Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1151339 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #4080 on: June 25, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
Here we go again......

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4081 on: June 25, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
The email is from the same firm which sent out the last one from the Reichman family. Not surprised there's a response.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: June 25, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
Not sure why they felt it necessary to release the original statement in that email. It seemed like some sort of backstabbing/sabotage to me.

Online gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: June 25, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
No just didn't want people to go thinking that since they owned it they knew what was going on and that everything is kosher . So they want people to know that they have zero to do with hotel and what goes on now so people shouldn't think it's all the same

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 25, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »
Well they could have released that statement years ago, too, in that case.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4085 on: June 25, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
Well they could have released that statement years ago, too, in that case.
Huh?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 25, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
No just didn't want people to go thinking that since they owned it they knew what was going on and that everything is kosher . So they want people to know that they have zero to do with hotel and what goes on now so people shouldn't think it's all the same
Huh?

Online elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: June 25, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
#Fake News!!

Based on personal experience, there is not a Mashgiach present at all times. (Which leaves open Major Bishul Akum issues, aside from many others as well)

Even though I spoke with him on the phone a couple minutes prior, and he promised me there is always a Mashgiach present. But when I showed up the front desk as well as the kitchen staff confirmed with me that there was no Mashgiach present at the time! In which case it begs the question who are you relying on?!? There is no Hashgacha, and he promised me someone is there when there wasnt!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 25, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
Which leaves open Major Bishul Akum issues
Why can't a fire be left on that was lit by a Jew?

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 25, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
#Fake News!!

Based on personal experience, there is not a Mashgiach present at all times. (Which leaves open Major Bishul Akum issues, aside from many others as well)

Even though I spoke with him on the phone a couple minutes prior, and he promised me there is always a Mashgiach present. But when I showed up the front desk as well as the kitchen staff confirmed with me that there was no Mashgiach present at the time! In which case it begs the question who are you relying on?!? There is no Hashgacha, and he promised me someone is there when there wasnt!
It could be this is the new standard
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Online elya

• View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: June 25, 2018, 04:12:42 PM »
It can, but who's to say it was?!?

My point is simply, who are you relying on?!? there is no Hashgacha, and he promised me something which proved not be the truth.

Online elya

• View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
It could be this is the new standard
Well he promised me that was the case then as well.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: June 25, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
It can, but who's to say it was?!?

My point is simply, who are you relying on?!? there is no Hashgacha, and he promised me something which proved not be the truth.
The on duty mashgiach I spoke to said that is what they do.

I'll say it again ... When you get to heaven after  120...and they ask you if you ate kosher, you'll have no problem saying you're not sure but you def paid for kosher.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4093 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
I have been told by numerous kashrus pros (Maybe @moko  can give some insight) that this is not reliable as a practical matter for a few reasons. In a commercial setting flames often go out or are turned off by habit and you can almost be guaranteed that the regular staff will turn it back on if needed. Also it is highly unrealistic that every single flame in the kitchen is left on. What would happen when they need a burner which was not left on?

That is only the beginning of the issues. You can have issues of them running out of washed vegetables or g'maasered produce and more.

Leaving such a kitchen with no mashgiach is does NOT sound like keeping to mehdarin standards.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: June 25, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
The on duty mashgiach I spoke to said that is what they do.
I'll say it again ... When you get to heaven after  120...and they ask you if you ate kosher, you'll have no problem saying you're not sure but you def paid for kosher.
For the free breakfast.....
Jews will do anything for a free meal.
(out of context disclaimer)

Online gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: June 25, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
 And issue by meat that no mashgiach tmidi.
I as well was there and asked for mashgiach and I heard her say in Hebrew thinking I didn't understand that they didn't know if he came yet and that was at 9am . When he came about 45 min later I asked about the kashrus and I got the everything is good , I asked him what products they use and i guess he thought I was an  ignorant American not someone who lives here and has a clue  to  the types of kashrus here. He told me everything is good when I pressed him for which hashgacha they use he said don't worry it's all mehadrin I asked for specifics and when he gave them to me I told him in Hebrew that some of hasgachas they use are definitely not mehadrin and he said if I don't like it don't eat .

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: June 25, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
And issue by meat that no mashgiach tmidi.
I as well was there and asked for mashgiach and I heard her say in Hebrew thinking I didn't understand that they didn't know if he came yet and that was at 9am . When he came about 45 min later I asked about the kashrus and I got the everything is good , I asked him what products they use and i guess he thought I was an  ignorant American not someone who lives here and has a clue  to  the types of kashrus here. He told me everything is good when I pressed him for which hashgacha they use he said don't worry it's all mehadrin I asked for specifics and when he gave them to me I told him in Hebrew that some of hasgachas they use are definitely not mehadrin and he said if I don't like it don't eat .

This is exactly the attitude which has been mentioned a few times in this thread as to why it is not so simple to rely on speaking with the mashgiach.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: June 25, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
This is exactly the attitude which has been mentioned a few times in this thread as to why it is not so simple to rely on speaking with the mashgiach.
Not so typical to see the Mashgiach self promoting himself. He couldn't get someone else to promote him? Maybe there's a reason for that? Not that I like to cast suspicions for no reason...

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: June 25, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
I worked for the guy once Kashring hotels for Pesach.
I also know his boss who is an authority on Kashrus and told me there was no problem with the Waldorf.

I guess the argument will go on and on....

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: June 25, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
I have been told by numerous kashrus pros (Maybe @moko  can give some insight) that this is not reliable as a practical matter for a few reasons. In a commercial setting flames often go out or are turned off by habit and you can almost be guaranteed that the regular staff will turn it back on if needed. Also it is highly unrealistic that every single flame in the kitchen is left on. What would happen when they need a burner which was not left on?
That is somewhat correct. Though covered pilots (aish m'aish which for some reason is relied on lechatchilah in industrial plants but not in commercial kitchens) are some what more reliable. Even pilots tend to go out from time to time. That said it's possible that they have a yotzei v'nichnas mashgiach several times a day. (Many out of town places rely on this for pareve or milchig and occasionally even fleishig due to lack of personnel.)

That is only the beginning of the issues. You can have issues of them running out of washed vegetables or g'maasered produce and more.
You could theoretically wash all produce needed for the day and have a surplus. Additionally you can lock up any non-checked produce on-site. (Many orginizations are doing this for places like salad brs which just have a mashgiach for bedikas toila'im)

Leaving such a kitchen with no mashgiach is does NOT sound like keeping to mehdarin standards.
You need to define mehadrin standards first....