Topic Wiki

Restaurants
Casablanca - Meat, Moroccan
3030 Severn Ave, Metairie, LA
http://www.kosherneworleans.com/
Hechsher: LKC - http://www.louisianakosher.com/Casablanca_LOC_July_26_2018.pdf

Kosher Cajun - Meat, NY style deli & Cajun classics (red beans & rice, jambalaya, po'boy)
3519 Severn Ave, Metairie, LA
http://koshercajun.com/
Hechsher: LKC - http://www.louisianakosher.com/kosher_letters/Koshercajun2017.pdf

Waffles on Maple - Metairie (uptown location closed) - Dairy, waffles (some weird, like chili-topped waffles!), pizza, coffee drinks
4650 W Esplanade Ave #100, Metairie, LA 70006
http://www.wafflesonmaple.com/
Hechsher: Rabbi Josh Pernick- https://shop.cafedumonde.com/media/wysiwyg/CafeDuMonde_2018_kosher.pdf

Cafe Du Monde (2 locations) - coffee, beignets
800 Decatur St., New Orleans, LA 70116
4700 Veterans Blvd., Metairie, LA 70006
http://www.cafedumonde.com/
Hechsher: Rabbi Josh Pernick- https://www.wafflesonmaple.com/contact
(website currently showing LKC for one location, but LKC says its no longer under them)

Shuls
Anshe Sefard
2230 Carondelet St.
New Orleans, Garden District
Orthodox
http://www.anshesfard.org/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Congregation-Anshe-Sfard-of-New-Orleans/190279014373125

Chabad - Metairie
4141 West Esplanade Avenue
Metairie, LA
Daily Mincha/Maariv at the Zman
Shacharis on Sundays only @ 8:00 am

Chabad - Uptown
7037 Freret St
New Orleans, LA
Daily Shacharis 7:00 am M-F , 8:00 am Sunday

TR:

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=70025.msg1620712;topicseen#new
skyguy918

Saw50st8 - https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=113506
« Last edited by joey89 on July 02, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »

Author Topic: New Orleans Master Thread  (Read 72097 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: New Orleans Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
Casblanca or kosher cajun for dinner sunday night?
Casblanca has better food imo
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »

thanks. my only hesitation is that I can get moraccan food in ny

Offline ethana

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Casablanca is tops

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
Can I eat at Cafe Du Monde? The hechsher is from the local Rabbi, R. Uri Toplosky.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
Where? Don't say Jerusalem steakhouse.

Offline ad120

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »
can't get the ambiance anywhere in NY. The decor is awesome!

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »
Casablanca is tops
can't get the ambiance anywhere in NY. The decor is awesome!

We went last night and you're all correct. It was really good!

Offline MrsZev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
Casblanca or kosher cajun for dinner sunday night?

I'm late, but here's my $0.02... We were there in Feb- mine's a mixed bag... Cassablanca is better date-night-ish atmosphere, and I concur that decor is beautiful. I had moussaka, wasn't impressed - DH had meat, which was DELICIOUS. Chocolate cake is massive, and really really good - 2 people can share. Drinks were thin, save your money or opt for wine/beer.

Kosher Cajun had great fries, and it was super convenient to go there straight from the airport, get lunch & pick up grocery items (and wine). It's casual, reminded me of Ken's Diner here in Chicago. Food was good - but not 'special' other than the menu offerings (where else would you find red beans & rice, jambalaya, or a kosher po'boy?).

Neither was open Sat night, and you should consider a reservation for Sun night at Cassablanca.

Offline MrsZev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »
Can I eat at Cafe Du Monde? The hechsher is from the local Rabbi, R. Uri Toplosky.

Teuda here, for what that does for ya http://shop.cafedumonde.com/pdf/CafeDuMonde_kosher.pdf

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
Teuda here, for what that does for ya http://shop.cafedumonde.com/pdf/CafeDuMonde_kosher.pdf

Thanks. I saw that and decided not to eat there. I'm sure the Rabbi is reliable and trustworthy but I'm not a fan of open-orthodoxy.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
Mini TR (because it was only a mini trip)

Took off from EWR on SW. Very rowdy flight. People were drunk at 8 in the morning already.

We brought food from Seasons in 5T. They packed up the whole shabbos for us and we heated it up on a shabbos hot plate. Worked out really well.
We stayed in the Hilton Riverside because that's where my conference was. I upgraded to a "murphy suite." It was a suite that is sometimes used as a living room for a bigger suite so the bed is actually a murphy bed. Same mattress but no box spring. Still very comfortable.

