Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1160756 times)

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #4340 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »
Does anyone have a reservation for this weekend Jan 17-18-19 or any of those dates?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline letav_aved

• View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: January 24, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
Anyone looking to stay at WAJ- PM me.... I can get rooms for around $400 a night

Offline Yitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: January 24, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »
Speaking of the Waldorf and kashrus, they have kahlua at the bar. It's a 700ml bottle, says imported from Mexico but doesn't say where it was bottled. I think a company from Paris imported it. I'm not saying it is or isn't kosher, just pointing it out.
Maybe belongs in this thread https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1193.msg1838757#msg1838757
Its Amazing how many religious people were eating at the Hotel this past Shabbos. I would be very surprised that all these people do not care about Kashrus. I spoke to the Masgiach, he told me the new Owner wants a higher standard of Kashrus to accommodate the Sephardim.

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #4343 on: January 24, 2019, 10:05:17 AM »
Its Amazing how many religious people were eating at the Hotel this past Shabbos. I would be very surprised that all these people do not care about Kashrus. I spoke to the Masgiach, he told me the new Owner wants a higher standard of Kashrus to accommodate the Sephardim.
It's like that every week.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4344 on: January 24, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
I would be very surprised that all these people do not care about Kashrus.
::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: January 24, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »

Its Amazing how many religious people were eating at the Hotel this past Shabbos. I would be very surprised that all these people do not care about Kashrus.

And what makes you think they don't have the exact same thought process that you have? I'd venture to say they do.

I'll explain it for you simply. Bandwagon effect.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4346 on: January 24, 2019, 11:24:59 AM »
Right, I'm sure none of them did any research  ::)
Nice way to be DL"Z
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
I book for alot of people and truth is that most people don't get what goes on here with the kashrus and since they see others eating there they assume it must be good even though they ask.
Mashgiach himself says either you trust me or you don't if u ask too many questions ,he says come look how many people eat here who are frum/chasidish/heimish etc.

Most of this started bc people would say reichman is a good yid so must be food in hotel must be good as well and never really asked what goes on and snowballed from there.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: January 24, 2019, 11:49:24 AM »
Nice way to be DL"Z
I have seen some very Choshev rabbonim eat at the hotel in the past. I am sure they did research.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: January 24, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »
I have seen some very Choshev rabbonim eat at the hotel in the past. I am sure they did research.
Reb Nissim Kaplan ate there with his own food, so don't judge so quick. IINM he recently stopped eating on the main floor for this reason.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4350 on: January 24, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
Reb Nissim Kaplan ate there with his own food, so don't judge so quick. IINM he recently stopped eating on the main floor for this reason.
That is not who I saw. The person I saw is in the same league in my opinion.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: January 24, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
That is not who I saw. The person I saw is in the same league in my opinion.
The point still stands, unless you've seen them eat the WAJ food

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: January 24, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
Nice way to be DL"Z
Asking your local Rav in Lakewood, Crown Heights, or Paris doesn't help much.
You and everyone else here pokes fun about Israeli Kashrus being complicated but then doesn't ask someone who's familiar with it before eating it.
I'm still waiting for anyone here to drop a name to me of a Rav in Jerusalem that's familiar with Israeli Kashrus who is respected and followed by the Charedi community who says it's good and better than Rabbanut.
Sure, you can make fun of how it's politics, and that you heard the masgiach is a tzadik, and they only use para adumas that are shechted by R Chaim after davening 40  days by the Kosel. But until that happens, and as long as there isn't a rav that follows that criteria who says it's ok, the fact that this American Rosh yeshiva, and that community Rav who used to work for CRC eats there when he visits Israel means very little. Yes, that's called selective research and if it works for you then great. I'm sure it's strictly kosher, and if you you eat Rabbanut then perfect, but know that what it is, is Rabbanut.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4353 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
You and everyone else here pokes fun about Israeli Kashrus being complicated but then doesn't ask someone who's familiar with it before eating it.
I'm still waiting for anyone here to drop a name to me of a Rav in Jerusalem that's familiar with Israeli Kashrus who is respected and followed by the Charedi community who says it's good and better than Rabbanut.
Sure, you can make fun of how it's politics, and that you heard the masgiach is a tzadik, and they only use para adumas that are shechted by R Chaim after davening 40  days by the Kosel. But until that happens, and as long as there isn't a rav that follows that criteria who says it's ok, the fact that this American Rosh yeshiva, and that community Rav who used to work for CRC eats there when he visits Israel means very little. Yes, that's called selective research and if it works for you then great. I'm sure it's strictly kosher, and if you you eat Rabbanut then perfect, but know that what it is, is Rabbanut.
You make very good points. Also, I have never eaten there (yes, I had the opportunity), because I would need to do much more personal research before I would do so.

Still, I do think there’s a reasonable tzad that they’re better than you’re making them out to be, not merely Rabbanut, and when I do the research for myself, I’ll be glad to share. The fact that many upstanding Yidden do something DOES count for something, even if not everything.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: January 24, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »

1) Still, I do think there’s a reasonable tzad that they’re better than you’re making them out to be, not merely Rabbanut, and when I do the research for myself, I’ll be glad to share.
2)The fact that many upstanding Yidden do something DOES count for something, even if not everything.
1) I'll be waiting here for you.
2) Not in this case. Walk over to the first 10 black hatted bearded fellows and ask them what research they did. They all have the same answer, "R' Alle permits it."

Offline oldguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: January 24, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
1) I'll be waiting here for you.
2) Not in this case. Walk over to the first 10 black hatted bearded fellows and ask them what research they did. They all have the same answer, "R' Alle permits it."
My FIL heard a story from R' Gifter Z"L that he once went to a Simcha and asked everybody on the head table who's the Hechsher/Mashgiach? they all answered they don't know. So he went over to the Bal Simcha and asked him, Pointing at the head table his answer was "you don't see everybody is eating here"......

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: January 24, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »
My Rov called a Rov in Jerusalem and determined it was OK, thanks for asking!

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: January 24, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
Who called a rov who called a rov lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: January 24, 2019, 04:13:31 PM »
Who called a rov who called a rov lol
Nope. Thanks for asking!

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: January 24, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
My Rov called a Rov in Jerusalem and determined it was OK, thanks for asking!
Also depends on your comfort level of kashrus ,(some people won't eat chalav Stam or hold of triangle k) and what level your Rav may hold , I know some reputable rabbonim in America who decide for their community they could eat there.

Every person has to ask for themselves and know their situation, the kashrus in Israel and on restaurant/hotels is not a blanket that bc one rabbi holds it's ok it's ok for e/o