly cleaned the room already and there is deffinitely no chometz left i.e. you were bodek, than there is a question of Brocho Levatoloh. Therefore we put out the pieces so it should not be levatoloh. However, If you did not clean the room fully yet i.e. there is a possobility of finding chometz, than the brocho is not in vain even if nothing is found.

I like the idea that the Mitzvah is searching, not finding.

But what about the notion that the Bracha being made has nothing to do with searching or finding?  But rather 'Al Biur Chametz' -- wouldn't that support the notion that the bracha could be in vain if there were nothing found?

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
I like the idea that the Mitzvah is searching, not finding.

But what about the notion that the Bracha being made has nothing to do with searching or finding?  But rather 'Al Biur Chametz' -- wouldn't that support the notion that the bracha could be in vain if there were nothing found?

Actually the mitzvah of bedikah, is part of the broader mitzvah of biur. That is why we make "al Biur Chametz". Bedika itself is such an integral part of the mitzvah of biur, that there is a discussion in the poskim if one fogot to make a bracha before bedika if one may do so before sreifas chametz or not.

Since the Brocha is "biur" that is precisely why the poskim write that it is not levatolah if one did not find anything.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
Bedikah must be to "or haneir". A large fire i.e. 2 candles (or 2 wicks) may not be used, being that one may not be so careful when doing bedikah as he is afraid of causing a fire and also since one can not bring the fire close to small openings. if using a large fire, one is not even yotzei b'dieved.

If one forgot  to be bodek at night, he should do so in the morning with "or haneir" and not from the light of the sun.

In terms of "or haneir", there is a discussion if a flashlight may be used. R' moshe, Reb Elayshiv, R' Ahron hold it may be used. R' Shlomo zalman says one should only use a flashlight if one has no choice. Some Poskim (shiurim Metzuyanim) hold it is prefarrable to use a flashlight, since today we don't normally use candles under regular circumstances, one may possibly not check well if using a candle. The chut shani holds one should only use a flashlight together with a candle.

R' Yaakov Kamenetzky writes even if you are using a flashlight, it's prefferable to start the bedikah using a candle so that the brocho should be chal on the original takanah which is to use a candle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:01:04 PM by u-no-me- »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline YudiG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »
You mentioned meat for Pesach...always a good idea to check that the kosher for pesach meat counter isn't using latex gloves that are powdered as the powder is often wheat/kitniyos based and can go unnoticed unless an observant mashgiach/consumer notices....

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Chazal instituted the 4 cups of wine k'neged the 4 lishonos of geulah. One can not be motzei someone else, each must drink on their own. Everyone should have his own cup including small children.
There must be a Revi'is of wine in each cup. L'chatchila one should drink the full Revi'is, but in case of need one may drink rov. If one did not drink rov revi'is one is not yotzei.
A large cup which holds many Revi'is may be used for multiple people, as long there is a revi'is or at least rov revi'is for everyone.

The Ramban holds that the din of drinking the full revi'is or at least rov, goes on the cup therefore if one has a large cup which holds many revi'is he must at least drink rov kos. Therefore if someone is not up to drinking so much he should preferably use a smaller kos.

The 4th cup you must drink a full revi'is, so that you can make an "al hagefen".

Lchatchila one should drink the rov revi'is in one shot.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
The mishnah says: "ein maftirin achar hapesach afikomen" you shouldn't eat anything after the afikomen. That goes on till the time of eating the afikomen has passed. The time of eating the afikomen is till chatzos/midnight (which should be observed at least for the first night) but according to some shitos, including the ramba"n, its till the alos hashachar/sunrise.                    The last piece of matzah you eat is considered as afikomen.                  If, as it usually happens, you finished the hagadah, and its a few min to chatzos, and youre not ready to eat the afikomen cuz you still wanna eat the seudah, (which you can't do after afikomen) there's a grand idea in shu"t avnai nezer: take a piece of matzah and say: "if the halacha is in accordance with the shitos that the time is till chatzos, than this piece is the afikomen and my last piece of matzah before chatzos" so then, he can't eat anything till chatzos, but after chatzos he can keep on with the seudah since its no longer the time of eating the afikomen!, "and if the halacha is in accordance with the shita that the time is till the morning, than this is just plain piece of matzah" and he can keep up hith the seudah right away, since he still have plenty of time till the morning to eat the afikomen!                               And according to Briska Ruv, there's no need to "say" the t'nai, because the last piece of matzah is automatically considered as afikomen, no matter what he says. So if the hlacha is with shita #1 than THIS is his afikomen, since its the last piece of matzah before chatzos, and if the halacha is with shita #2, than this is NOT his afikomen, because he's still going to eat matzah before the alos hashachar!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:14:12 PM by meshugener »

