Author Topic: Help with a Delta Ticket  (Read 9821 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Delta Ticket
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
How easy it is to spend other people's money, eh?

Whether its a "life-shaping experience" or not, if the head of her school indicated it would be alright for her to travel for both Pesach and the BM, and the parents relied on that permission, it is patently unfair for him to subsequently alter the "official position" if that alteration will cause the parents pecuniary loss.

If the head of the school determined those three weeks were "so important" as to now force her parents to lost hundreds of dollars, then that should have been the decision from the outset.
He definitely should have held the same position, I also am not convinced he is capable of determining this.

To clarify, what's at issue is not money - it was spent whatever the case is. The question is wether or not she will go, if it carries any financial ramifications, it's in favor of staying. The parents frustration about buying something useless, is not a financial element.

I don't think the issue is with going home for Pesach - most girls go home for Pesach, but going home for a Bar-MItzva is somewhat unusual. The principle merely decided it is ok for her to go for that if she compensates by staying for Pesach.
The only life-shaping I ever got from exactly these experiences in yeshiva w/r/t changed seder dates and missing family simchas was becoming cynical towards yeshivas and the bullies who seem to run many of them...
I 100% agree. I believe WRT has to be added to the thread.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »
I don't think the issue is with going home for Pesach - most girls go home for Pesach, but going home for a Bar-MItzva is somewhat unusual. The principle merely decided it is ok for her to go for that if she compensates by staying for Pesach.

Either I'm missing something (which is possible), or you are.

I understand his new decision/policy is that she cannot go for both. However, the tix were purchased when his old decision was in effect,  i.e. she was allowed to go for both. My point is the girl shouldn't have to "compensate" by staying for one or the other because the parents detrimentally relied on the school's prior policy (which I'm assuming was communicated in some way to the parents).

Ultimately, though, it doesn't really matter unless the school will kick her out if she goes home for both (which, again, would be ridiculous, IMHO). If not, its simply and ultimately up to only the parents and the daughter whether she comes home for both or not, accounting both for financial as well as spritual aspects.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:31:16 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HLS

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
Mazel Tov - Delta changed the ticket for just the change fee.  Many hours and lots of prayers.  Now it just should all be for good.  Thanks again for all your help, assistance and advice.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
Mazel Tov - Delta changed the ticket for just the change fee.  Many hours and lots of prayers.  Now it just should all be for good.  Thanks again for all your help, assistance and advice.
Mazal Tov
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

That's great. But I'd still still sit down and write a letter to the head of the school. Sometimes people have to be reminded of what's important in life and to think about the WHOLE picture.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
That's great. But I'd still still sit down and write a letter to the head of the school. Sometimes people have to be reminded of what's important in life and to think about the WHOLE picture.
And he should pay the change fee again?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
And he should pay the change fee again?

I didn't mean to try to convince the head of the school so that he would change his mind. He can send the letter after Pesach even. Just to maybe open his eyes.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline arig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »
hey i figured this thread is correctly named so....im a silver medallion flying on Airfrance on delta mileage from tlv-cdg-jfk next week in business(affaires)class. i know i am allowed 2 bags at 70 but on airfrance's site.it says

"Affaires
You can transport 2 baggage items weighing up to 32 kg each at no extra charge. Beyond this allowance, the weight of each extra baggage item must not exceed 23 kg.

Are you a Flying Blue Silver, Gold, Platinum, or SkyTeam Elite / Elite Plus member? You can transport one additional baggage item weighing up to 32 kg.

i translated this to mean i should get another bag each for me and my wife. However, when i called delta to confirm, the agent told me this only applies to gold, plat,and diamond and that silver would not get the xtra bags!
i looked around-seems its a hit or miss at the airport...does anyone have any advice??i would hate to get to the airport with 3 bags and be told i can only take 2!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 06:45:10 AM »
hey i figured this thread is correctly named so....im a silver medallion flying on Airfrance on delta mileage from tlv-cdg-jfk next week in business(affaires)class. i know i am allowed 2 bags at 70 but on airfrance's site.it says

"Affaires
You can transport 2 baggage items weighing up to 32 kg each at no extra charge. Beyond this allowance, the weight of each extra baggage item must not exceed 23 kg.

Are you a Flying Blue Silver, Gold, Platinum, or SkyTeam Elite / Elite Plus member? You can transport one additional baggage item weighing up to 32 kg.

i translated this to mean i should get another bag each for me and my wife. However, when i called delta to confirm, the agent told me this only applies to gold, plat,and diamond and that silver would not get the xtra bags!
i looked around-seems its a hit or miss at the airport...does anyone have any advice??i would hate to get to the airport with 3 bags and be told i can only take 2!
call af, delta won't know. Print a screen shot

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »

"Affaires

Seems agent is wrong. Shocking.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »
Seems agent is wrong. Shocking.
I also think she's wrong, but that link doesn't specify you get extra luggage beyond 2 bags, which in this case seem to be allowed without status.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
I also think she's wrong, but that link doesn't specify you get extra luggage beyond 2 bags, which in this case seem to be allowed without status.

"Extra Baggage Allowance"

That doesn't mean... extra baggage allowed? If not, what does it mean?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
"Extra Baggage Allowance"

That doesn't mean... extra baggage allowed? If not, what does it mean?
Possibly means extra luggage globally - some flights you'll get more allowance. Otherwise it would grossly contradict this:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp#medallions

Offline arig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
i dnt think delta's policy would apply to AF flights...also how do i figure out if AF works with piece or weight concept?it seems to me its piece..

Offline yo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
this is why i love the lakewood schools

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »
???

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »

Lakewood schools have better cancellation/change policies, and more flexible Pesach/Bar Mitzvah scheduling  :o

Offline arig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
well, after many putpaca's, seems i am allowed an extra bag at 70(fingers crossed)
my question now is does my wife get the same benefit by being on my reservation? acc to the agent it would only apply to me-any other opinions?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
well, after many putpaca's, seems i am allowed an extra bag at 70(fingers crossed)
my question now is does my wife get the same benefit by being on my reservation? acc to the agent it would only apply to me-any other opinions?

Should apply to all on the RSVP.