Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1151675 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #4240 on: November 06, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
It's a great hotel by Israeli service standards. Full stop.
It is not up to par with 5 star hotels in other countries.

All totally true but after I went there the first time, I couldn't believe that I'd never seen anyone gushing on here about their beautiful JEWISH service touches on top of their normal hotel service that I think count for a lot...the shabbat mode on all the lights, the pre-ripped toilet paper (with a lovely cover that says "Shabbat" on it), Ashkenazi and Sephardic minyanim on Chagim and Shabbat, DAILY minyanim during Chol HaMoed, etc.  Never mind that we are all staying there for free, is there any other hotel in Israel, or the world for that matter, (and I'm not trying to be obnoxious but am truly asking) that offers the level of total hotel room, food and service experience that the WAJ offers a frum Jew? 

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #4241 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »

Don't think there is anything they can do about that, as they can only hire Israeli's and Israeli's will never be able to give you that fake smile and fake happiness that you're in thier hotel that you'll get from other hotel serivce people's.

They just can't. Or as they say "Impossible"! אי אפשר!
Thats obviously not true. Ive had great service at the Ritz in Herzliyah and the setai in Upper Galilee

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
They have a bunch of foreigners the assistant gm maria just moved to Amsterdam to become gm there. One of the head PC there Josh was from Dallas and now moved to Hilton tlv .
And they have alot of people behind scenes that are Americans as well.

Offline runnergirl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
« Reply #4243 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
Yes, the food aspect is amazing and we love staying at the WAJ because of that and the location. Though not having dairy on the menu for Shavuos dinner or lunch was a big letdown.
Either way, food is not service and the service is not on par with other international 5 star hotels.
Was there for Succos and was very unimpressed with the food.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #4244 on: November 06, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
Exactly the food isnt out of this world

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

Either way, food is not service and the service is not on par with other international 5 star hotels.
I'd venture to guess, for many of the people staying there, the only other 5* hotel they've stayed at is the St Regis Bal Harbour. So they dont have the expectations that you have.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4246 on: November 06, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »
I'd venture to guess, for many of the people staying there, the only other 5* hotel they've stayed at is the St Regis Bal Harbour. So they dont have the expectations that you have.
That's fair.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4247 on: November 06, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
Thats obviously not true. Ive had great service at the Ritz in Herzliyah and the setai in Upper Galilee
Yup, it's about training and creating a service culture. Obviously it's more of a challenge in Israel where most companies have horrendous service issues.
The Ritz was much more polished than the WAJ, IME as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: November 06, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »

Does the Ritz have rooms on Shabbat mode and other service touches for observant Jews that the WAJ has?  I'm planning to go there next Sukkot so I'd love to know.  I was pleasantly surprised by some of the services that offered over Chol HaMoed Sukkot at the Hilton TA (daily minyanim, etc.).

I've stayed at Conrad Maldives and Koh Samui and many other out of this world service hotels and although the WAJ definitely doesn't have the same level of anticipatory service as those two, I still find the total package incredible.

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 06, 2018, 02:42:10 PM »
The Ritz gm is the Waldorf old gm.
Before both opened they had a team from America come.in and do training with them on customer quality and service . I know the citadel did as well when they opened a team from Hilton came down and did training there.

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: November 06, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »

Does the Ritz have rooms on Shabbat mode and other service touches for observant Jews that the WAJ has?.

They have shabbos mode on rooms but it's very glitchy and minyanim there is hit or miss at least on reg shabbos not sure about you tov.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: November 06, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
Our WAJ Shabbos mode was turned off on Shabbos by the maid, which is a massive problem as you can't even exit the room after that. All of the lights were changed also.
It's nice that they have it of course, but I wish the cleaning staff was trained on that.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: November 06, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »
We found the Yom Tov food to be very repetitive and unimpressive. Which is a shame considering it costs a small fortune.
Shabbos food is very good, though definitely not amazing.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: November 06, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
Our WAJ Shabbos mode was turned off on Shabbos by the maid, which is a massive problem as you can't even exit the room after that. All of the lights were changed also.
It's nice that they have it of course, but I wish the cleaning staff was trained on that.

Wow, that's horrible!

They have shabbos mode on rooms but it's very glitchy and minyanim there is hit or miss at least on reg shabbos not sure about you tov.

Interesting, so I guess I'm still curious about my bolded question below in regards to WAJ service.  I've never stayed at the King David, Citadel, Orient, kosher hotel in Europe or fancy Pesach program to compare but...

All totally true but after I went there the first time, I couldn't believe that I'd never seen anyone gushing on here about their beautiful JEWISH service touches on top of their normal hotel service that I think count for a lot...the shabbat mode on all the lights, the pre-ripped toilet paper (with a lovely cover that says "Shabbat" on it), Ashkenazi and Sephardic minyanim on Chagim and Shabbat, DAILY minyanim during Chol HaMoed, etc.  Never mind that we are all staying there for free, is there any other hotel in Israel, or the world for that matter, (and I'm not trying to be obnoxious but am truly asking) that offers the level of total hotel room, food and service experience that the WAJ offers a frum Jew?

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:49 PM »
Was at the Setai last week and wasn’t impressed at all. After coming from the WAJ it was a total down grade. Appearance and Service  is not to compare.

Service wasn’t at all good at the  setai it was typical Israeli service. I checked in at 6:00 pm and went to the pool off my room. An hour later I hear someone knocking on the door so I scream from the pool who is there. It was room service with fresh towels they came into the yard and just dumped them on the lounge chair. Why in the world where they bringing me towels an hour after I checked in? If I’m in the pool you don’t just burst in you come back.

Another person staying there told me the same.  He was in bed and they knocked on his door for room service. He told them not now but they just walked into the room.
 Appearance is typical Israeli nothing special and there is some really obvious wear and tear. If this is how it looks now and it’s fairly new I’m afraid to think how it will look in a few years. There maintenance overhead is crazy as they have to service a 100 pools and tubs.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: November 06, 2018, 03:01:34 PM »
Was at the Setai last week and wasn’t impressed at all. After coming from the WAJ it was a total down grade. Appearance and Service  is not to compare.

Service wasn’t at all good at the  setai it was typical Israeli service. I checked in at 6:00 pm and went to the pool off my room. An hour later I hear someone knocking on the door so I scream from the pool who is there. It was room service with fresh towels they came into the yard and just dumped them on the lounge chair. Why in the world where they bringing me towels an hour after I checked in? If I’m in the pool you don’t just burst in you come back.

Another person staying there told me the same.  He was in bed and they knocked on his door for room service. He told them not now but they just walked into the room.
 Appearance is typical Israeli nothing special and there is some really obvious wear and tear. If this is how it looks now and it’s fairly new I’m afraid to think how it will look in a few years. There maintenance overhead is crazy as they have to service a 100 pools and tubs.
Im sorry you had a rough time but that was not my experience at all. I guess YMMV

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: November 06, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
“ Never mind that we are all staying there for free,”
Please can you explain for the more naive ones how this is done.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »

Did you have the DnD sign on?
If not, none of this is relevant. Happens in all hotels.

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
Im sorry you had a rough time but that was not my experience at all. I guess YMMV
You put WAJ and setai in the same level?

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: November 06, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
Did you have the DnD sign on?
If not, none of this is relevant. Happens in all hotels.
Didnt think I need to put it on at 8:00 pm....