Author Topic: xfares/ AirtranU is over :(  (Read 6520 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
xfares/ AirtranU is over :(
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:53:46 AM »
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but airtran no longer offers student walk up tickets. And a rep told me since they are being bought out by southwest it will prob. Never resume. As a side note I had the pleasure of finding this out at 5:30am this morning from the agent at the airport...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:36:26 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: xfares/ AirtranU is over :(
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »
:'(

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
My sympathies

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »
Stinks you had to go all the way to the airport to find that out.

Next time, you may consider checking Gooooogle first :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Stinks you had to go all the way to the airport to find that out.

Next time, you may consider checking Gooooogle first :P
If you get a coffee from Starbucks every morning, would you Google if Starbucks is serving coffee this morning before heading out at 5:30?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »
If you get a coffee from Starbucks every morning, would you Google if Starbucks is serving coffee this morning before heading out at 5:30?

Touche. I guess I  wouldn't have checked either, but this being a new year, I don't think it's non-plausible that an airline would be reevaluating its policies and programs. This is especially so when one airline is being merged into another. Lots'a things get axed, augmented, or "improved" during those tumultuous times.

In any case, it would have been nice had they sent out notice to all prior X-Fare users or A+ members (though, to be completely fair, they might have, I have no idea).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
+1 to aussiebochur I have been taking xfares for 3 years now and I didn't think to check. As far as them sending out emails. I have a corporate acct. And I never received anything. The end of the story is I tried to book a ticket with rewards that I have in my corporate acct. But their computors were conviniently down so I had to pay a full fare ticket of $196. Airtran has allways had bad customer service in my experiance. I will try to call corporate and have them change the ticket to a rewards ticket and refund my money, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but airtran no longer offers student walk up tickets. And a rep told me since they are being bought out by southwest it will prob. Never resume. As a side note I had the pleasure of finding this out at 5:30am this morning from the agent at the airport...
that really sucks! and a +1 to what u said about them having horrible CS. ive been flying with them for many years now as well and i dread almost every flight with them!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
that really sucks!

+1

Sorry you had to go through that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:15:30 AM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:09 AM »
Sorry you had to go through that.
What's the quote about?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:59 AM »
What's the quote about?

FTFY (or FTFM, however you want to look at it) :)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
i flew x-fare 5 or so times, i always called before, there is blackout dates, avalibility issues, why wouldn't u call before? (aside that you need to wait on hold for 2 hours, airtran CS!)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »
For all those wondering airtranu / x fare is back up (don't know when they started again)
And I just had a bad experience with them.
I called before I left to lga and they said there were seats available and I should come 2 hours before flight. So I left to airport and there was a few min of traffic and I got there 1 hour and 50 min before flight and they wouldn't sell me the ticket and there were at least 5-6 seats open!!

I told them to call the supervisor which called the manager and they said no! And a rule is a rule and they don't care if the plane is half empty, if ur not there 2 hours before you can't get a student fare  >:(

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
Wow. Valuable data point.

Sorry for the hassle.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
For all those wondering airtranu / x fare is back up (don't know when they started again)
And I just had a bad experience with them.
I called before I left to lga and they said there were seats available and I should come 2 hours before flight. So I left to airport and there was a few min of traffic and I got there 1 hour and 50 min before flight and they wouldn't sell me the ticket and there were at least 5-6 seats open!!

I told them to call the supervisor which called the manager and they said no! And a rule is a rule and they don't care if the plane is half empty, if ur not there 2 hours before you can't get a student fare  >:(
Well that's a very annoying addition but a great option when BA doesn't have availability. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 08:39:52 PM »
Well that's a very annoying addition but a great option when BA doesn't have availability. Thanks for the heads up!
Ya I have a BA avios booked for tomorrow eve but I figured ill try for $60 today on airtran and use the avios for a diff time but I guess ill be going avios. (Tommorow morning airtran is oversold)