Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1161947 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #3860 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
When award availability was open for sukkos I didn't have enough points in my account and waited for a transfer to post
While calling a rep told me I could book cash + points and when the transfer posts they will be able to switch it to a points reservation, But in fact this is not correct and no one at Hilton is ready to convert the reservation for me.
If a cancel my reservation what are the chances of the room going back into inventory and booking it with points?
anything else I could do to get the reservation switched over?

I’m with everyone else, don’t do it. I also didn’t have enough points and booked one night cash (standard room) and just cancelled it because I’m not gonna need it but that standard room didn’t appear for a regular redemption. 

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 17, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
Will be pretty hard, unless he imports the staff from outside Israel.
Well said. And in my opinion it’s not the top tier staff alone. It’s even lower staff that clean your room have no respect for your belongings.
I recall stories on multiple levels of staff.

Problem is the locals who work at these hotels hate you to begin with.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 17, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »

Guess that confirms that Dan is coming for sukkos

Online shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 17, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
Guess that confirms that Dan is coming for sukkos
-1 All it confirms is that for the 5% chance he goes to Israel for Sukkos, he'll stay at the Woldorf.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3864 on: January 17, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
-1 All it confirms is that for the 5% chance he goes to Israel for Sukkos, he'll stay at the Woldorf.
1% would be being generous. But not like I'm earning interest on the points otherwise.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #3865 on: January 17, 2018, 11:48:31 AM »
Problem is the locals who work at these hotels hate you to begin with.

I don't have inside information about the expense of running a hotel in Israel, only personal experience as a guest.  I don't think the staff "hate you" per se, rather it's the fact that Israeli management is the cheapest and pettiest group of hoteliers anywhere and keeps capex to the absolute minimum required (just look at the shoddy workmanship and maintenance, even in supposed 5 star hotels... and don't even get me started about 3-4 star level).  They really do a fantastic job of bringing to life every anti-Semetic Jewish stereotype. I'm sure management pays and treats them like you know what.

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
I don't have inside information about the expense of running a hotel in Israel, only personal experience as a guest.  I don't think the staff "hate you" per se, rather it's the fact that Israeli management is the cheapest and pettiest group of hoteliers anywhere and keeps capex to the absolute minimum required (just look at the shoddy workmanship and maintenance, even in supposed 5 star hotels... and don't even get me started about 3-4 star level).  They really do a fantastic job of bringing to life every anti-Semetic Jewish stereotype. I'm sure management pays and treats them like you know what.
The staff ate some of my kids candy.... and left a bite mark in the Coca Cola Bottle Gummy. I've witnessed sitting at the restaurant and they told someone they are full when 60% of the tables were empty. they would have to wait 10 mins.   (and no there was no reservations that filled the restaurant up). I know a relative who reported returning to his room only to find the hotel staff was dropping a deuce in his bathroom. All this and more at the WA...
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #3867 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
The staff ate some of my kids candy.... and left a bite mark in the Coca Cola Bottle Gummy. I've witnessed sitting at the restaurant and they told someone they are full when 60% of the tables were empty. they would have to wait 10 mins.   (and no there was no reservations that filled the restaurant up). I know a relative who reported returning to his room only to find the hotel staff was dropping a deuce in his bathroom. All this and more at the WA...

It basically all comes down to: you get what you (or in this case, the management) pay for.

They aren't able to take pride in their job because of management's cheapness, very few lifers/career employees unlike other parts of the world.  I'm telling you, that is the bottom line and it's evident in both the hard and soft product.  There's a reason the grout in the bathrooms is always botched and the painters paint right over the light switches and door frames: that's the kind of job management was willing to pay for.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3868 on: January 17, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
1% would be being generous. But not like I'm earning interest on the points otherwise.
Reminds me of https://youtu.be/JIJnWD-1C_w?t=244
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline runnergirl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
« Reply #3869 on: January 17, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »

When did you book that? I grabbed 2 rooms on points for Sept 20-25 over this past Succos when they opened up for a 24hr period. Been looking for Sept 28-Oct 3 ever since and no dice. If you don't use the reservation I will kindly take it off your hands to complete my stay!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3870 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Lol, guess I should auction it off  ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »
Lol, guess I should auction it off  ;D

PM me. I am sure we can work something out  ;)

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »

When did you book that? I grabbed 2 rooms on points for Sept 20-25 over this past Succos when they opened up for a 24hr period. Been looking for Sept 28-Oct 3 ever since and no dice. If you don't use the reservation I will kindly take it off your hands to complete my stay!

If y’all wanna blow a million+ HHonors I would suggest instead getting a 2 or 3 BR Residence at the Conrad Koh Samui (not exactly the same but also has kosher breakfast). :P That’s what I’m doing next week! And Runnergirl looking forward to hopefully meeting you at WAJ on Sukkot...would it be the first women’s DDF DO?  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
Lol, if CUSM gives a kosher breakfast like the WAJ then I am IN.

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »

Sounds great but we am going to Israel for Succos as both of my kids are learning there next year - so that's the only place in the world I want to be!!!!!  So I would greatly appreciate working something out with you  :)

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »

Ok so your CKS kosher breakfast options are Shakshuka, generic “Israeli breakfast” (I’m assuming NOT like WAJ)  ;D or a tuna or omelet sandwhich so now that it’s out for you Dan, and she really wants the room, make her a deal!  :)

Seriously, so fun that thanks to DDF we even have all these cool options!!

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
Ok so your CKS kosher breakfast options are Shakshuka, generic “Israeli breakfast” (I’m assuming NOT like WAJ)  ;D or a tuna or omelet sandwhich so now that it’s out for you Dan, and she really wants the room, make her a deal!  :)

Seriously, so fun that thanks to DDF we even have all these cool options!!

Thanks for your support Denverite!!!!

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: January 17, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
If y’all wanna blow a million+ HHonors I would suggest instead getting a 2 or 3 BR Residence at the Conrad Koh Samui (not exactly the same but also has kosher breakfast). :P That’s what I’m doing next week! And Runnergirl looking forward to hopefully meeting you at WAJ on Sukkot...would it be the first women’s DDF DO?  ;D

Yes!  We will officially hold the first DDF Woman's DO!!!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3878 on: January 17, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
she really wants the room, make her a deal!  :)

I second that motion.

After all, there's only one place in the world to really want to be for Sukkos, and I'm sure you know where that is @Dan ;)
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: January 17, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
I second that motion.

After all, there's only one place in the world to really want to be for Sukkos, and I'm sure you know where that is @Dan ;)

Loving all of the shout outs and support I am getting from fellow DDF friends!!!!  Thanks a ton!!!