Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 520548 times)

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #4755 on: July 30, 2019, 11:33:46 PM »
gedolim in what?
Reb Moshe and the chazon ish are no slouches in any sense of the word. I personally do not eat cholov stam but it is more of a halachic/lomdus issue than a practical kashrus issue.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:35 PM »
Reb Moshe and the chazon ish are no slouches in any sense of the word. I personally do not eat cholov stam but it is more of a halachic/lomdus issue than a practical kashrus issue.
Many (most) possible concerns that create "levels" in kashrus are based on halachic/lomdus. Obviously different shitos about bugs, traifa, and the like, are examples, but even levels of supervision, (which is sometimes a question of ascertaining yiras shomayim of an individual), is still often dependant on different opinions and extrapolations from the sugyos involved.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: July 30, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »
Many (most) possible concerns that create "levels" in kashrus are based on halachic/lomdus. Obviously different shitos about bugs, traifa, and the like, are examples, but even levels of supervision, (which is sometimes a question of ascertaining yiras shomayim of an individual), is still often dependant on different opinions and extrapolations from the sugyos involved.
There is a clear difference between "holding something is good" vs holding that you only need a certain amount of supervision to assume something is good. Im not sure how you dont see that. Honestly, Id have a hard time taking anyone seriously if they said that there was an actual chashash of cholov tamei in the cholov stam milk. That doesnt mean it would be muttar according to all shittos. But thats my point in the distinction made above.

I know those in these corners that are chabad think that Im being blasphemous here...

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »
There is a clear difference between "holding something is good" vs holding that you only need a certain amount of supervision to assume something is good. Im not sure how you dont see that. Honestly, Id have a hard time taking anyone seriously if they said that there was an actual chashash of cholov tamei in the cholov stam milk. That doesnt mean it would be muttar according to all shittos. But thats my point in the distinction made above.

I know those in these corners that are chabad think that Im being blasphemous here...
I don't think anyone holds that you don't need supervision for milk

Offline Yenta

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: July 31, 2019, 08:22:12 AM »
Does anyone know what the story with the pool is, at this hotel? Wasn't is supposed to be open YEARS ago?

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »
I don't think anyone holds that you don't need supervision for milk
incorrect. Some hold that way.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: July 31, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »
incorrect. Some hold that way.
I was not aware. Who?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: July 31, 2019, 08:46:56 AM »
Does anyone know what the story with the pool is, at this hotel? Wasn't is supposed to be open YEARS ago?
Welcome to the forums!
It is finally under construction and slated to open in November. They are also trying for Sukkos.
Purpose > Pleasure

Offline Yenta

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: July 31, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
Welcome to the forums!
It is finally under construction and slated to open in November. They are also trying for Sukkos.

Thank you for such a nice welcome!
I was warned before I joined, that people will be rude to me, as they love to "haze" new members, so I am pleasantly surprised.

The question is how likely the pool news is actually correct. Do you have first hand knowledge?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: July 31, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »
Thank you for such a nice welcome!
I was warned before I joined, that people will be rude to me, as they love to "haze" new members, so I am pleasantly surprised.

The question is how likely the pool news is actually correct. Do you have first hand knowledge?
Well, if anyone is rude, I have your back. Construction in Israel always goes overtime, so I doubt it will be open before Feb/Mar.

The hold up was that the developer Reichmann was uncomfortable with a mixed gender pool, and the management company Waldorf was uncomfortable with segregated pools. Reichmann sold the hotel to Guy Ohayoun, who has no problem with the mixed pool.
Purpose > Pleasure

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: July 31, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
I was not aware. Who?
Pri chadash, reb moshe, chazon ish just to name a couple off the top of my head. although there are more.

Of course, they all only hold that way incertain circumstances such as where there is no cholov tamei around or if there is government oversight. (both would apply today in America)

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »

Yes I have first hand knowledge of the goings on.

They have an official opening in November planned already and will do a grand opening showcasing of the pool/spa

They are doing a push to have a soft opening for sukkos but no guarantee on that.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: July 31, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »
Pri chadash, reb moshe, chazon ish just to name a couple off the top of my head. although there are more.

Of course, they all only hold that way incertain circumstances such as where there is no cholov tamei around or if there is government oversight. (both would apply today in America)
I think it's more like an umdena so is considered watched

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #4768 on: July 31, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »

The only government agency that DDF members trust (even if the agency says they don't even do that job).
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: July 31, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
The only government agency that DDF members trust (even if the agency says they don't even do that job).
I think it's more like relying on R Moshe that they can be trusted than actually personally choosing to trust them because they seem trustworthy.