Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1160849 times)

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #2360 on: May 25, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/05/01/revealed-how-much-hilton-reimburses-hotels-when-you-book-awards/

If they're really getting reimbursed $20-30 per night I can't blame them for wanting to block points bookings!
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 25, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
If they're really getting reimbursed $20-30 per night I can't blame them for wanting to block points bookings!
Very interesting, it sounds to little.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2362 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
Waldorf are more than that, and Israel is probably higher than china.
But even if it's $75, it's low, but that's the rules they agreed to.

When occupancy is high they would get reimbursed at ADR.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
Wow! Ugh! I had no issue booking a room during this Pesach days before my stay. A real shame.

Yeah a big bummer.  If I would have known, I would have switched stuff around to go ahead and get the rooms we needed.  Hopefully they'll open back up.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
Waldorf are more than that, and Israel is probably higher than china.
But even if it's $75, it's low, but that's the rules they agreed to.

When occupancy is high they would get reimbursed at ADR.
So why would they block rewards during peak season?
It seems they lose more when occupancy is low.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2365 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
So why would they block rewards during peak season?
It seems they lose more when occupancy is low.
I've been emailing the GM and asked that very question this morning.
Perhaps their occupancy is high, but isn't high enough to trigger the ADR payment? Seems to require 90 or 95% depending on the management contract.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
Perhaps their occupancy is high, but isn't high enough to trigger the ADR payment? Seems to require 90 or 95% depending on the management contract.

Ha!!!

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 25, 2016, 11:17:24 AM »

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
Do the reward bookings count toward that threshold?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
whats the joke?

Those are the good contracts

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 25, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
Except during Sukkot, I don't see how they get close to those occupancy rates Without Redemption bookings.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 25, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
Are they allowed to do that?
it would they technically are.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 25, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Do the reward bookings count toward that threshold?
Yes.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2373 on: May 25, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
It makes no sense, and I've asked this question probably a half dozen times with no compelling answer from anyone.

Assuming occupancy of below 90-95%, the hotel doesn’t lose anything by offering rooms as their costs and then some are covered by the loyalty program. Now, assuming occupancy above 90-95%, the hotel gets reimbursed at the ADR or some such other metric, so there they also lose nothing. In fact, they gain considerably.

So what’s the motivation to play these games? Fill up enough of your hotel with awards and all of the sudden each booking is reimbursed at ADR! And even if you don’t succeed, it’s not like the hotel loses.

Put otherwise, if the hotel is operating at or near capacity, it gets reimbursed the average daily rate or some similar amount. So, in that case, they have no incentive to not offer rooms for awards.

If the hotel is NOT operating at or near capacity, they have excess rooms that will simply go vacant for the night. In that case, what’s the incentive not to offer award rooms? The variable costs?

Further, if the hotel is operating at say 60% capacity, and they release the remaining 40% inventory for awards, it’s very likely, given how popular this hotel is, that the rooms will fill up, taking the hotel passed the magical line between “basically no money” and “ADR” for all awards. (Unless it’s only ADR for those awards booked past that magical line, but even then…)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2374 on: May 25, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
It makes no sense, and I've asked this question probably a half dozen times with no compelling answer from anyone.

Assuming occupancy of below 90-95%, the hotel doesn’t lose anything by offering rooms as their costs and then some are covered by the loyalty program. Now, assuming occupancy above 90-95%, the hotel gets reimbursed at the ADR or some such other metric, so there they also lose nothing. In fact, they gain considerably.

So what’s the motivation to play these games? Fill up enough of your hotel with awards and all of the sudden each booking is reimbursed at ADR! And even if you don’t succeed, it’s not like the hotel loses.

Put otherwise, if the hotel is operating at or near capacity, it gets reimbursed the average daily rate or some similar amount. So, in that case, they have no incentive to not offer rooms for awards.

If the hotel is NOT operating at or near capacity, they have excess rooms that will simply go vacant for the night. In that case, what’s the incentive not to offer award rooms? The variable costs?

Further, if the hotel is operating at say 60% capacity, and they release the remaining 40% inventory for awards, it’s very likely, given how popular this hotel is, that the rooms will fill up, taking the hotel passed the magical line between “basically no money” and “ADR” for all awards. (Unless it’s only ADR for those awards booked past that magical line, but even then…)
well said. But who says for sure that award bookings get them to the 90 % occupancy threshold. I don't think that it should count bec Hilton can tell the hotel. These rooms would have been empty and we are filling it up for you so we only want to pay the lower rate.

Either way if they have extra rooms they benefit greatly by letting people book with points and stay at the hotel, as they do not make money only from the room. Guests will likely eat at the hotel as well.

And if they ever open the SPA they can make money off that as well even if customers are staying on points.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2375 on: May 25, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »

Does a hotel make money on $50/night? Aren't cleaning help often paid per room? And amenities. I wound't be surprised if it's a break even. And if they are a gold member the hotel probably loses money on breakfast...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Does a hotel make money on $50/night? Aren't cleaning help often paid per room? And amenities. I wound't be surprised if it's a break even. And if they are a gold member the hotel probably loses money on breakfast...
Took the words out of my mouth. Those rates don't even appear break even when including free breakfast
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 25, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »

Maybe but a lot of people spend on other things.  Especially if it's over Shabbos or Yom Tov they get all that meal revenue.  If we go for Pesach it will be almost 2k just for one Seder and a private room for the meal.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 25, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
Also if 10% of ppl decide to pay $500 instead because there's no points availability, the calculus changes. Even if 5% do this, it will impact the hotels decision

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2379 on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
Also if 10% of ppl decide to pay $500 instead because there's no points availability, the calculus changes. Even if 5% do this, it will impact the hotels decision
Great point.

There you have it AJK after 6 times of asking you have an answer.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)