Topic Wiki

Restaurants
Casablanca - Meat, Moroccan
3030 Severn Ave, Metairie, LA
http://www.kosherneworleans.com/
Hechsher: LKC - http://www.louisianakosher.com/Casablanca_LOC_July_26_2018.pdf

Kosher Cajun - Meat, NY style deli & Cajun classics (red beans & rice, jambalaya, po'boy)
3519 Severn Ave, Metairie, LA
http://koshercajun.com/
Hechsher: LKC - http://www.louisianakosher.com/kosher_letters/Koshercajun2017.pdf

Waffles on Maple - Metairie (uptown location closed) - Dairy, waffles (some weird, like chili-topped waffles!), pizza, coffee drinks
4650 W Esplanade Ave #100, Metairie, LA 70006
http://www.wafflesonmaple.com/
Hechsher: Rabbi Josh Pernick- https://shop.cafedumonde.com/media/wysiwyg/CafeDuMonde_2018_kosher.pdf

Cafe Du Monde (2 locations) - coffee, beignets
800 Decatur St., New Orleans, LA 70116
4700 Veterans Blvd., Metairie, LA 70006
http://www.cafedumonde.com/
Hechsher: Rabbi Josh Pernick- https://www.wafflesonmaple.com/contact
(website currently showing LKC for one location, but LKC says its no longer under them)

Shuls
Anshe Sefard
2230 Carondelet St.
New Orleans, Garden District
Orthodox
http://www.anshesfard.org/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Congregation-Anshe-Sfard-of-New-Orleans/190279014373125

Chabad - Metairie
4141 West Esplanade Avenue
Metairie, LA
Daily Mincha/Maariv at the Zman
Shacharis on Sundays only @ 8:00 am

Chabad - Uptown
7037 Freret St
New Orleans, LA
Daily Shacharis 7:00 am M-F , 8:00 am Sunday

TR:

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=70025.msg1620712;topicseen#new
skyguy918

Saw50st8 - https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=113506
« Last edited by joey89 on July 02, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »

Author Topic: New Orleans Master Thread  (Read 71438 times)

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Orleans Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »
Has anyone done Jazz Festival in New Orleans?  Been on my bucket list but not sure what to expect. Wondering if it is overcrowded or a fun time.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
Has anyone done Jazz Festival in New Orleans?  Been on my bucket list but not sure what to expect. Wondering if it is overcrowded or a fun time.
I haven't been personally, but from my experience the French Quarter is a disaster on a regular weekend with people drinking and partying until late in the night, making lots of noise and leaving lots of trash. It's got to be a thousand times worse if they have a festival. Sure, I'm sure there are nice times to be had and nice places to visit that don't have rowdy and drunk crowds, but I have a feeling that the majority of it is going to be like that. Now if you wanted to go to New Orleans and not go to the Festival, not stay in the French Quarter, or hang around any of the crowds, there are plenty of things to do and I'm sure it will be quite nice.

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »
The Jazz Festival is on a race track several miles away from French quarters and I think ends by 8 pm or so.  I’ve heard french quarters gets sloppy and disgusting but given the early finish and away from FQ, hoping the Jazz Festival is an older crowd enjoying music rather than a Mardi Gras crowd running around drunk or maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
The Jazz Festival is on a race track several miles away from French quarters and I think ends by 8 pm or so.  I’ve heard french quarters gets sloppy and disgusting but given the early finish and away from FQ, hoping the Jazz Festival is an older crowd enjoying music rather than a Mardi Gras crowd running around drunk or maybe wishful thinking on my part.
If the jazz festivals away from the French Quarter, you could be very nice. Especially if the crowd is older like you were hoping for it would be nice. My guess is that there will be a mix of people, both young and old, but it should still be nicer if it's not anywhere near the French Quarter.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
I updated the wiki. Both Waffles locations are no longer under Louisina Kashrus Committe (Rabbi Nemes of Chabad of Metairie) - only Casablanca and Kosher Cajun are still LKC. Waffles on Maple and Cafe Dumonds (2 locations each) are under Rabbi Greenberg (of Beth Israel). There's also a restaurant called Rimon in the Tulane Hillel, under the Hillel Rabbi, Rabbi Schiller. I was told by someone at the OU yes to LKC, no to Rabbi Greenberg, and I haven't gotten a chance to ask about Rabbi Schiller (I'll try to report back).

