Author Topic: Closest airport to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH  (Read 7977 times)

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Closest airport to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »
With the amex>BA promo, I'd like to take a young cousin from NY to the great amusement park. From Google Maps it appears the closest airport to fly into is CLE, but that's an hour drive away.

Is there anywhere closer AA flies nonstop from the NY area?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Closest airport to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:04:18 AM »
CLE is definitely the closest.  Have fun it's an AWESOME park for roller coaster fans.

Then spend some time for the other good stuff CLE has to offer :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »
CLE is definitely the closest.  Have fun it's an AWESOME park for roller coaster fans.

Then spend some time for the other good stuff CLE has to offer :)
Best turnaround I can find is arriving at 10:20 and departing at 16:20, so its runing to the park and back... Is there another airport I can check for availability?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »
CMH and DTW, but I don't think those will have better same-day turns and they're further away.

Either way you'd be hard-pressed to really do the park even if you had the entire day from open to close, definitely not worthwhile for a couple hours.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
CMH and DTW, but I don't think those will have better same-day turns and they're further away.

Either way you'd be hard-pressed to really do the park even if you had the entire day from open to close, definitely not worthwhile for a couple hours.
I'd spend the 12k MR for a coffee... My issue is with booked up early and late flights, so lets check. Thanks.

I am totally not into amusement parks, just looking to spend quality time with a young cousin(s)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
AA just doesn't have same-day turns from NYC to CLE/CMH/DTW.  They time them for CLE/CMH/DTW folks to do a same-day turn in NYC.

Can't spend the night at the cat. 2 Sheraton CLE?  (Or better yet in Sandusky or in the jewish suburbs of CLE?)

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »
AA just doesn't have same-day turns from NYC to CLE/CMH/DTW.  They time them for CLE/CMH/DTW folks to do a same-day turn in NYC.

Can't spend the night at the cat. 2 Sheraton CLE?
I am far from certain the cousin will want to/be able to do it, but even if he does, there's school. Maybe stay overnight and take the early AM back, I'll see. Working on Hyatt challenge now, so doubt SPG

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
I am far from certain the cousin will want to/be able to do it, but even if he does, there's school. Maybe stay overnight and take the early AM back, I'll see. Working on Hyatt challenge now, so doubt SPG
There should be a very early CLE-LGA flight available to get back on time for school.
There are 2 Hyatts within 12 minutes of CLE.  A HR in a grand 19th century arcade building and a HP with a free airport shuttle.

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:29 AM »
There should be a very early CLE-LGA flight available to get back on time for school.
There are 2 Hyatts within 12 minutes of CLE.  A HR in a grand 19th century arcade building and a HP with a free airport shuttle.
Thanks a lot, now we have to pitch to the cousins... Also re: hotels, there might be girls so that can be sensitive. I saw there's like a 0505 flight from CLE.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
If school is what is holding your plans back, why not transfer the miles now and book at a time when school isn't an issue?

+1.  If a trip to Cedar Point is a rarity for your party, then you should try to make the most of it.  Attempting to fit all of this in one day is a tough challenge...unless if your "young cousin(s)" are under the age of ~12, then they might not find very many attractions suitable for them.  However, standing in 1-2 hour lines in the sun for roller coasters might take a toll on your body, especially if you need catch a flight out of CLE later that night.

Some hotels in the Sandusky area offer "Stay & Ride" packages for individuals and families.

Drug stores and grocery stores in the CLE area (ie. Drug Mart) usually sell discounted tickets for the park typically $6-$10 cheaper than at the gate, but that won't get announced until we get closer to the operating season.

ProTip: If you DO plan on commuting back and forth from Cleveland to Cedar Point, look at Google Maps (or use your GPS) and plot a course using the Rye Beach Road (west on US 6) exit and then turn right on to Cedar Point Road.  You'll take the back way in and save 15-30 minutes each way by skipping the Sandusky and Cedar Point Causeway mess in the morning.  Plus you'll get an awesome drive along the lake shore.  All of that is moot if you plan on staying at a hotel in Sandusky though.

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
Thanks a lot. Doesn't look very hopeful right now, but looking into it. I don't see the whole thing as so consequential, if it doesn't work this time we'll come back again.