Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1151379 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #4680 on: July 18, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
please do. I am open and would love to speak to someone who actually knows
Doesn't exist. You can get clear answers for everything in the US. In Israel it's impossible to get non-political answers and it's impossible to compare standards to the US.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4681 on: July 18, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
You can get clear answers for everything in the US. In Israel it's impossible to get non-political answers

ROTFLMAO and FTFY.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: July 18, 2019, 06:31:48 PM »
Doesn't exist. You can get clear answers for everything in the US. In Israel it's impossible to get non-political answers and it's impossible to compare standards to the US.
my point exactly
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:46:52 PM by gubevo18 »

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: July 18, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
I haven't posted in a while bec I was burned badly (though it led to some tikunim) not too long ago by pm'ing very specific kashrus info but I feel the the need to post now. What I am about to say is first hand info. There are dairy items imported to EY under "mehadrin" hashgachos (some of which were mentioned above) that no self respecting American kashrus agency would accept, let alone certify. The milk is chalav akum according to many (most?) Opinions, and the cheese is gevinas akum according to any shita I know of. This doesn't apply to every imported product or every hashgacha, but go wade your way through this mess now.
Now, you may say your just some anonymous internet troll baiting other  anonymous internet trolls, you are right to be concerned. All I can say that there are quite a few people active on the forums who know me and know my credentials. (The sad part is that anyone with my credentials can state whatever they want as fact and no questions the accuracy or veracity of the statement - I've heard it from quite a few kashrus "experts" lately.)
Now I'll duck and run for cover (and look for a new profession.)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4684 on: July 18, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
I haven't posted in a while bec I was burned badly (though it led to some tikunim) not too long ago by pm'ing very specific kashrus info but I feel the the need to post now. What I am about to say is first hand info. There are dairy items imported to EY under "mehadrin" hashgachos (some of which were mentioned above) that no self respecting American kashrus agency would accept, let alone certify. The milk is chalav akum according to many (most?) Opinions, and the cheese is gevinas akum according to any shita I know of. This doesn't apply to every imported product or every hashgacha, but go wade your way through this mess now.
Now, you may say your just some anonymous internet troll baiting other  anonymous internet trolls, you are right to be concerned. All I can say that there are quite a few people active on the forums who know me and know my credentials. (The sad part is that anyone with my credentials can state whatever they want as fact and no questions the accuracy or veracity of the statement - I've heard it from quite a few kashrus "experts" lately.)

Well, if anyone thinks Israeli Kashrus is a mess, European takes it to an entirely different level.
-- Dan

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: July 18, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
I've heard the same. Exactly why I say that if avoiding the cheeses and other interesting dairy items what else is there to worry about

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: July 19, 2019, 01:16:54 AM »

Maybe to the people you ask, I have no issue. Although you seemingly ended up getting a clear enough answer for yourself.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 19, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »

The Rabanut only allows "avak chalav akum" and I'm doubtful they allow any mishugas with the cheeses.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: July 19, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »
The Rabanut only allows "avak chalav akum" and I'm doubtful they allow any mishugas with the cheeses.
no offense to you but id definitely take his opinion over yours. He's been involved in kashrus for years.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: July 19, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
no offense to you but id definitely take his opinion over yours. He's been involved in kashrus for years.
Lots of kasharus professionals have called open season on the Rabbanut and basically consider it trief. I'm skeptical of that position as nobody ever accompanies it with names of specific problematic products or establishments.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Lots of kasharus professionals have called open season on the Rabbanut and basically consider it trief. I'm skeptical of that position as nobody ever accompanies it with names of specific problematic products or establishments.
nobodys going to do that in writing. Even privately. I learned the hard way. Off the record there many who will provide facts and details. You had a chance to ask anything you wanted..... (Still do)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 20, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »
+1

They also do not allow Basher cheese in the Shuk, which are supervised by Rabbi Moshe Alloun in France.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 20, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
please do. I am open and would love to speak to someone who actually knows
I'm happy to PM you the number of a very well respected Rabbi that had this experience, and you can ask him yourself.
still waiting for you to send the PM.

This is exactly my point. Everyone talks and talks and talks but nobody backs it up.

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 20, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
still waiting for you to send the PM.

This is exactly my point. Everyone talks and talks and talks but nobody backs it up.
Sent

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: July 21, 2019, 12:47:29 AM »
Go speak to a mashgiach there and AYLOR. They only use mehadrin food.

The Mashgiach in the waldorf is very unreliable on what standard they use in the kitchen. He has been caught lying multiple times. It's hard to find a Rav in Israel that actually trusts him. The hashgacha is rabbanut so that's what you have to assume you are getting.

As for the citadel from what I hear he is reliable and will tell you exactly where and what he is serving that day.

He also has the last word as to what comes into the kitchen unlike at the waldorf....

No but will be very vague and tell u it's mehadrin (again mehadrin for who) or it's ok to eat etc. Especially if speaking English , he tried pulling that on me on more than one occasion and then I switched to Hebrew and called him out on it and he basically told me look at the people who eat here and if I have an issue then dont eat anything and walked away.

The answer to that question is a surprising yes!

I was told first hand by someone who spoke to the Mashgiach for a while regarding which products/Hechsherim he uses, and then asked to go through the kitchen where he found quite a few things the Mashgiach had mentioned a few minutes prior he would never use.

I have heard this specific story happen to more than one person. (Only one being first hand, other being second hand)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 21, 2019, 12:55:43 AM »

Everyone who comes here and argues that it is a good level of kosher, is simply looking for it to be kosher and will find anything to help themselves pull the wool over their eyes so that they could eat there. They want to clear their conscience by having someone else say its kosher.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 21, 2019, 01:31:53 AM »
We’ve got to do something about this!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 21, 2019, 01:41:26 AM »
We’ve got to do something about this!
Good luck many people here have tried there's no reasoning with the hotel/ mashgiach.

If you try calling him out these days he basically gives says look how many people trust me and eat here if you don't like it and don't trust me then don't but e/o else here doesn't seem to have a problem.

Private kashrus places offered to get involved and help but he refused saying he's the mashgiach and doesn't want other people saying so and so is the one giving his hechsher and that's why it's ok to eat there , comes back to either you trust me or you don't.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4699 on: July 21, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
Good luck many people here have tried there's no reasoning with the hotel/ mashgiach.

If you try calling him out these days he basically gives says look how many people trust me and eat here if you don't like it and don't trust me then don't but e/o else here doesn't seem to have a problem.

Private kashrus places offered to get involved and help but he refused saying he's the mashgiach and doesn't want other people saying so and so is the one giving his hechsher and that's why it's ok to eat there , comes back to either you trust me or you don't.
Seems pretty arrogant
Feelings don't care about your facts