We went to the aquarium on Friday afternoon. It's very nice but once you go to the Atlanta Aquarium, you get spoiled. I definitely recommend parakeets peak where you get to feed some birds.

Shabbos and Sunday morning were spent in conference  :(

Sunday afternoon we went to the WWII museum which was excellent. Highly recommended! We then went to the French Quarter and I still feel dirty just from walking there. My wife did have fun window shopping by the mask and hat stores on Royal Street. The famous Bourbon Street is just gross.

That night we ate at Casablanca and it was excellent. I don't know Moroccan food but even I can tell that this was good, authentic food.
Monday morning we went to Waffles on Maple. WOW! I ordered the heart attack which is an egg and cheese on a waffle. Who knew that savory waffles can be so good?! DW ordered the uptown girl which was a waffle with fresh srawberries, bananas, and a whole lot of whipped cream. Also really really good.

Then it was off to home on SW again. Lots of hungover people on the flight.

All in all, I had a nice time and I'm happy I had business in NOLA because I would never choose to got there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:21:28 AM by ushdadude »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »

Took off from EWR on SW. Very rowdy flight. People were drunk at 8 in the morning already.

We brought food from Seasons in 5T. They packed up the whole shabbos for us and we heated it up on a shabbos hot plate. Worked out really well.
We stayed in the Hilton Riverside because that's where my conference was. I upgraded to a "murphy suite." It was a suite that is sometimes used as a living room for a bigger suite so the bed is actually a murphy bed. Same mattress but no box spring. Still very comfortable.

image hosting 10mb limit
We went to the aquarium on Friday afternoon. It's very nice but once you go to the Atlanta Aquarium, you get spoiled. I definitely recommend parakeets peak where you get to feed some birds.

Sunday afternoon we went to the WWII museum which was excellent. Highly recommended! We then went to the French Quarter and I still feel dirty just from walking there. My wife did have fun window shopping by the mask and hat stores on Royal Street. The famous Bourbon Street is just gross.

That night we ate at Casablanca and it was excellent. I don't know Moroccan food but even I can tell that this was good, authentic food.
Monday morning we went to Waffles on Maple. WOW! I ordered the heart attack which is an egg and cheese on a waffle. Who knew that savory waffles can be so good! DW ordered the uptown girl which was a waffle with fresh srawberries, bananas, and a whole lot of whipped cream. Also really really good.

All in all, I had a nice time and I'm happy I had business in NOLA because I would never choose to got there.

You went around Mardi Gras season. What did you expect...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »

Monday morning we went to Waffles on Maple. WOW! I ordered the heart attack which is an egg and cheese on a waffle. Who knew that savory waffles can be so good?! DW ordered the uptown girl which was a waffle with fresh srawberries, bananas, and a whole lot of whipped cream. Also really really good.

When you go to a concert or party you always pregame. That's what the EWR fellas were doing.
City Park is nice and they have on of the nicest sculpture gardens I've ever seen!
+1

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
Might go next week for a quick shabbos get away.  I would like to stay in the Jewish community. Any options for host? And if I come in Thursday and leave Monday morning what are the best  and inexpensive options?

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
dad just  visited, and when he asked someone for kosher restaurant they recommended "Shaya". after driving a while to get there, he was impressed with the ambiance, loft seating... until he looked at menu and found their steak served with whipped feta! just a heads up
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »
We then went to the French Quarter and I still feel dirty just from walking there. My wife did have fun window shopping by the mask and hat stores on Royal Street. The famous Bourbon Street is just gross.
my parents went during mardi gras and stayed in french quarter and had nice time. y gross?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »

my parents went during mardi gras and stayed in french quarter and had nice time. y gross?
maybe it wasn't during Mardi Gras...

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:44 PM »

dad just  visited, and when he asked someone for kosher restaurant they recommended "Shaya". after driving a while to get there, he was impressed with the ambiance, loft seating... until he looked at menu and found their steak served with whipped feta! just a heads up
there are some other kosher restaurants notably a very good Moroccan place and a waffle place that are very good

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2016, 12:50:52 AM »
Smelled like vomit and urine. Still had extremely loud music blasting and people completely wasted on the streets...in middle of the day. My wife was also offered beads (hameivin yovin)
there are some other kosher restaurants notably a very good Moroccan place and a waffle place that are very good
both were really good

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
New Orleans Master Thread
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2016, 01:02:05 AM »
Do any basic research on Mardi Gras and you will understand why most ppl on this forum would describe the atmosphere on bourbon st as disgusting (does not require one to me a מבין)