Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1170858 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #2380 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »
Great point.

There you have it AJK after 6 times of asking you have an answer.
i doubt anyone who wanted to use points and couldn't would spend 500 a night. There are other better options at that price

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
i doubt anyone who wanted to use points and couldn't would spend 500 a night. There are other better options at that price
While that's certainly true for me I'm not willing to say that as a blanket statement for everyone out there
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 25, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »

I wouldn't pay that much for 2 rooms for 10 nights but since I already have the other points reservations I might bite the bullet and pay for a room for the remaining nights I need.  Especially since I figure I get 30-40% back as a rebate of points I'll earn from the hotel and paying with my HHonors cc.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 25, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »
What happens if i book the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem with the non refundable rate (revenue).

If i cancel, do i lose everything? Or do i get a voucher or something?

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 25, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
What happens if i book the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem with the non refundable rate (revenue).

If i cancel, do i lose everything? Or do i get a voucher or something?

Lose everything!!   Only do that if you are 100% sure you are coming and don't want to try to switch out for points later.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 25, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
Lose everything!!   Only do that if you are 100% sure you are coming and don't want to try to switch out for points later.
Sheeeesh

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 25, 2016, 01:14:02 PM »
Someone in the hotel industry in Jerusalem told me something that may explain a bit.
He claimed that you need a 200+ room hotel to survive in Jerusalem. As then you are able to sell rooms to groups operators to. Groups cover bills. The rest is sold to make a profit. When a hotel is to small, you cant sell to groups, and still have rooms to offer at market rates. He said that's the reason why my beloved hotel Dan Pearl Jerusalem is closed, as it only had 87 rooms.

Im not sure what this adds but i"m trying to show the complexity to make a profit in this market. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2387 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:14 PM »
He claimed that you need a 200+ room hotel to survive in Jerusalem.
Which the Waldorf has.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 25, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »
Happens all the time. A travel agent tries to get a room on points that he will then markup and there is no availability so the client just ends up paying full price.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2389 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:40 PM »
Also if 10% of ppl decide to pay $500 instead because there's no points availability, the calculus changes. Even if 5% do this, it will impact the hotels decision

Great point.

There you have it AJK after 6 times of asking you have an answer.

Nope.

If the hotel is booked to 80% at $500/night, and the hotel then opens up the floodgates on award nights, prompting bookings such that the occupancy rises to, say, 97%, that 17% boost is reimbursed at ADR, which in this case, I'm assuming is ~$500. Six of one, half dozen of the other. There is no advantage to receiving $ from guests as opposed to Hilton corporate. The hotel is only better off if the award bookings only boost occupancy to, say, 89%. However, in that case, the hotel could simply (i) increase award availability, and/or (ii) reduce revenue rates to sufficiently to cross over the magical ADR line.

What you're suggesting--that the hotel restrict awards because "someone" may fork over $500 for the night--gets them only that revenue from that number of "someones," while opening awards "for free" has the potential to bring in revenue for both revenue and awards.

Bottom line, the decision for those at the margins to fork over $500 does not move the needle.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:45:26 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2390 on: May 25, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
Nope.

If the hotel is booked to 80% at $500/night, and the hotel then opens up the floodgates on award nights, prompting bookings such that the occupancy rises to, say, 97%, that 17% boost is reimbursed at ADR, which in this case, I'm assuming is ~$500. Six of one, half dozen of the other. There is no advantage to receiving $ from guests as opposed to Hilton corporate. The hotel is only better off if the award bookings only boost occupancy to, say, 89%. However, in that case, the hotel could simply (i) increase award availability, and/or (ii) reduce revenue rates to sufficiently to cross over the magical ADR line.

What you're suggesting--that the hotel restrict awards because "someone" may fork over $500 for the night--gets them only that revenue from that number of "someones," while opening awards "for free" has the potential to bring in revenue for both revenue and awards.

Bottom line, the decision for those at the margins to fork over $500 does not move the needle.

You didn't reply to earlier points. Namely they may lose money on award nights.

And now you are making up percentages to fit your logic. All I am offering are possible explanations.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline shalumov

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 25, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
Sorry if it is beginners question ... Do you earn point on award booking?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 25, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
Sorry if it is beginners question ... Do you earn point on award booking?
no.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2393 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
no.
well you do get some if you have status

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2394 on: May 25, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
You didn't reply to earlier points. Namely they may lose money on award nights.

And now you are making up percentages to fit your logic. All I am offering are possible explanations.

I used the percentages I did at random. Use whatever numbers you want, the logic is still sound, i.e. that opening up awards raise the possibility they will cross the magical ADR-line, notwithstanding the possibility they'll lose some revenue bookings.

With respect to the possibility they lose money on award nights: 1) there is no evidence as to what the non-ADR reimbursement rate is for a Waldorf, and whether such sum would not be sufficient to cover variable costs, 2) even if it's insufficient, as has been mentioned, award guests spend $ at the hotel (room service, restaurants, upgrades, etc), 3) more importantly, they clearly would not lose money on bookings passed the magical line; in fact they'd gain considerably, and 4) each award booking that gets closer to magical ADR-line has the potential to be reimbursed at ADR.  The carrot seems to present a large enough incentive to disincentivize the (seemingly ill-advised) practice of restricting award nights, and that becomes even truer the more the ratio of the current occupancy skews towards award bookings (at the magical crossover, the hotel transforms a larger group of variable rate reimbursements to ADR-reimbursements).

Thus, even if they *do* lose $ on non-ADR reimbursements (which is at least a debateable proposition), the money is lost would pale in comparison to the potential gained by having a bulk of rooms reimbursed at ADR.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shalumov

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
well you do get some if you have status
I have diamond and booked some rooms with certificate and some with points.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
Maybe they have an issue of people reserving with points and cancelling last minute, particularly during weekends and holidays.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2397 on: May 25, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Maybe they have an issue of people reserving with points and cancelling last minute, particularly during weekends and holidays.
They can change the advanced cancel requirement.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
They can change the advanced cancel requirement.
On a reward booking?
Would they be able to impose something like a 60 day cancellation policy?
Or no refunds?

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 25, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
I have diamond and booked some rooms with certificate and some with points.
you should get a welcome bonus. It's not much but it's something