I'm planning a few day trip with my wife and newborn at the end of this month. I'd like to take advantage of the minyanim (shachris at Chabad near Tulane and mincha/maariv at Chabad in Metairie) and food - so I likely need a car no matter what. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to stay near Tulane and drive to activities, and then minyan/food in the evenings. I'm a little worried about parking for all the activities in the touristy areas. Is that even doable, or should I just plan to take the streetcar?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
I updated the wiki. Both Waffles locations are no longer under Louisina Kashrus Committe (Rabbi Nemes of Chabad of Metairie) - only Casablanca and Kosher Cajun are still LKC. Waffles on Maple and Cafe Dumonds (2 locations each) are under Rabbi Greenberg (of Beth Israel). There's also a restaurant called Rimon in the Tulane Hillel, under the Hillel Rabbi, Rabbi Schiller. I was told by someone at the OU yes to LKC, no to Rabbi Greenberg, and I haven't gotten a chance to ask about Rabbi Schiller (I'll try to report back).

I'm planning a few day trip with my wife and newborn at the end of this month. I'd like to take advantage of the minyanim (shachris at Chabad near Tulane and mincha/maariv at Chabad in Metairie) and food - so I likely need a car no matter what. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to stay near Tulane and drive to activities, and then minyan/food in the evenings. I'm a little worried about parking for all the activities in the touristy areas. Is that even doable, or should I just plan to take the streetcar?
Thanks for the updates. IIRC Uber was not expensive

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »

Feel free to PM, I can answer most questions you have

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2019, 07:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the updates. IIRC Uber was not expensive
Uber is relatively cheap in nola, it depends how much/where you will be driving if you should rent or uber

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
Uber is relatively cheap in nola, it depends how much/where you will be driving if you should rent or uber
And the entire French Quarter is very walkable and very hard to drive and park in.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
And the entire French Quarter is very walkable and very hard to drive and park in.
True, however you can park nearby relatively easily.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »
True, however you can park nearby relatively easily.
We just walked all around and took a street car when we needed to. It's cool to take one anyway.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »
We just walked all around and took a street car when we needed to. It's cool to take one anyway.
Been living here 3+ years and have never taken the street car

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
Been living here 3+ years and have never taken the street car
It's a tourist attraction, not something you'd do.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
It's a tourist attraction, not something you'd do.
I’m aware, just a lot of people say we should do it.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2019, 09:49:28 PM »

That's really sad about the waffle place. Easily the best waffles I've ever had in the US.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »
That's really sad about the waffle place. Easily the best waffles I've ever had in the US.
+1, their pizza is pretty good too

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
We didn't have such a hard time parking and driving during the day, nighttime would be a different story.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
We didn't have such a hard time parking and driving during the day, nighttime would be a different story.
Depends on the day and what is going on in town,
Couldn’t get through yesterday due to the preparations for Mardi Gras

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »
Anyone have any experience with swamp tours? Is it worth going this time of year (end of March)? I'm considering a park ranger guided nature walk in Barataria Preserve instead of a boat tour. Would that be a worthwhile replacement?

Also, I see that there are something like 6 different plantations that offer their own tours. Any recommendations for the best of those?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:20:26 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
Anyone have any experience with swamp tours? Is it worth going this time of year (end of March)? I'm considering a park ranger guided nature walk in Barataria Preserve instead of a boat tour. Would that be a worthwhile replacement?

Also, I see that there are something like 6 different plantations that offer their own tours. Any recommendations for the best of those?
Posted my TR here. Added it to the wiki of this thread and the master wiki thread.

In case anyone was wondering, we did the guided walk in Barataria instead of a boat based swamp tour, and we were very happy. We ended up picking Whitney and Destrehan for plantations. Whitney was very good, Destrehan only so-so.