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
The mishnah says: "ein maftirin achar hapesach afikomen" you shouldn't eat anything after the afikomen. That goes on till the time of eating the afikomen has passed. The time of eating the afikomen is till chatzos/midnight (which should be observed at least for the first night) but according to some shitos, including the ramba"n, its till the alos hashachar/sunrise.                    The last piece of matzah you eat is considered as afikomen.                  If, as it usually happens, you finished the hagadah, and its a few min to chatzos, and youre not ready to eat the afikomen cuz you still wanna eat the seudah, (which you can't do after afikomen) there's a grand idea in shu"t avnai nezer: take a piece of matzah and say: "if the halacha is in accordance with the shitos that the time is till chatzos, than this piece is the afikomen and my last piece of matzah before chatzos" so then, he can't eat anything till chatzos, but after chatzos he can keep on with the seudah since its no longer the time of eating the afikomen!, "and if the halacha is in accordance with the shita that the time is till the morning, than this is just plain piece of matzah" and he can keep up hith the seudah right away, since he still have plenty of time till the morning to eat the afikomen!                               And according to Briska Ruv, there's no need to "say" the t'nai, because the last piece of matzah is automatically considered as afikomen, no matter what he says. So if the hlacha is with shita #1 than THIS is his afikomen, since its the last piece of matzah before chatzos, and if the halacha is with shita #2, than this is NOT his afikomen, because he's still going to eat matzah before the alos hashachar!

Wow didn't know this before, very interesting. Takeh a meshugane chap. Where is this avnei nezer?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
I saw it last year, so you'll have to give me time to look around for it. If you have a Briska hagadah, you should easily find it. I probably saw it there.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
quick poll: who here shuts off the lights during bedika (I don't).

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
Both men and women are required M'dorayso to eat a Kzayis of Matzo the first night of pesach, and also the second night in chutz la'aretz M'dirabonon. All the other days of pesach one has no Chiyuv, but according to the Gra there is a mitzvah in eating matzo.
When one makes the brocho "al achilas matzo" one should also have in mind the matzo of Korach and the matzo of afikomen.
From the time one makes the Brocho "al achilas matzo" until after they eat korach one should not talk (unless it pertains specifically to the seuda) in order that the brocho of "achilas matzo" and the brocho of "achilas maror" Should also be chal on the korach. Bdieved one need not make a new brocho.
One has too eat both of the Kzaysim of achilas matzo while doing heseiba. b'dieved if one, only ate 1 of the kzaysim B'heseiba, he has fulfilled his obligation. If he did not even eat one kzayis bi'heseiba, one is not Yotzei , and he must re-eat a kzayis bi"heseiba.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:31:45 PM by u-no-me- »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
When on eats the Matzo by "motzi matzo" one should have in mind that he is fulfilling the obligation of mitzvas matzo. If one did not have kavanah, the Mechaber says b'dieved he is yotzei, but many disagree and hold he was not yotzei and he must re-eat the (2) Kzayis.

When eating Maror, one should be careful to eat a kzayis to be yotzei the mitzvah of maror. One may combine different types of marror to reach a shiur kzayis.

Some have a minhag to eat the beitzah from the seder plate by the seder for the following 3 reasons 1. zecher of the korban chagigah 2. zecher of aveilus, since the first night of peasch is also the first night of tish'a b'av 3. zecher lechurban, since we don't have the korban peasch right now.

One should not stuff himself by the meal, in order that he may fulfill the mitzvah of afikomen, for if one is so full that he has no appetite, eating the afikomen is considered achila gasah which is not halachickly called an achilah and he is not yotzei.

It is prefferable not to bring out a fancier wine during the meal in order that he should not make a "Hatov V'hameitiv", for if one makes a "Hatov V'hameitiv" it looks as if he is being "moseif al hakosos".

One may of course drink wine during the meal as long as he doesn't drink that much that he gets intoxicated.

It is brought down that it is a segulah for parnosoh to drink a 5th cup of wine by the seder. Since it is asur to be moseif al hakosos IMO it should be drunk during the meal, (although it "may" be drunk between the kosos, but that is a seperate halachik discussion).
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
The reason why we eat 2 kezeisim by moti-matza is to satisfy the opinion that you need 2 kezeisim for a kezayis deoraysa as niskatnu hashiurim. However it is sufficient that one eat two small kezeisim (thats why the kezayis of Korech is not half the size of Motzi-Matza since for that we measure using a larger Kazayis). On a similar note one does not Bentch unless they ate a kazayis of Pas, and we don't say Al Netilas Yadaim unless we will eat a Kabaitza  of Pas. However, lechatchila one should eat a large Kazayis to bentch (although one must bench even on a small kazayis since it is a deoraysa), but for netilas yadayim, a derabanan; it is enough with a smaller kabeitza which is the same size as a large Kazayis.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
Is it not because you need to eat 1 kezayis as a prusah for the bracha al achilas matzah, and 1 kezayis as a shulam for bracha of hamotzie?