Author Topic: Taking Advantage of Amex?  (Read 7197 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Taking Advantage of Amex?
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
In the past year I have done 3 "chargebacks" to merchants that would not let me return my product, or had an issue with my purchase. I just encountered something I bought online and feel the merchant was dishonest in their return policy and is taking advantage of me. Can I call amex again? Is there a point where they will look at my account and tell me no? All returns were for less than $100

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Taking Advantage of Amex?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »
In the past year I have done 3 "chargebacks" to merchants that would not let me return my product, or had an issue with my purchase. I just encountered something I bought online and feel the merchant was dishonest in their return policy and is taking advantage of me. Can I call amex again? Is there a point where they will look at my account and tell me no? All returns were for less than $100

What have you done, chargebacks or warranty claims? As I'm sure you know, there's a diff...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
What have you done, chargebacks or warranty claims? As I'm sure you know, there's a diff...
One warranty claim (mid process now) and three chargebacks (AKA return protection)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »
One warranty claim (mid process now) and three chargebacks (AKA return protection)

I dont think chargebacks = return protection but thats besides the point

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »

I disagree.

4 charge backs and 0 warranty claims, or 4 warranty claims and 0 charge backs tell a different story than 2 and 2.

I'd imagine there would be a point at which one of the departments look at the account and say, "hey, what the heck is going on with this guy? He always seems to have a problem with the merchant or the product..."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
Oops! Whats the difference?

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48:56 AM »
I disagree.

4 charge backs and 0 warranty claims, or 4 warranty claims and 0 charge backs tell a different story than 2 and 2.

I'd imagine there would be a point at which one of the departments look at the account and say, "hey, what the heck is going on with this guy? He always seems to have a problem with the merchant or the product..."
Thats what Im asking. Although if you ask me my claims are legit. I just happen to do 95% of my shopping online and that always raises issues.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
I disagree.

Im not sure what you think i said

could be im wrong but i always thought a chargeback is when you dispute the charge 9scam, never received the item or whatever)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Thats what Im asking. Although if you ask me my claims are legit. I just happen to do 95% of my shopping online and that always raises issues.

I'm not saying AmEx will outright deny you for submitting claims, but practically speaking, I can't imagine they wouldn't scrutinize a bit more  as the # increases.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »

charge back ≠ return protection.

The former is when you dispute the actual charge (I think you officially only have 60 days to file, and if you win, you get your $ back, merchant gets penalized).

The latter is when you make a warranty claim with one of AmEx's insurance companies. (You only have 90 days on eligible items, and if you win, you get your $ back from AmEx insurance, and merchant is not penalized AFAIK).

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
I'm not saying AmEx will outright deny you for submitting claims, but practically speaking, I can't imagine they wouldn't scrutinize a bit more  as the # increases.
If they do, it sounds like insurance fraud to me
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
I know there is a limit per year per card (or account). I just dont want a boy who cried wolf situation.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »

Scrutinizing "excessive" claims? I don't agree.

I know there is a limit per year per card (or account). I just dont want a boy who cried wolf situation.

Use your common sense. If you are submitting valid and legitimate claims, you shouldn't have a problem.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
@AJK he has nothing to lose if they scrutinize his claim - it's legit. I meant if they F/R etc. I believe we talked about that here once before.

@puddled - the max insurance per year is $10,000 IIRC
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
@AJK he has nothing to lose if they scrutinize his claim - it's legit. I meant if they F/R etc. I believe we talked about that here once before.

Who said anything about F/R? He wanted to know if they'd deny his claims simply for making a number of them.

Additionally, even if his current claim is legit, AmEx is known for their great warranty service. Oftentimes they'll approve the claim right away (no sending in the item, no investigation), even if it rides the line of approvability.

If he submits a lot of claims, when it comes to that one big time where it rides the line, his many previous claims will certainly not work in his favor.

Offline Yellow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
is this per person, or per card? (Meaning, technically if a person has 3 different cards and diversifies his spend and therefore has 2 legitimate chargebacks/warranty claims per card, do they look at the number as 6? or just 2 per card)

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
Who said anything about F/R? He wanted to know if they'd deny his claims simply for making a number of them.

Additionally, even if his current claim is legit, AmEx is known for their great warranty service. Oftentimes they'll approve the claim right away (no sending in the item, no investigation), even if it rides the line of approvability.

If he submits a lot of claims, when it comes to that one big time where it rides the line, his many previous claims will certainly not work in his favor.
exactly. Could not (and didnt) say it better myself.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »
I dont see why using the return protection will affect you in any way shape or form. They offer up to $300 per occurrence and up to $1000 a year. This a feature that they advertise for you to use. If they didn't like people using it they wouldn't offer it. And to be frank I doubt most people that use Amex even know that it is offered, so a handful of people using it to the fullest extent is most probably meaningless to them. Disputes is a different story.

On another note I would really love to know what they do with all those items that they receive  under the return protection.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
I dont see why using the return protection will affect you in any way shape or form. They offer up to $300 per occurrence and up to $1000 a year. This a feature that they advertise for you to use. If they didn't like people using it they wouldn't offer it.

You apparently don't know how the insurance business works.

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
You apparently don't know how the insurance business works.
Can you elaborate?